DCS: Kola Discussion

20 minutes ago, Germane said:

Thank you for the Info. That sounds not so good. Are there any infos that ED is working on it and we can have better textures to release?

This is the info we have.

Names censored for privacy reasons.

Screenshot_20240425_220455_Facebook.jpg

• Like 5

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

EA coming on May 4th according to today's newsletter.

• Like 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

20 hours ago, Germane said:

Thank you for the Info. That sounds not so good. Are there any infos that ED is working on it and we can have better textures to release?

I thought it sounded awesome because we already know ED is hard at work updating the underlying code for maps.  With some nudging from one of the best terrain developers in the business I can see that happening sooner, and with better effect.  We might not get all the eye candy today, but it's coming and the eye candy we get will almost certainly be my primary background once we get the EA.

• Like 1

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Raisuli:

I thought it sounded awesome because we already know ED is hard at work updating the underlying code for maps.  With some nudging from one of the best terrain developers in the business I can see that happening sooner, and with better effect.  We might not get all the eye candy today, but it's coming and the eye candy we get will almost certainly be my primary background once we get the EA.

Well, we will see. OnReTech reched their limits with their new mesh system because of the DCS core and also Razbam had already the problem with the file size with the SA map, so i dont see any improvements anytime soon. But lets hope the best

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 5:48 PM, Northstar98 said:

Note that this appears to show an area around Bodø Main Air Station, looking north-west from just past the eastern extremity of the airbase.

Note that the museum appears to be missing, but this could possibly be intentional to better represent the map at an earlier point in time. One thing I'd draw attention to is the radome, which looks like the exact thing (AN/FPS-129 HAVE STARE, better known as GLOBUS II) stationed at Vardø Defence Station, on the eastern extremity of Vardøya. This is primarily for intelligence gathering on Russian ballistic missiles and for tracking launches out of Plesetsk).

There is a radar where the radome is in the screenshot, but it's likely an ASR and is next to what looks like a control tower (though for what seems to be a vehicle garage) and is quite a bit smaller than the GLOBUS II. There is another radome present on the base itself, at what some sources refer to as an EWR station, though note that immediately to the west looks strikingly like a HAWK site, albeit configured as a platoon (3 launchers + 1 HPIR) instead of a battery (which would have 6 launchers and 2 HPIRs).

Probably not something people will care too much about, but I thought I'd mention this in case anyone is interested.

781274E9-0F48-4CB1-9069-5649755F8CC9.jpg

That radar dome is actually Norways first civilian radardome (also housing its first radar). Originally it was at Fornebu (Oslo) airport until 1993 (installed in the 60's). The control tower is the old control tower at Namsos airport, Norways first short runway airport as such the tower itself was fairly small. The garage underneath is for equipment which is in place at small airports around Norway.

It's all right next to Norway's aviation museum (a part of the civilian side of it) and although you can't enter those at any given time, they are open now and then under some occasions.

Bodø had for a time a Norwegian adapted HAWK system (based on MIM-23B), they only lasted 9 years (1986-1995) when they where replaced by NASAMS. Norway didnt have missile based air defence at air stations until the mid 80's.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Falch said:

That radar dome is actually Norways first civilian radardome (also housing its first radar). Originally it was at Fornebu (Oslo) airport until 1993 (installed in the 60's). The control tower is the old control tower at Namsos airport, Norways first short runway airport as such the tower itself was fairly small. The garage underneath is for equipment which is in place at small airports around Norway.

It's all right next to Norway's aviation museum (a part of the civilian side of it) and although you can't enter those at any given time, they are open now and then under some occasions.

Bodø had for a time a Norwegian adapted HAWK system (based on MIM-23B), they only lasted 9 years (1986-1995) when they where replaced by NASAMS. Norway didnt have missile based air defence at air stations until the mid 80's.

Much appreciated! Thank you! :thumbup:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, Falch said:

Interesting. Were was the Nike batteries placed if not by the air stations?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Interesting. Were was the Nike batteries placed if not by the air stations?

Around Oslo, there were supposedly 4 batteries:

• A, Asker - here's where the launch site was and here's where the associated radar/control site was.
  • B, Nes - here's where the launch site was, can't seem to pin down where the associated radar/control site was, though most sources point to here (though nothing can be seen in satellite imagery and it's a bit further from the launch site compared to the others).
  • C, Trøgstad - here's where the launch site was and here's where the associated radar/control site was. 
  • D, Våler - here's where the launch site was and here's where the associated radar/control site was.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 minute ago, Northstar98 said:

• A, Asker - here's where the launch site was and here's where the associated radar/control site was.
  • B, Nes - here's where the launch site was, can't seem to pin down where the associated radar/control site was, though most sources point to here (though nothing can be seen in satellite imagery and it's a bit further from the launch site compared to the others).
  • C, Trøgstad - here's where the launch site was and here's where the associated radar/control site was. 
  • D, Våler - here's where the launch site was and here's where the associated radar/control site was.

Cool, thank you. I think they were gone long before I was born and grew up in the area.

• Like 1

Cool, thank you. I think they were gone long before I was born and grew up in the area.
A. Vestmarksetra. They had roadsigns to "Nike batteriet" when I was a kid. The only place you can "see" from Oslo. The other sites are nowhere near.

B. Has left it traces it seems. "Nike road".

a981721e37b3f44ed3d3d9d96fd8389d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

And out of those 4 batteries, the only part that's largely intact and available to the public is the radar site at Trøgstad fort.

rakett2.png

Edited by drPhibes
  • Like 3

One thing I want to touch on from the recent newsletter (release next week! :surprise:)

The DCS: Kola map by Orbx will be released into early access on the 3rd of May 2024 bringing a new and engaging region to DCS. [...] This area is home to the Russian Northern Fleet, the submarine pens of Polyarny, strategic air bases such as Severomorsk and Olegnegorsk, and several Finnish, Swedish, and Norwegian air bases, and road runways!

What submarine pens at Polyarnyy? The only thing I've seen resembling a submarine pen (an underground berth, though allegedly unfinished) is at Guba Yagelnaya/Gadzhievo, which is one of the SSBN bases, further to the north (though seems to be in a state of disrepair).

Polyarnyy just has piers and docks.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System:

35 minutes ago, zerO_crash said:

Maybe you can get it translated. Enjoy, chummer 😘

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

http://kfss.ru/content/ukrytie-podvodnyh-lodok-pavlovskoe

https://dzen.ru/a/XfZQ2JyURgCtlDWp

Мы были готовы ко всему.

Very cool - I appreciate the links. :thumbup:

Though this particular example is on the opposite side of the planet to Polyarnyy. There's supposed to be another underground shelter at Guba Ara but I can't seem to find it.

• Like 1

System:

While the whole post might seem outside the topic, it is to give insight on what the nuclear subpen at Guba Ara (Kola Peninsula) would look like, with infrastructure, designer mentality, facility, logistics and sustainability. Ultimately, Guva Ara was mostly built (the main pens), with smaller details remaining unfinished. While there are no more pictures of what it looked like (they were very scarce to begin with), I therefore decided to show the three main nuclear submarine underground bases that USSR had. That, because there is much information on the two other ones (one being a museum nowadays). By seeing how the others are built, it will give you a understanding of what lies more or less in Kola peninsula. It will give an even better insight into what it would have been, if it was used for the designed purpose. Enjoy:

The shelter at Guba Ara, was built '71-'73 (supposedly mostly complete), but strategical plans changed, and was actually never used for its purpose (underground nuclear shelter for submarines, as well as rearming- and repair- point. There were a few pictures from it before, but almost all are deleted.

The one I posed earlier, is from Petro Pavlovsk, essentially - eastern fleet.

Here's about the best you can find nowadays:

Northern Fleet

They had, as mentioned above, the underground base at Ara Guba. It was mostly finished, but never used (strategy). Murmansk being one of the most sensitive regions, even before the war, has little information available publicly. This has become even worse (many websites deleted) since the start of the war in Ukraine. Her is a plan of the base, outlining three submarine pens:

IMG_0302.jpeg

The information is otherwise very scarce, and none of the formerly few available photos are available anymore. For metrics, the three pens are 30mx30m (crossection) and have the length of 400m each. This was definitely the biggest base of them all.

Here is some information about it:

https://armystandard.ru/news/2022621937-dfq3B.html/amp/

http://wikimapia.org/12099450/ru/Недостроенная-подземная-база-укрытие-и-завод-по-ремонту-подводных-лодок-«Губа-Ара»#google_vignette

https://www.ara-guba.ru/2012/12/08/prokhodka/

Black Sea Fleet

This is the underground nuclear submarine base in Balaklava. It was, and is huge as well. Again, due to change in strategy, it has become a museum for visitors to see. As such, information is plentiful on the topic. 

IMG_0306.jpeg

The main and only pen, is 505m long. Dimensions are 6.5m - 8m x 6.5m - 8m. This pen was mostly was small to medium submarines, where 9 could be held altogether (8 inside the canal and 1 in the sheltered pier by the entrence). 

Here is a multitude of information and photos:

Part:  https://russos.livejournal.com/210363.html

Part II: https://russos.livejournal.com/211135.html

https://www.vladmuz.ru/travel_photos/balaklava/k-825/

The Pacific Fleet

This is the nuclear subpen at Petro Pavlovsk, and served as a base for the Russian Pacific Fleet. There is now plenty of material available on the this base, as it is abandoned.

IMG_0305.jpeg

IMG_0299.jpeg

There are two parallel tunnels in this base. Both, connected by passages. The bigger tunnel (#1 on the schematic) is the one filled with water. It measurs 450m length according to the information in the facility. GPS measurement, places it at 650m length, however. The width is 19m and height 10m - 12m. The second tunnel (#2 on the schematic), is really a huge hall that measures 225m length, supported by width of 8m and height 10m - 12m. As can be seen from the second picture, there are three entrances from the west to the main tunnel (#1), each approximately 200m long. There is also the main entrance from the bay, south. In total, there's 8 entrances/exits. 

Here you'll find plenty of information and sources:

https://4-e.livejournal.com/229433.html

As a additional interesting source, I am adding a website, which contains photos and notes on much of the former military infrastructure of the Pacific (USSR), that stands now abandoned. Have a look:

http://kfss.ru/index.php/objekts/82-kp

11 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Very cool - I appreciate the links. :thumbup:

Though this particular example is on the opposite side of the planet to Polyarnyy. There's supposed to be another underground shelter at Guba Ara but I can't seem to find it.

I noticed it very quickly, enjoy the corrected one. Sadly, you won't find much on Guba Ara anymore. Information-wise, we are back in Cold War. (Not that you would ever find much on Murmansk. There is a closed FB-group for former employees at Guba Ara. That's about it 😂).

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While the whole post might seem outside the topic, it is to give insight on what the nuclear subpen at Guba Ara (Kola Peninsula) would look like, with infrastructure, designer mentality, facility, logistics and sustainability. Ultimately, Guva Ara was mostly built (the main pens), with smaller details remaining unfinished. While there are no more pictures of what it looked like (they were very scarce to begin with), I therefore decided to show the three main nuclear submarine underground bases that USSR had. That, because there is much information on the two other ones (one being a museum nowadays). By seeing how the others are built, it will give you a understanding of what lies more or less in Kola peninsula. It will give an even better insight into what it would have been, if it was used for the designed purpose. Enjoy:

The shelter at Guba Ara, was built '71-'73 (supposedly mostly complete), but strategical plans changed, and was actually never used for its purpose (underground nuclear shelter for submarines, as well as rearming- and repair- point. There were a few pictures from it before, but almost all are deleted.

The one I posed earlier, is from Petro Pavlovsk, essentially - eastern fleet.

Here's about the best you can find nowadays:

Northern Fleet
They had, as mentioned above, the underground base at Ara Guba. It was mostly finished, but never used (strategy). Murmansk being one of the most sensitive regions, even before the war, has little information available publicly. This has become even worse (many websites deleted) since the start of the war in Ukraine. Her is a plan of the base, outlining three submarine pens:

IMG_0302.thumb.jpeg.68fc9e25aa2c0a05ad89fc76a13d2b86.jpeg
The information is otherwise very scarce, and none of the formerly few available photos are available anymore. For metrics, the three pens are 30mx30m (crossection) and have the length of 400m each. This was definitely fhe biggest base of them all.

Here is some information about it:
https://armystandard.ru/news/2022621937-dfq3B.html/amp/
http://wikimapia.org/12099450/ru/Недостроенная-подземная-база-укрытие-и-завод-по-ремонту-подводных-лодок-«Губа-Ара»#google_vignette
https://www.ara-guba.ru/2012/12/08/prokhodka/

Black Sea Fleet
This is the underground nuclear submarine base in Balaklava. It was, and is huge as well. Again, due to change in strategy, it has become a museum for visitors to see. As such, information is plentiful on the topic. 

IMG_0306.thumb.jpeg.fb86ad61b995d936988da3e35b298df1.jpeg
The main and only pen, is 505m long. Dimensions are 6.5m - 8m x 6.5m - 8m. This pen was mostly was small to medium submarines, where 9 could be held altogether (8 inside the canal and 1 in the sheltered pier by the entrence). 

Here is a multitude of information and photos:
Part:  https://russos.livejournal.com/210363.html
Part II: https://russos.livejournal.com/211135.html
https://www.vladmuz.ru/travel_photos/balaklava/k-825/

The Pacific Fleet
This is the nuclear subpen at Petro Pavlovsk, and served as a base for the Russian Pacific Fleet. There is now plenty of material available on the this base, as it is abandoned.

IMG_0305.thumb.jpeg.80006455fe833cd994cbd506049de3e1.jpeg
IMG_0299.thumb.jpeg.0d30b63adfc629ca2c999507063ae7b9.jpeg

There are two parallel tunnels in this base. Both, connected by passages. The bigger tunnel (#1 on the schematic) is the one filled with water. It measurs 450m length according to the information in the facility. GPS measurement, places it at 650m length, however. The width is 19m and height 10m - 12m. The second tunnel (#2 on the schematic), is really a huge hall that measures 225m length, supported by width of 8m and height 10m - 12m. As can be seen from the second picture, there are three entrances from the west to the main tunnel (#1), each approximately 200m long. There is also the main entrance from the bay, south. In total, there's 8 entrances/exits. 

Here you'll find plenty of information and sources:

https://4-e.livejournal.com/229433.html

As a additional interesting source, I am adding a website, which contains photos and notes on much of the former military infrastructure of the Pacific (USSR), that stands now abandoned. Have a look:

http://kfss.ru/index.php/objekts/82-kp

I noticed it very quickly, enjoy the corrected one. Sadly, you won't find much on Guba Ara anymore. Information-wise, we are back in Cold War. (Not that you would ever find much on Murmansk. There is a closed FB-group for former employees at Guba Ara. That's about it ).
Infiltrate?

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zerO_crash said:

[...]

Thank you very much for all of this! Very much appreciated! I absolutely enjoyed reading all of that :thumbup:

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

System: