[BUG] Constant Blackouts During Catapult Launches

77StevenV

I noticed after the most recent update that I now experience a momentary blackout in both the F-14A and F-14B during all catapult launches regardless of throttle position (even with the throttles retarded to only around 25-30%). I'm wondering if this is possibly an unintended result of the ground handling and suspension overhaul from the May 18 patch. Head position and trim settings do not appear to have any effect on it either.

As a test I temporarily reverted back to the previous version of DCS (2.8.4.39731) and the blackout phenomenon that I was experiencing was no longer an issue when attempted under identical conditions. So, I have to assume that this an effect of something that changed in the most recent update (2.8.5.40170).

My tests so far were limited to hot start launches while spawning already attached to the catapult... so it may ultimately only be a problem under those circumstances. I will test the "cold start" and "hot start from ramp" options next to see if I get similar results.

Update: The issue appears to be connected to take-off weight. Any loadout that exceeds 60,000 lbs. seems to trigger the blackout at launch. Loadouts under that figure do not cause the momentary blackout.

Edited by 77StevenV
  • Like 2

I launched 3-4 times today all without black out from IA F-14B Carrier Quals SC @2.8.5 MT VR.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

A quick update... I did some more experimenting and was able to replicate draconus's results from the qualification mission with both the A and B models. No blackouts after several attempts. It occurred to me that the loadout was considerably different here when compared to the other missions that I had been attempting. It seems as though the issue is connected to take-off weight. Any loadout that exceeds 60,000 lbs. seems to trigger the blackouts at launch. Loadouts under that figure do not cause the momentary blackout.

• Like 5

yes, I am also suffering from quite a few blackouts.

I have tried to lower the weight of the tomcat (like 77StenenV), and it seems that with light loads I don´t suffer blackouts.

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

I just tried launching from cat with weight under 60K pounds.. and it still blackouts.. tought oddly it did for a second in the middle of the launch..not at start not after leaving the cat.. weight was 59700 less the fuel burned taxing and launching...

Everyone else flying Tomcats in the server confirmed they are getting blackouts in every launch.. Also the pitching  issue the plane pitches up a LOT right after leaving the cat.. saw myself a lot of people oscilating like crazy on Tomcat launches

Edited by SparrowLT

• Silhou changed the title to [BUG] Constant Blackouts During Catapult Launches