Apple's new headset ?

MNissen

Apple VR Headset - good for DCS?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Apple VR Headset - good for DCS?

• Yes
    • No

I look forward to all the "how do I get  this to work on my PC" threads...

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Watching the live stream now...

OT: Gaming mode and porting tools -- DCS World on macOS?!

Here we go... AR is coming...Apple Vision Pro...May not be relevant to VR HMD. It is killing the "metaverse" or whatever Meta is trying to do.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

OMG

go figure only Apple could take VR/AR mainstream and make the hardware elegant. They just curb stomped Meta. Compare that launch to the Zuckerverse and it’s Lego people. 
The most significant tech launch of the century  

The Motorola brick just became the iPhone  

Starting at $3,499 😁

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

OMG

go figure only Apple could take VR/AR mainstream and make the hardware elegant. They just curb stomped Meta. Compare that launch to the Zuckerverse and it’s Lego people. 

There is no way this $3500 device is going to take VR mainstream. Huge disappointment. Even the resolution is lower than reported, price is higher, 2 hour battery life, and it basically projects 2D iOS apps onto your field of view. Which is better than a monitor because…. 

As expected no mention of PCVR compatibility. Which means a solid nope.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

This is a swing and a miss. Not many are going to want to wear goggles all day at work. And very few people are going to want one for $3,500 to watch movies or "facetime" their friends. No wonder Apple cut the production numbers. 

And no mention of using it as a VR headset is laughable. 

Edited by Callsign.Vega

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

7 minutes ago, ackattacker said:

There is no way this $3500 device is going to take VR mainstream. Huge disappointment. Even the resolution is lower than reported, price is higher, 2 hour battery life, and it basically projects 2D iOS apps onto your field of view. Which is better than a monitor because…. 

As expected no mention of PCVR compatibility. Which means a solid nope.

But like all tech it’s going to get cheaper and better. they just made the clunky VR HMD with no real use for most people into an elegant slick must have device. PCVR is no good because you’ve gotta have a PC. This is a PC and a TV and a camera and a concert hall and 3D home movies and on and on. 

9 minutes ago, Callsign.Vega said:

This is a swing and a miss. Not many are going to want to wear goggles all day at work. And very few people are going to want one for $3,500 to watch movies or "facetime" their friends.

Yeah you could also see this as a Mac you wear on your face. But wow it sure is slick. Every other HMD maker just went back to the drawing boated. Like the iPhone just obliterated every other cell phone. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

My thought is, the original VR application has nothing to do with entertainment or personal use. The revived tech is about a decade ago and again it did not start out as what we know today.  It is too early to laugh at this effort because this is what mobile communication started about 50 years ago. What Apple is showing here is simply stunning technically with the same scary price tag.

I really don't like to external battery solution.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

While expensive it will be more proof of concept for tech that will become cheaper and more available in the future to the benefit of VR gaming and sims. Personally I'll be likely looking at the possibility of replacing my G1 with the Quest 3 with it's pancake lens and better panels, later in the year.

I've spent a few quid building a new 7800X3d, 64gb system, with a 4090 due in the next week or so to replace my old 2080.  If the new Index replacement surfaces with eye tracking I'll switch to that.

Edited by Zoomer

This is more like an AR headset with spatial computing, and less like a VR headset (low-end Mac computer or high end iPAD with OLED screens and 12 cameras).  It pretty much obsoletes all of the current AR tech out there though.  Apple is known to release disruptive products like this (iPod, watches, phones, etc).  Probably has no effect on VR sims as it'll be used within Apple ecosystem.  They don't need to make it PC compatibie as their App store alone already has over a trillion dollars/yr in revenue.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Maybe we could ask them nicely to do an "Apple" quality version of a VR full fidelity combat simulator on a world scale to go with the pretty headset...

• Like 1

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

It looks like Apple is bringing back 3D movies as well as VR interactive movies with these headsets.  3D live sports stream with AR features is also something that is ground breaking. They might get my money based on these features alone.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Close to 5K per eye w/HDR and pack a PC level chip + 12ms latency…need that became new standard for all major VR headsets next year. So we could enjoy in DCS.

7800X3D /3090 /64GB /SSD 2T+4T /Quest3<-(Pico4<-Rift S <-Rift CV1) /Orion F18 /DOFReality P6; Win11

$3500 has to be a deal breaker for the vast majority of the PC gamer market, including DCS.

For that amount you can get an outstanding gaming PC.

If you are the average PC gamer/DCS player I just don't see that Apple as an option.

I'm not sure what they are thinking with that price point.

AV8B Desert 3 Signature Pic 500 x 100.png

2 minutes ago, 1BRAVO9 said:

$3500 has to be a deal breaker for the vast majority of the PC gamer market, including DCS.

If you are the average PC gamer/DCS player I just don't see that Apple as an option.

They're most likely aiming at pro-sumers where the price isn't that important and not counting on large sales numbers in the beginning.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

16 minutes ago, Hiob said:

They're most likely aiming at pro-sumers where the price isn't that important and not counting on large sales numbers in the beginning.

I'm not so sure.

Initially Apple was targeting the sale of 3M within the first year of release.

Now after the announcement the projected sales are expected to be 150,000.

150,000 with be considered a failure.

16 years ago, people spent days in lines around the block to buy iPhones. Apple is announcing a new gadget today, and no one seems to care. (yahoo.com)

Edited by 1BRAVO9

I'm genuinely taken aback by the negative response I've seen. The presentation showcased an impressive level of attention to detail and remarkable hardware innovations.
Instead of focusing on the negatives, we should be rallying behind the widespread acceptance of VR. Even if the headset doesn't fully live up to the hype, it has achieved significant milestones that I've eagerly anticipated for years.
Putting aside the cost factor, it's worth acknowledging that Apple has utilized all its available resources to make an unprecedented push in the industry's history towards creating a top-tier headset. That alone deserves commendation. I'm certain the likes of Meta, Varjo and dare I say it Pimax are taking note and will be innovating. We all win

• Like 2

"Hands-on: Apple Vision Pro isn’t for Gaming, But it Does Everything Else Better".

https://www.roadtovr.com/apple-vision-pro-xr-hands-on-preview/

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I’m pretty amazed by it. If I had to imagine what an Apple HMD would be like I suppose this would be it. I’m just amazed that the technology is at this point to make it a realty. It figured Apple wouldn’t do this halfway until it was possible. They didn’t make a smart phone until the form factor of the iPhone was achievable either. They needed to aim high with it and that’s the resulting price tag. But if you don’t show people what this really can be then the whole endeavor might just falter. VR is in a rut where nobody has figured out what it’s for yet. HMD sales are down 20% this year and half of Quest 2s are unused six months after they’re sold. So clearly Apple needs to reinvigorate the tech. 

3 minutes ago, YoYo said:

"Hands-on: Apple Vision Pro isn’t for Gaming, But it Does Everything Else Better".

https://www.roadtovr.com/apple-vision-pro-xr-hands-on-preview/

Key point here. VR can’t just be gaming or it’s doomed. 

14 minutes ago, nikoel said:

I'm genuinely taken aback by the negative response I've seen. The presentation showcased an impressive level of attention to detail and remarkable hardware innovations.
Instead of focusing on the negatives, we should be rallying behind the widespread acceptance of VR. Even if the headset doesn't fully live up to the hype, it has achieved significant milestones that I've eagerly anticipated for years.
Putting aside the cost factor, it's worth acknowledging that Apple has utilized all its available resources to make an unprecedented push in the industry's history towards creating a top-tier headset. That alone deserves commendation. I'm certain the likes of Meta, Varjo and dare I say it Pimax are taking note and will be innovating. We all win

The tech - from what coverage I've seen, is impressive. And I would absolutely love to try it. But something between 4000-4500 € here in europe? There is no way I would direct that amount of money to something like this, even if I could - and I'm somebody who would rather skip a holiday to update my PC.... 😁

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

It really shows the flaws of the other HMD designs. #1 is screen resolution. Until that’s sharp enough to watch movies or read text the device just won’t be appealing. It’s the first thing you noticed about the Oculus. Hey this is cool but it’s like wearing a screen door. Of all the features to put into these I’m sure the screen res was the easiest one to accomplish. Yet directing these at gaming meant keeping this low so graphics cards could handle it. Targeting the device at gaming was a mistake if it meant handicapping resolution. Weak or no pass through video is another blunder, heck look at how people need to peak at their keyboards under their nose. You need to see the real world in very good resolution or you’re just shut inside the headset. The Apple design, just like the iPhone will get emulated by everyone else now. But it took a good design company to get the form factor right. 

3 hours ago, 1BRAVO9 said:

Apple's design is not for the PC gaming market. It never was stated or marketed as such. Remember, it is Apple. They are looking at beyond PC VR gaming. Only time will tell how successful it will be for them.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Correction: Apple Vision Pro is for gaming, as long as the gaming is on Apple Arcade+ or the app (it supports iOS) developed for the headset.

It seems to connect to other Apple devices via WiFi so it is definitely not for PCVR, for the moment. As the tradition of Apple, gaming was never their first and foremost market.

I would say it is very industrial / business oriented like HTC.

It crushes the Zucker-verse on the get go...and I am a Meta user for PCVR only. 🙂

• Like 1

From what I've seen, isn't the tech simply rehashing what has been done by ultraleap for the handtracking and varjo for the eyetracking/foveated rendering & stereoscopic passthrough, tied together with good software?

Sure they've polished it into the ecosystem and made it very apple, but the tech has been there for a good while in other places.  They missed a trick by not having ultrasonic haptic feedback though 😄

If the product survives, competitors flourish and tech trickledown happens then that's a positive though 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

24 minutes ago, dburne said:

Apple's design is not for the PC gaming market. It never was stated or marketed as such. Remember, it is Apple. They are looking at beyond PC VR gaming. Only time will tell how successful it will be for them.

I never said it was.

Did you read the thread?