Radar Elevation Rotary Knob

So the radar elevation rotary knob on the Strike Eagle works like the Hornet? It actually doesn't work like a knob/slide but a spring-loaded switch that centers after you release it? I tried to find the answer in the manual but it doesn't really explain it. 

On my HOTAS, my radar elevation is a rotary knob, so if it's not centered, the elevation setting in the jet will just keep moving up or down, which is kind of hard to use. Could RAZBAM add a special option to make the radar elevation knob works like a slider like on the F-16? 

Edited by SCPanda
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

As the OP states, it works like in the Hornet. And I suppose that's how the antenna elevation control works in the real thing.
As far as I'm concerned, I use the coolie hat switch on my TM Warthog throttle and I'm happy with that.
I also tried using the slider on my throttle and that worked fine for me. But if your slider doesn't provide tactile feedback of its center position you would not be able to set it to center and the antenna might creep up or down.
So I guess it's logical for Razbam to implement the realistic function (rate of change axis), but they should certainly implement a binding for an absolute position axis as well.
I would find it even better if ED provided an axis functionality that supports both for absolute position and rate of change.

• Like 5

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 months later...

I was about to ask this very same question, but found this...

So it won't ever be possible to operate it by a centered rotary axis producing absolute values as per the F-15C?

It's a lot slower to operate on a non spring centered rotary for it requires two movements, one to move, another to make it stop, not the best option to using it this way...

I believe most of us will end up using buttons instead. 😞

+1

Edited by Muas

• 1 month later...

same here, me and my buddy we have the winwing f16 throttle and the radar elevation on this is a slider which is not spring loaded.

To be honest on this winwing orion throttle and on my pre tm warthog throttle im not aware of any spring based rotary so it would make sense to implement that as a special option or as an additional control.

IMO it doesnt add realism since like only the very minority of us use the adequate throttle for each plane so there has to be some works around 🙂

+1

• Like 1

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

On 1/19/2024 at 9:57 AM, MarkP said:

same here, me and my buddy we have the winwing f16 throttle and the radar elevation on this is a slider which is not spring loaded.

To be honest on this winwing orion throttle and on my pre tm warthog throttle im not aware of any spring based rotary so it would make sense to implement that as a special option or as an additional control.

IMO it doesnt add realism since like only the very minority of us use the adequate throttle for each plane so there has to be some works around 🙂

+1

Not to mention that on the Winwing F-15E throttle they messed up the radar elevation axis and made it a slider instead of a spring loaded return to center axis like in the real thing. Don't understand why companies sell something as "replica" but don't do the required research or add their own stuff to it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen, do not compare the F/A-18C radar elevation "switch" to the knob in the F-15C/E.
They work completely differently. In the F-15 it is a simple "knob" and only the pilot decides in what position he stops the antenna by turning the knob, it works completely differently in the Hornet.
I use Warthog every day, so I don't have the knob - but I tested it by connecting the throttle from the T-16000 set and the knob works as it should in the F-15E and C. You turn the knob up or down and where you stop turning, the antenna remains. And that's how it should be. If you have access to FMs from the F-15 and F/A-18, check them out.

2 hours ago, Nahen said:

Gentlemen, do not compare the F/A-18C radar elevation "switch" to the knob in the F-15C/E.
They work completely differently. In the F-15 it is a simple "knob" and only the pilot decides in what position he stops the antenna by turning the knob, it works completely differently in the Hornet.
I use Warthog every day, so I don't have the knob - but I tested it by connecting the throttle from the T-16000 set and the knob works as it should in the F-15E and C. You turn the knob up or down and where you stop turning, the antenna remains. And that's how it should be. If you have access to FMs from the F-15 and F/A-18, check them out.

The radar elevation in F-15E works the same as it does in the FA-18C.

It controls the 'rate' of the elevation. If the axis is in a position other than neutral, the radar elevation will remain in motion.

This is true in real life and in the module in DCS.

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

21 hours ago, Nahen said:

It means that the manuals for both machines lie. Or I don't understand concepts such as "rotate", "push"...

idk what manuals you are reading, but I'm looking at wording that explicitly describes 'elevation rate control'.

Additionally there are SMEs who confirm that strike eagle radar elevation is a rate control, not a position control.

• Like 3

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2