Why does the outside world look terrible in VR?

Callsign.Vega

So I've been bouncing back and forth between my Pimax Crystal and 4K monitor.. and something has stood out at me. Keeping the same graphical settings, 4K monitor at 4K resolution, and Crystal at 100% native resolution.

On the 4K monitor, both the cockpit and the outside world (ground, buildings, other airplanes) look clear crisp and detailed. But with the Crystal in VR, the cockpit is super clear but the outside world (ground, buildings, other airplanes) look like poo. Flickering, popping textures, low resolution, fuzzy aircraft etc. 

What am I missing? System in sig. 

Edited by Callsign.Vega
  • Like 2

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Only tried with the Crystal so far. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Without any hints for your DCS settings, it's not possible to give you a good answer. If u can, give us some screenshots through the lenses.

Could it be, this is your first VR experience?

If you play with a VR HMD it's like you are playing at a 4k 90" screen, 2 meters away from you. The "small" 4k 2d display hides most of the current issues DCS has (mostly flickering textures). In VR you see all the problems like through a magnifying glass. What you describe sounds "normal" to me.

• Like 2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

Yeah distant scenery in VR is not so sharply detailed.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR is not as sharp as a monitor.  Consider if your 4k monitor occupy 60 degree of your field of view, this equates to 60+ pixels per degree (PPD).  Your Crystal has 35 PPD, which is much less but still the best resolution you can expect from VR so far.  The VR proposition is: Instead of looking at a simulation, you are in the simulation.  You compromise image quality for immersion.

• Like 6

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:43 AM, Callsign.Vega said:

Crystal at 100% native resolution

I'm not familiar with the crystal but when you say native resolution do you mean the pixel resolution of the headset? Most headsets need to have the resolution set to 150% of the actual pixels to account for distortion etc. For example, the Pico 4 has a resolution of 2160x2160 per eye but should be set at 3240x3240 (godlike mode on virtual desktop) to get the best quality. You can also do this through steam VR and through the pixel density setting in DCS. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

well it is possible with the right blend of tweaks and settings to get great looking scenery etc in VR.......100%

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I find adding some CAS sharpening helps a lot for distance. I typically do this via OpenXR Toolkit. Not sure if you have that option available with the Pimax toolset you are using or not. When doing so you have to strike a happy medium between sharp and grainy. I use values depending upon the game anywhere between 60% - 90%

Edited by BazzaLB

Not sure if is still on the rule not talking about other flight simulators, but lately I’ve being flying in the “other” big flight simulator (mostly airliners) and have the same feeling OP has in DCS.

Different engines and render technology, of course, but there is a difference in clarity in the distance (cockpit is perfect in both). Don’t know why.

This was a known complaint with the Crystal Beta, clarity was lacking for objects and scenery at a distance. New glasses should have fixed this supposed 'focus' problem.

I wonder if this is the same (residual) issue you guys are experiencing.

On my Quest Pro (and Reverb G2) clarity is equal for all distances. 

I have the Crystal on order, this makes me apprehensive.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:31 AM, BazzaLB said:

I find adding some CAS sharpening helps a lot for distance. I typically do this via OpenXR Toolkit. Not sure if you have that option available with the Pimax toolset you are using or not. When doing so you have to strike a happy medium between sharp and grainy. I use values depending upon the game anywhere between 60% - 90%

You can also use my mod to set different sharpen settings for outside world and cockpit.

• Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

On 6/30/2023 at 12:43 AM, Callsign.Vega said:

So I've been bouncing back and forth between my Pimax Crystal and 4K monitor.. and something has stood out at me. Keeping the same graphical settings, 4K monitor at 4K resolution, and Crystal at 100% native resolution.

On the 4K monitor, both the cockpit and the outside world (ground, buildings, other airplanes) look clear crisp and detailed. But with the Crystal in VR, the cockpit is super clear but the outside world (ground, buildings, other airplanes) look like poo. Flickering, popping textures, low resolution, fuzzy aircraft etc. 

Not really gonna beat the crispness of a 2d monitor - closest is a Varjo Aero and prescription inserts. 2D is truly amazing in DCS that's where it truly shines. Sometimes I wonder "Sometimes" why I even switched to VR and mostly its because of the immersion of really sitting in a cockpit and feeling to G's that's not felt in 2D pancake mode. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Quality of the hmd and poor anti aliasing. Currently running a Reveb G1 with a 4090. I run without msaa and am happy with the resolution (above the res of the G1) and 90fps, but we need DLSS / proper AA. New hmds with better panels will bring the increased quality to match monitors. Still I can only fly in VR and will never return to pancake mode, no comparison. If VR stopped being supported in DCS I'd never fly again despite spending a considerable sum on a simpit, perpherals and probably the best PC build that can be built atm.

I may go the quest pro route or wait for the new valve hmd.

On 7/4/2023 at 2:06 AM, nachomaga said:

Not sure if is still on the rule not talking about other flight simulators, but lately I’ve being flying in the “other” big flight simulator (mostly airliners) and have the same feeling OP has in DCS.

Different engines and render technology, of course, but there is a difference in clarity in the distance (cockpit is perfect in both). Don’t know why.

Yup, why I returned my Crystal. Even with its resolution and glass lenses, only the cockpit looked clear. Outside world and other planes etc looked really low resolution. And the aliasing of wires/towers and flicker was super annoying.

I moved to Samsungs top of the line QN95C 65" 144 Hz 4K display for my sim pit and haven't looked back with regards to VR. IMO as a real pilot, the VR "in cockpit" feel I think is more impressive for non-pilots to experience but the novelty wore off on me quick. Wasn't worth all the negatives. 

Edited by Callsign.Vega

10 hours ago, BazzaLB said:

Did you try some CAS Sharpening first? Did you run MSAA?

Not sure if you are asking Vega, but I use max MSAA in DCS, but from last year I think is not working very well in VR.

CAS Sharpening is a reshade thing, right? never tried.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:43 AM, Callsign.Vega said:

Welcome in Todays VR World. Wait a little, maybe in 2028 the quality will be the same like on 2D monitor ;).

Some settings are possible but GPU for this not yet, maybe RTX 6090 :D?

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

4 hours ago, YoYo said:

Welcome in Todays VR World. Wait a little, maybe in 2028 the quality will be the same like on 2D monitor ;).

Some settings are possible but GPU for this not yet, maybe RTX 6090 :D?

Well the quality/performance cost curve is a moving target. So VR will never catch up with 2D

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, Qcumber said:

Until both VR and 2d exceed the capabilities of the eyeball. 

That would mean game graphics which are so good that they’re indistinguishable from reality. That point might indeed arrive. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5