SnapViews - View angle reset

_SteelFalcon_

DCS planes no longer reset the correct cockpit FOV when pressing View 'Zoom Normal'

Before: (Repro steps and previous behavior)

1) Start in cockpit, observe zoom level typically 100-100deg
2) Press Reset Zoom button, observe zoom now the normal default, typically 75-90deg

Now: (Repro steps and current behavior)

1) Start in cockpit,
   observe zoom level typically 100-100deg
2) Press Zoom Normal button,
   observe zoom now the normal default, no change

Work around:

3) Press LWin + num0 to view Snap1 view (Any snap view will work)
4) Press Zoom Normal button
   observe zoom now shows the correct default zoom

This is not new to v2.9 specific, happened in recent v2.8 for some time.
I don't know how long since I've been away from DCS for a while.

Now with v2.9 you can press ESC -> Options -> System and read 'Current field of view'.
Compare that with C:\Users\[name]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua
  And the Default slot for the aircraft you are flying.
  Only after the 'work around' will you see the correct value.

Deleting the SnapViews.lua does not change behavior. Issue does not appear to relate to any custom views.

DCS v2.9.0.460801

Edited by DimSim
Titling as duplicate but not deleting

• DimSim changed the title to Zoom Normal no longer resets cockpit zoom at flight start

This bug started on August Openbeta update, and its already reported:

hopefully it will be fixed soon 🙏

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• DimSim changed the title to Zoom Normal no longer resets cockpit zoom at flight start [Duplicate]
12 minutes ago, bingbean said:

I am really surprised how low number of players use the "Zoom normal" command and this bug don't have high priority to be fixed. 

That's probably because the DCS User manual does not explain neither the Snap-View Use, nor the View Zoom facility, so most users learn about this only by word of mouth with fellow players.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Very disappointing. The issue is still present in the HUGE update DCS 2.9.0.46801.

• Thanks 2

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

On 8/17/2023 at 12:03 AM, bwRavencl said:

Very annoying bug... I hope this gets hot-fixed asap...
I found the following workaround:

Press 'Right Ctrl + NUM 0' twice

This doesn't work for me in 2.9. Num Enter doesn't restore proper FOV afterwards. It seems that a value around 20 degrees is added to the set one.

What does work is switching seats in multi seat aircrafts. I don't have a workaround for single seaters though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

29 minutes ago, Havner said:

This doesn't work for me in 2.9

Strange, works on my dcs rig 

28 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Strange, works on my dcs rig 

Tested in F-16. I get the effect of the command (persistent HUD close up on first press, back to normal on second), so the command gets triggered. But NumEnter does not revert back to proper FOV afterwards. I'll check on more modules later on.

EDIT: Heh, indeed. I've tried ~5 more modules and it worked on every single one. But doesn't on F-16. Go figure 😉

Edited by Havner
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Problem still present after the 2.9 hotfix 2.9.0.47168 Open Beta! Very disappointing....

In my end the workaround works with all the planes, including the F-16.

On some planes, especially the A-10 II, no matter what mission, the view goes AUTOMATICALLY*

to the default cockpit zoom / view. No need for pushing buttons or ctrl + num0 2x workarounds,

*AS BY THE WAY IT SHOULD BE... This proves that something like this is "possible"... 

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Yeah, still problems. Somehow the game doesn't read the values from the snapview.lua correctly. Or in my case, it seems that it adds a fix value to the FOV from the snapview.lua.

I'd love to have that fixed, too. 

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Hello good!

The truth is that this bug is quite strange. I have had it since the previous update to 2.9 but since this one, it has been solved in all modules. Before it didn't work in any of them.

I came to think that it could be due to a W11 update, but as I say, since 2.9 it has been solved.

16 minutes ago, Raiden said:

since 2.9 it has been solved.

I still have the bug on the F-15E, but on the Viggen it works fine. Really a strange bug.

16 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I still have the bug on the F-15E, but on the Viggen it works fine. Really a strange bug.

I haven't checked for all my modules, but for those that I use regulary currently, the in-game FOV is always ~20 greater than what I set in the snapview.lua (which I manipulate manually most of the time).

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, Raiden said:

Hello good!

The truth is that this bug is quite strange. I have had it since the previous update to 2.9 but since this one, it has been solved in all modules. Before it didn't work in any of them.

I came to think that it could be due to a W11 update, but as I say, since 2.9 it has been solved.

Not here.... Problem still very much present after the 2.9 hotfix 2.9.0.47168 Open Beta. Windows 10.

Memory: 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000
Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB
Monitor ASUS - Oled PG42UQ 41.5" @ 4K
Windows 10 - 64

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• 3 weeks later...

@BIGNEWYAny chance you could check that this reported bug has not been forgotten? Or perhaps report on its current status?

Thankfully there is a work around, but it is a nuisance for many players and seems like it should not be a big deal to fix.

(I'm referring to the 'Zoom Normal' not have expected effect until one of the work around views is instigated first. There may be other separate issues.)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DimSim said:

@BIGNEWYAny chance you could check that this reported bug has not been forgotten? Or perhaps report on its current status?

Thankfully there is a work around, but it is a nuisance for many players and seems like it should not be a big deal to fix.

(I'm referring to the 'Zoom Normal' not have expected effect until one of the work around views is instigated first. There may be other separate issues.)

To add to this, I cannot reset my default view angles unless I'm in an aircraft that has multiple seats--I can do it only by swapping from one seat to another and then back to the original seat.

23 minutes ago, FMBluecher said:

To add to this, I cannot reset my default view angles unless I'm in an aircraft that has multiple seats--I can do it only by swapping from one seat to another and then back to the original seat.

I do it on a single-seater like the Viggen: Press Right Ctrl + Num 0, twice, and then NumPad Enter to get Zoom to normal.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

I do it on a single-seater like the Viggen: Press Right Ctrl + Num 0, twice, and then NumPad Enter to get Zoom to normal.

Thanks--and sorry, I didn't write what I meant very clearly! Yes, I've been using that workaround, and that does reset the view to normal zoom. The issue is that I can't change what my default view is even after using that workaround (normally bound to RAlt+Num0). That's the thing that only works when I switch to a different seat and back again (if there's one available to switch to).

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 11:25 AM, FMBluecher said:

Thanks--and sorry, I didn't write what I meant very clearly! Yes, I've been using that workaround, and that does reset the view to normal zoom. The issue is that I can't change what my default view is even after using that workaround (normally bound to RAlt+Num0). That's the thing that only works when I switch to a different seat and back again (if there's one available to switch to).

As of now, both issues are fixed, at least for me! Thanks!