SnapViews - View angle reset

_SteelFalcon_

With latest OB patch, the viewAngle seems to reset everytime the game is restarted.

RAlt+num0 to save the position works temporarily, but the saved view angle is gone upon restarting the game. head position isnt affected, only view angle for the default view.

tested with F-16, F-15E and F/A-18
tested with disabling all mods, still happens

SnapViews.lua has the saved values however the game doesnt center on the viewAngle when centering view

[13] = {--default view
        viewAngle        = 109.316222,--FOV
        hAngle            = 0.000000,
        vAngle            = -11.868116,
        x_trans            = 0.078730,
        y_trans            = 0.088201,
        z_trans            = 0.000000,
        rollAngle        = 0.000000,
        cockpit_version    = 0,

Edited by _SteelFalcon_
  • Like 7

• _SteelFalcon_ changed the title to SnapViews - View angle reset

Can confirm that saved FOV values have been lost and will also not save properly in current 2.8.8.43489 OB
Tested with F-16 and F/A-18

Steps to reproduce:
- Start a mission (e.g. Instant Mission Ready on Ramp)
- Set camera/FOV up
- Save cockpit angle
- Leave mission and fly again
- Saved cockpit angle/FOV has been reset

Edited by boerdi

This bug happens on the F-15E too 😞 

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Can confirm that this happens both in the Apache as well as in the Huey.

Kind regards

Edited by DaveTC
  • Like 1

Dave
PC: ALTERNATE Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro i9-12900KF 3.2 (4.8 turbo) Ghz, 32GB DD5 RAM@5600Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB, 1 TB M2 PCIe SSD, 4 TB SATA HDD 5400rpm, 4 TB Seagate FireCuda M2 PCIe SSD, Windows 11 (v 21H2). 
Laptop: MSI GT62VR 7RE Dominator Pro i7-7700HQ 2.8 (3.54 turbo) Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM@1200Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Windows 10 Home (v 21H1).

Very annoying bug... I hope this gets hot-fixed asap...
I found the following workaround:

Press 'Right Ctrl + NUM 0' twice

After that the saved FOV is restored and everything works as before the update - this must be done at the beginning of every flight!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

ControllerBuddy - A highly advanced game controller mapping software (for flight simulators)

11 hours ago, bwRavencl said:

Very annoying bug... I hope this gets hot-fixed asap...

After that the saved FOV is restored and everything works as before the update - this must be done at the beginning of every flight!

Big thank you for this work around! Can confirm that this works!

As suggested just press RCTRL + Num0 twice and then press NumEnter and your saved view is loaded and restored. This indicates that the cockpit angles (& FOV) are being saved, but not loaded at the beginning of the flight.

Thanks once again!

Kind regards

Edited by DaveTC
  • Like 1

Dave
PC: ALTERNATE Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro i9-12900KF 3.2 (4.8 turbo) Ghz, 32GB DD5 RAM@5600Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB, 1 TB M2 PCIe SSD, 4 TB SATA HDD 5400rpm, 4 TB Seagate FireCuda M2 PCIe SSD, Windows 11 (v 21H2). 
Laptop: MSI GT62VR 7RE Dominator Pro i7-7700HQ 2.8 (3.54 turbo) Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM@1200Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Windows 10 Home (v 21H1).

6 hours ago, PeevishMonkey said:

It looks like DCS just adds 18.8 degrees to user's FOV

What is a magic value - 18.8...

🤔

I checked if it could be that simple.
I changed FOV value to 41.2 deg, so if DCS always adds 18.8 it would go back to 60.0.
The result was 56.3 deg - which means that this time DCS added 15.1 deg.
Whatever it is, it doesn't add constant value.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bwRavencl said:

Can also confirm that this workaround works. Thank you!

And for those who overwrote the original bindings (like me): The function is called "Cockpit panel view toggle" 😘
And NumEnter is "Zoom Normal"

Edited by boerdi
  • Like 1

I couldnt find the F-14 forum so Im putting this here! What Brilliant Harvard Graduate decided to make this idiotic change???? Now every time I go back in the cockpit, I have to re-arrange the Zoom view! Please put it back the way it was and fire the joker that made this stupid change in the most recent update!!!!!!

Edited by JOEM423

On 8/16/2023 at 12:59 PM, Quetzalkoatl said:

Can confirm the issue.
I have custom FOV set to 60 deg. for all aircraft but after today's patch DCS sets it to 78.8 deg.

Have to admit that it's quite annoying 😅

Bump, Extremely Annoying!!!!!!!

I can confirm I am experiencing the same bug, could not find a work around to ensure on mission load my FOV is loaded from my user view config files, this is super annoying :<

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

22 hours ago, bwRavencl said:

Thanks a lot, great tip 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Wow, what a mess!

When we're getting this fixed, could we also make it so planes spawn already at their default view angle instead of the (seemingly random across different aircraft) value that's hard-coded into the aircraft module?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Found a partial work-around but it only works in aircraft with multiple crew positions. Once you switch to a crew position other than pilot the "Zoom normal" keybind will work again, then when you switch back to the pilot position "Zoom normal" will work there as well. Of course this doesn't help most aircraft as they only have the one pilot seat.

Verified the SnapViews.lua file is still intact and untouched since the last change you saved to it. It's just not reading it from the keybind (which, as I requested above, you really shouldn't have to press every time you spawn into a plane, it should just assume you want the default zoom).

I'm also no longer sure the hard-coded zoom level is different in different aircraft. The FoV at spawn seems to be 100.1 degrees in every plane I've tried so far. (Is this in a lua file somewhere? Really I wouldn't mess with the SnapViews at all if I could just set one common zoom level to use for all aircraft.)

Edited by SMH
  • Like 2

• ED Team

Gentlemen, let's compare our ways to save-restore user Snap Views:

1. Launch any mission (for example QS FA-18 Caucasus Free Flight)

2. Press and release combo {LWin + NumX}  (for example {LWin + Num8} - this combo WILL BE LATER linked with desired view (see Step 4)

3. Move and/or zoom cockpit camera to the desired view (for example - upper mirror)

4. Press and release combo {RAlt + Num0} - this action will save desired view under combo selected on step 2

Now you  can check assigned combo and view by pressing {LWin + Num8}

Restart DCS and launch any mission with FA-18 - your saved view (upper mirror zoomed) works

• Like 1

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы