Tested for hours and hours. 
I have had the absolute best results running with:
  • DLAA
  • 72Hz (no reprojection!)
  • 3500x3500 resolution in Steam VR 
  • Quad FOV rendering (latest version)
  • Balanced settings in DCS to get stable 72 fps
Rig details in signature…

What do quad fov rendering? I don t know It. I do not have Eye tracking on quest' 3

Inviato dal mio CPH2219 utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

Unfortunately, as already expected, for me it looks like DLSS is no good. I think you can only use it to make already high FPS even higher, but since I'm starting with low FPS the overall experience only decreases with DLSS enabled.

On my RTX 2070/i9 10850k/64gb RAM and Reverb G2 at 100% resolution, I get about 30-40 FPS. Enabling DLSS quality + DLAA (which is forced on for me) gives the same FPS with less shimmering, but reduced clarity and some ghosting. Less quality in general. Any DLSS performance mode only decreases clarity further and massively increases ghosting, up to the point where MFD's are not readable anymore.

Time to upgrade the GPU I guess...

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Lorenzo.D said:

What do quad fov rendering? I don t know It. I do not have Eye tracking on quest' 3

I don’t have eye tracking either on my Pico 4. Still works grest and gives improved performance/fps.

image.png

image.png
In each chart, the top bar corresponds to the use of quad views with foveated rendering, while the bottom graph corresponds to stereo views without foveated rendering.

—————

Super quick and easy to setup for my headset.

More info:

https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki/What-is-Quad-Views-rendering%3F

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 1

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

16 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

I don’t have eye tracking either on my Pico 4. Still works grest and gives improved performance/fps.

image.png

image.png
In each chart, the top bar corresponds to the use of quad views with foveated rendering, while the bottom graph corresponds to stereo views without foveated rendering.

—————

More info:

https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki/What-is-Quad-Views-rendering%3F

I am getting a similar improvement using QVFR.

36 minutes ago, Koekemoeroetoe said:

Unfortunately, as already expected, for me it looks like DLSS is no good. I think you can only use it to make already high FPS even higher, but since I'm starting with low FPS the overall experience only decreases with DLSS enabled.

On my RTX 2070/i9 10850k/64gb RAM and Reverb G2 at 100% resolution, I get about 30-40 FPS. Enabling DLSS quality + DLAA (which is forced on for me) gives the same FPS with less shimmering, but reduced clarity and some ghosting. Less quality in general. Any DLSS performance mode only decreases clarity further and massively increases ghosting, up to the point where MFD's are not readable anymore.

Time to upgrade the GPU I guess...

Have you tried QVFR? I have used this to push the centre resolution to 1.5 and it gives me a clearer image with DLSS and less ghosting. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

I'm seeing a ghosting/rippling effect when on take off roll around hornet canopy when using TAA. Really odd, shame as TAA looks better to me than DLAA (taxiway lines etc).

• Like 1

14900KS | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

15 minutes ago, zildac said:

I'm seeing a ghosting/rippling effect when on take off roll around hornet canopy when using TAA. Really odd, shame as TAA looks better to me than DLAA (taxiway lines etc).

Same experience here.

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

image.thumb.png.2e4b64f035615cc39ab3eed09713fdae.png
image.thumb.png.95da1a85db17845fe2c80846edbb1dde.png

—————

More info:

But the pancake lenses are good for see all the area of the lenses...so with It you have less clarity on the Edge likes you don t have a pancake ....

28 minutes ago, Lorenzo.D said:

But the pancake lenses are good for see all the area of the lenses...so with It you have less clarity on the Edge likes you don t have a pancake ....

No issue whatsoever. Quadview FOV is so great that I had to doublecheck to see if it was activated or not first time I used it.

OXRTK FOV rendering  is much more visible.

• Like 1

I don t understand Is Better taa or dlaa?

For me TAA offers the best visual quality. Especially when looking at taxi way lines and the like.

14900KS | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

DLAA + DFR (i.e. mbucchia quad views foveated) is working wonders for me on Quest Pro.  DLAA appears to completely elimate shimmering in the peripheral area meaning the focus region can be substantially reduced for huge performance improvements and a much better overall experience.  This is DFR working as I always imagined.

23 minutes ago, zildac said:

For me TAA offers the best visual quality. Especially when looking at taxi way lines and the like.

Whilst TAA greatly reduces shimmering,  I find it just makes everything blurry, and can produce dreadful ghosting (e.g. in F-18 try quickly looking left and right past canopy frame).  DLAA much better but much greater perf hit, same as MSAAx4.  But see above if you're using DFR.

Having said that, I am running a pretty high-end system.  For something more mid-range TAA could be a godsend, it greatly improves the terrain by eliminating shimmering at almost no perf cost, and I think that the terrain blurring looks ok.  However, I don't like blurring of the cockpit.  Swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Hippo
  • Like 1

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

11 hours ago, twistking said:

Those that have bad ghosting with DLSS, try to run without ASW/Reprojection, even if that means you have to set a more aggressive DLSS setting. DLSS will never look good with ASW/Reprojection, because it has less temporal information to work with, while at the same time the resulting artifacts (smearing/ghosting) will stay visible longer.

If you run a quest, try upping from 72 to 90 hz. DLSS will look cleaner and higher resolution with higher refresh rates, as it gets more temporal information to work with.

Do not run DLSS with low framerates. More fps make better visuals.

With a risk of sounding like Alec Guiness in Star Wars, "These are not the ghosts you are thinking of". The ghosting (double images) of fast-moving objects with reprojection/ASW is not the same as the effects people are referring to with DLSS/DLAA. I prefer to call this "smearing". It's akin to a firey phoenix with flames or smoke trailing off the edges of wings and fuselage. It occurs with our without reprojection/ASW and at all refresh rates and render resolutions.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, zildac said:

Sent from my CPH2219 using Tapatalk

I agree zildac.  TAA on my system looks the best.  I also turn sharpening up to 1 in DCS settings, and sharpening on OpenXR Toolkit to 100.

i7 12700K,   RTX 4090,  MSI Z690 Carbon WiFi,  32GB x 2  DDR5 5200Mhz Ram,   Windows 11,    DCS Stand alone,   OpenXR Toolkit,   Pimax Crystal,   Thrustmaster Viper Stick with RealSimulator  FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra Base,    Winwing Orion 2 10th Anniversary with F-16EX Throttle Grip,    Virpil ACE Interceptor Pedals

Interesting to hear such differing views. DLAA is excellent, but I still see the shimmers on taxi way markings. And as a few people have mentioned, TAA does cause some pretty bad ghosting when moving fast. I can't say I noticed any blurring as a result of TAA though. I think I need to do some more testing!  Specs in sig.

52 minutes ago, slughead said:

With a risk of sounding like Alec Guiness in Star Wars, "These are not the ghosts you are thinking of". The ghosting (double images) of fast-moving objects with reprojection/ASW is not the same as the effects people are referring to with DLSS/DLAA. I prefer to call this "smearing". It's akin to a firey phoenix with flames or smoke trailing off the edges of wings and fuselage. It occurs with our without reprojection/ASW and at all refresh rates and render resolutions.

Agreed, accurate description of the phenomenon 👍

48 minutes ago, Lorenzo.D said:

Has anyone experienced continuous shaking when switching to the new DCS 2.9? It feels like my head is shaking but it's not

Quest3 virtual desktop steamvr openxr

I've had no issues like that.  But then I'm running a Quest Pro, the stanalone version of DCS (i.e. not Steam), and am using a link cable with the Oculus software (i.e. not VD).

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

DLAA has changed everything for me. Now I can use mbucchia quad views foveated because the peripheral view doesn't shimmer with DLAA.

I have been able to reduce the resolution in the oculus app from x1.5 to x1.2 and add terrain shadows and grass.

Really happy with 2.9. Good job ED and thank you mbucchia for your work.

Edited by Chapa
  • Like 1

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

2 minutes ago, Chapa said:

DLAA has changed everything for me. Now I can use mbucchia quad views foveated because the peripheral views doesn't shimmer with DLAA.

I have been able to reduce the resolution in the oculus app from x1.5 to x1.2 and add terrain shadows and grass.

Really happy with 2.9. Good job ED and thank you mbucchia for your work

Agreed.  After further testing, I feel this is truly a game changer.  By setting the focus region at 0.25 I am getting AA at a quality very similar to MSAAx4 for free.  Yet it is almost impossible for me to tell that DFR is doing its thing (I can see the "square" if I look for it and depending on what I'm looking at, but it's something I can easily live with).  I'm possibly seeing some texture DLAA shimmering in the focus region that wasn't there with MSAA (further testing required to confirm). but again, minor enough that I can easily live with it.

P.S. Night vision goggles now work properly, and it is possible to see the cockpit "outside" of them.  Xmas has come early.  Thanks to all concerned.

16 hours ago, twistking said:

Those that have bad ghosting with DLSS, try to run without ASW/Reprojection, even if that means you have to set a more aggressive DLSS setting. DLSS will never look good with ASW/Reprojection, because it has less temporal information to work with, while at the same time the resulting artifacts (smearing/ghosting) will stay visible longer.

If you run a quest, try upping from 72 to 90 hz. DLSS will look cleaner and higher resolution with higher refresh rates, as it gets more temporal information to work with.

Do not run DLSS with low framerates. More fps make better visuals.

4 hours ago, slughead said:

Missing my point you do, young padawan!

DLSS creates a high resolution image (and is technically able to create perceived higher res than native in scenes with predictable or constantly slow movment). This is done by subpixel jittering an temporal accumulation of information, so the image gets refined "over time" - or more precisely over a sequence of sequential frames. Therefore in the same scene with moderate movment, double fps should mean more clarity, because a good estiamtion can be made in half the time. Additionally on higher fps, changes in the scenes are more gradual, so the guessing is easy and the algorythm should have an easier time "understanding" motion of the scene. Motion vectors only help little, when you have massive difference between two frames, because of fast relative motion. Also whenever the algorythm does a happy accident (which happens everywhere, all the time... to some degree) the resulting artifacts should be smaller when relative motion is slower, or when the difference between sequential images is lower, which is the case - again - on higher fps.

Now imagine what happen if you have low FPS - so more guesswork for DLSS and potentially more visible artifacts to begin with - and now introduce another algorythm that seperately from DLSS interpolates between sequential frames to create a synthetic frame from two sequential frames that are already potentially impaired by motion vector guesswork. It's an unholy alliance of two "AI" systems playing a game of telephone.

This is all a purely theoretical take on DLSS. I can't try it for myself unfortunately. I'm also not implying that your observations and personal experiences are wrong. Maybe the effects i describe are not that relevant in practice, but they must be technically true. Maybe keep an open eye for those aspects and keep an open mind when doing testing and tweaking. FPS must have an effect on the quality of DLSS (maybe not a relevant one though). I still think it's worth keeping in mind.

I also strongly suspect that users reporting very bad image quality with DLSS do not actually stumbled on the limitations of DLSS, but encountered implementation bugs, run bad settings or similar. Also some issues reported would clearly be solved by doubling FPS: For example the mechanical digits in analogie gauges being blurry when changing the displayed numbers. On 45fps there is simply not enough temporal resolution to resolve that motion - or for the "AI" to "udnerstand" it.

Again. I'm not saying that DLSS is good and your observations are bad. But completely denying the effects of FPS is not helpful for troubleshooting and understanding artifacting - even if the actual differences between low and high FPS are mabye indeed smaller than i would expect from a purely theoretical standpoint. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Edited by twistking

10 minutes ago, twistking said:

This is all a purely theoretical take on DLSS. I can't try it for myself unfortunately

Thanks for your insights. However, I have actually tested this. The results are the same in 72fps or 90 with or without ASW.

11 minutes ago, twistking said:

I also strongly suspect that users reporting very bad image quality with DLSS do not actually stumbled on the limitations of DLSS, but encountered implementation bugs, run bad settings or similar

This is because people have jumped into the cockpit with the same Oculus / supersampling settings for their headset as they had before 2.9. Once they realise they need to increase their render resolution to get the clarity back, they'll stop moaning as I did. Those that are saying it's great are probably already running at a high enough render resolution.

May the force be with you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, slughead said:

Thanks for your insights. However, I have actually tested this. The results are the same in 72fps or 90 with or without ASW.

This is because people have jumped into the cockpit with the same Oculus / supersampling settings for their headset as they had before 2.9. Once they realise they need to increase their render resolution to get the clarity back, they'll stop moaning as I did. Those that are saying it's great are probably already running at a high enough render resolution.

I would agree with this. I have used QVFR to increase the centre resolution by 1.8 and this produces good results with no smearing. It produces better FPS than native resolution settings and DLAA. 

Edit: after more testing, I am noticing blurring behind fast moving planes etc. but only when they are small. This appears in both DLSS and DLAA.

Edited by Qcumber

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

1 hour ago, slughead said:

I see. If you say that 72fps with ASW (so basically DLSS working with 36fps) does not make artifacting notably worse than true 90, then this means that my point holds no value in practice. That mean that those artifacts come from lack of spatial information instead of temporal. Not very intuitive, but i have no reason to doubt you.

I'm still quite confident that low FPS will introduce additional artifacting on image details that change details faster than can temporally be resolved on lower FPS, meaning no effective motion vector can be build from it. F.e. mechnical rotary counters changing digits... In these situations it seems logical that DLSS could even make details worse compared to the (low) base resolution without upscaling.

39 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

I would agree with this. I have used QVFR to increase the centre resolution by 1.8 and this produces good results with no smearing. It produces better FPS than native resolution settings and DLAA. 

I would be interested in seeing how DLAA and DLSS compare visually, if you set your high pixel density for use with DLSS and compare to DLAA not with native res, but with a resolution that gives similar fps to the DLSS setup. Or in other words: DLSS with high pixel vs DLAA with pixel density slightly higher than native to matching fps.

Edited by twistking