Feedback Thread F-14 Tomcat Patch November 2023

IronMike

9 minutes ago, KoN said:

So I can't jump back into front seat from Rio seat . ???

Even though I can jump into rio seat from pilot seat . But can't jump back into pilot seat . Using HOTAS key bind . ???

I'll have to test in single player . 

No, you can jump back and forth at will.  He's saying that WHILE you are in the back seat, don't expect your front seat binds to work, and vice versa.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 11:57 AM, hreich said:

Ok...i am having few issues...Nevada quick takeof flight is unplayable for me - FPS in low digits...Although i have rtx 3060, amd ryzen 3600, 32 gb ram...Also, when trying to takeoff my f-14 rolls to the side and performs 180 turn...No problem like that when flying F-18...I ll post link to video showing problems of F-14 doing u-turn on takeoff...

Ok first problem with fps is fixed after pc restart....

https://clipchamp.com/watch/SBMrBbhgObB

Having the EXACT same issue

3 hours ago, TMP95 said:

Having the EXACT same issue

And solution is exactly the same - turn off parking brake before rolling.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

13 hours ago, NeedzWD40 said:

You overlofted. This has happened to me a couple times recently as well, sending my missile to the moon. I brought the nose down for closer targets and the missile gets in the basket every time. This is where I'm usually missing, as the AI's magic awareness means they turn cold and dive as soon as the missile is a set distance away. I've been using AIM-54C Mk47 almost exclusively as well, since the mission has been sniping high value assets from far out, where occasionally I've had to leverage a missile or two on a fighter. Shots have ranged from 90nmi to 20nmi, with a hit rate of around 70%.

I did another yesterday.. same situation.. SU-33 heading straight 30nm.. i fire level at him.. then he fires a R-27ER.. then mid course i turn arround to defeat his missile.. the AIM-54C just went to 120K f complety missing the flanker...  it didnt had my updates since i turned away but it should at least dived to the calculated intercept position to engage its radar.. it just went into low orbit...

8 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

If you’re turning away before pit bull then you are trashing the missile. 

Crank to reduce your closure whilst maintaining the track file and only go cold when your Phoenix has gone active.

Not necesarily.. thats not how fox3 missiles work..

They are labeled as fire and forget.. of course thats far from it.. they work when fired at a target they calculate a point to intercept where they expect to find the target when the seeker goes pitbull..  the problem is that against manevoering targets if you dont keep the target in TWS or STT and send updates.. if the target maneovers the missile probably wont find it when goes pitbull.. but it still will perform the intercept atempt based on last updates it got from launching platform..

That phoenix should had dived to meet the target where it expected it to be when i turned away.. of course if the Flanker maneovers the missile will probably miss.. but this missile didnt did that..it just keept climbing into low orbit

the missile didnt did that before .. i have seen lots of phoenix shots and we can debate about the acuracy of the seeker or performance but until last update they did what they were suposed to do and tried at least to intercept last known position or expected position of the target..   now they are just climbing into never ever

26 minutes ago, SparrowLT said:

now they are just climbing into never ever

Only if they lose the target and the sensor won't find them again by itself. You're mad because the AI is too good at notching and evading your missiles yet you do the same with their missiles and that's all fine.

Fly high, fast and shoot farther - don't try to use them as AMRAAMs.

Phoenix never was fire and forget - where did you read that? It can be fired as such but it's not reliable or recommended - rare case.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

10 hours ago, SparrowLT said:

Not necesarily.. thats not how fox3 missiles work..

Within DCS, for the AIM-54As it is, for the AIM-54Cs it kinda sorta is and isn't. I set for a large target size for active at ~26 TTI, then hold as long as possible whether I'm STT or TWS. For the AIM-54C there's a kind of gray area where if you break lock before it starts diving, it won't ever dive down on the target. I've seen that a couple times when I've had to break and go evasive with a missile still in the loft.

Is it accurate behavior? Don't know. The AIM-120s behave similarly where if you shoot and break lock before it dives/goes pitbull, they'll fly off to oblivion.

• Like 1

When is the next patch coming for the F14 . Seems they are some bugs still . I've been fly this for nearly a week now . And definitely got bugs . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 2 weeks later...

Don't fly it very often cause i have problems with it. Today i was doing a merge and when i started to pull the stick back to turn it feels like the nose is attached to a rubber band and it wont turn properly and as i keep pulling more it feels like the rubber band breaks and the aircraft suddenly flips and break the wings of.

2 hours ago, Razor68 said:

Don't fly it very often cause i have problems with it. Today i was doing a merge and when i started to pull the stick back to turn it feels like the nose is attached to a rubber band and it wont turn properly and as i keep pulling more it feels like the rubber band breaks and the aircraft suddenly flips and break the wings of.

You're hamfisting it. Be gentle with the stick. Watch AoA indicator, air speed and G meter if you can't tell by the sounds and shaking. Don't go over 17 AoA units if you don't want to deliberately lose speed and point the nose quickly but only for a short time - and yes, the nose will come back like on a rubber - it's correct and expected. And don't go over 7-9G if you don't really have to.

Edited by draconus

2 hours ago, Razor68 said:

And I might add, at high AoA the Tomcat needs rudder input to roll. If you try to aileron roll at high alpha, she starts a life on her own.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

3 year since i bought this module never had problems flying it or any of the other 22 modules i own. Now it is pretty much a turd, no wonder nobody flys it on mp servers anymore. 

31 minutes ago, Razor68 said:

3 year since i bought this module never had problems flying it or any of the other 22 modules i own. Now it is pretty much a turd, no wonder nobody flys it on mp servers anymore. 

ok, but what's your point? you don't like the way it feels? 

no one is forcing you to fly it 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Frosty2124 said:

ok, but what's your point? you don't like the way it feels? 

no one is forcing you to fly it 🙂

0I have paid for it and it has been changed so much that it don't follow the rules of physics. I used to make aircraft for X-plane and was on the Laminar team so i know all about flight physics.

7 minutes ago, Razor68 said:

0I have paid for it and it has been changed so much that it don't follow the rules of physics. I used to make aircraft for X-plane and was on the Laminar team so i know all about flight physics.

Nothing relevant has changed here. The Tomcat flies as nicely as she always did. Of course, when you flew things like M2000 or Hornet much lately, it may be pretty rough to re-adjust.
My advice, give it time, adjust your curves if necessary and practice. Eventually it will click in place again.

...unless you just want to flame. 🤨

• Like 5

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Razor68 said:

if you have tangible evidence that the aircraft isn't performing as it should, provide the Devs with the relevant footage and tracks, and the relevant performance data that demonstrates how it should perform, and I'm certain that devs will make the necessary adjustments.

otherwise you want to be wary of flaming, by saying "it don't fly right" and not saying what it isn't flying right in accordance with. you come of as having a weak argument and a bit of a silly goose.

• Like 4

В 26.11.2023 в 22:30, draconus сказал:

Only if they lose the target and the sensor won't find them again by itself. You're mad because the AI is too good at notching and evading your missiles yet you do the same with their missiles and that's all fine.

Fly high, fast and shoot farther - don't try to use them as AMRAAMs.

Phoenix never was fire and forget - where did you read that? It can be fired as such but it's not reliable or recommended - rare case.

Have you watched the track that SparrowLT posted? Battle over the sea. No obstacles. The height is optimal for the F-14B. Timing 01:02:58 - launch of AIM-54, distance 30 nm, altitude 33.561 feet. Timing 01:03:32 - Su-33 turns at a small angle without losing altitude. He does not use countermeasures. Do you think this is an evasive maneuver? Note that the attacking player does not deviate more than 30-40 degrees from the original course. It is impossible to lose the automatic capture unless he did it manually. At this time, AIM-54 continues to gain altitude. Timing 01:03:38 - AIM-54 passes over the target at a speed of 2.69M at an altitude of 61,688 feet. Timing 01:04:25 - AIM-54, having lost speed to 1.85M, continues to gain altitude to 71,606 feet! She had no intention of diving! I respect you very much as a competent member of our community. You have a good understanding of the game mechanics and give a lot of useful advice. Explain to me this wonderful rise of AIM-54 into the infinity of the Universe.

2 hours ago, Sindar said:

Timing 01:03:32 - Su-33 turns at a small angle without losing altitude.

From the little I can read from my Tacview Starter it looks like the tracking was lost earlier so even before the Su-33 maneuvering the Phoenix was gone. There were also some weird Tomcat nose deviations at 1:03:14 and :17 - lags? - that also might have been the cause.

В 16.12.2023 в 15:57, draconus сказал:

From the little I can read from my Tacview Starter it looks like the tracking was lost earlier so even before the Su-33 maneuvering the Phoenix was gone. There were also some weird Tomcat nose deviations at 1:03:14 and :17 - lags? - that also might have been the cause.

Thank you. You confirmed my suspicions. The lock could only be lost by the actions of the pilot. However, this does not explain the behavior of AIM-54. Is it not affected by gravity over 50 nm? It's very good that the player posted the track. I hope the developers will pay attention. Thanks again for your answer.

15 hours ago, Sindar said:

However, this does not explain the behavior of AIM-54. Is it not affected by gravity over 50 nm?

After losing the track the C goes active on its own. It still has all the battery power to direct itself straight ahead. You think it should go ballistic?

21 час назад, draconus сказал:

After losing the track the C goes active on its own. It still has all the battery power to direct itself straight ahead. You think it should go ballistic?

I'm thinking it should be going down. He was already flying more than 30 nm.

On 12/16/2023 at 1:57 PM, draconus said:

I never lost the target from the TWS track.. didnt even got near to gimball limit ..  the C simply went above into the moon itself ..

Funny enough recently i got a double kill against 2 Flankers doing the exact same profile attack with 2 54Cs.. at arround 40-50nm , lofted 20º .. turned arround 20º crank losing alt .. both hit .. i dont recall any update to the Tomcat in between..

In the mission i created to test BVR (1 vs SU-30) the 54C is kinda hit and miss where the 120C and Meteor does much better.. even the R-33 in the MIG-31

3 hours ago, SparrowLT said:

In the mission i created to test BVR (1 vs SU-30) the 54C is kinda hit and miss where the 120C and Meteor does much better.. even the R-33 in the MIG-31

Those missiles cannot be compared, for one, for the other R-33 is an older missile from times before in DCS, (unless I missed ED updating it). 

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

5 hours ago, IronMike said:

R-33 is an older missile from times before in DCS, (unless I missed ED updating it). 

They did fix them in recent years because they were crazy fast afair.