OH-6A by Tobsen and Eightball

Go to solution Solved by Neo47,

14 hours ago, R.Z. said:

I'm on Orion 2 stick and throttle and a very basic Saitek Pro-Flight rudder setup without any DIY moddings. After a few quick adjustments, I found by using just a tad of deadzone, 50% Saturation Y on ROLL axis, 65% Sat. Y on PITCH axis, and 80%  Sat. Y on YAW axis, I was able to achieve reasonably stable 3-foot hover with ease (similar to what I was able to do in UH-1). And as any helo geeks would know, once you've found the "hover button" 🙂, the rest of the flight envelop is easy. Some further fine tuning might be needed but I think this is a good starter reference.

Very good flight modelling indeed. Good transitional lift dynamics, also nice responsive yet relatively stable control feedback in all 3 axes in normal cruise flight. Although I've obviously not flown a real OH-6/MD-500 IRL but the flight model matches what I expect from this bird. Again, great job from the devs. Much appreciated for the effort!

Thanks for sharing your saturation settings, bro. That was the key for me. Really enjoying buzzing around now.

• Like 1

It took a minute working with many of the settings some have shared here but once you figure out how to fly it this mod is amazing fun. Got a solid hover on lift now and was even able to put it down cleanly on a moving destroyer.  Great work and thanks to the developers for this amazing addition.

• Like 4

Oh, and did we mention already, that it looks absolutely gorgeous? 😊 Especially the outside model! On the inside it still looks very good but is let down a tad by the low poly count here and there (doors).

• Like 3

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

55 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Oh, and did we mention already, that it looks absolutely gorgeous? 😊 Especially the outside model! On the inside it still looks very good but is let down a tad by the low poly count here and there (doors).

Not knocking the AH-6, but compared to that, the OH-6 cockpit is a polished work of art.

I like the visibility in turns. Something really immersive about looking over your shoulder through the roof, and tracking objects while you are circling around. Makes me wish I could try it in VR.

• Like 1

I didn't mean to hit on the OH-6. It's just that things like that are particular eye-catching when the rest of the module is so polished.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

I didn't mean to hit on the OH-6. It's just that things like that are particular eye-catching when the rest of the module is so polished.

Fly without doors. Problem solved! 😆

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jarhead0331 said:

Fly without doors. Problem solved! 😆

Ride of thy Valkyries playing in my head right now..... 🫡😎😅

• Like 3

Loach Oggs.rar

Way ahead of ya Hiob 😁. I made these Oggs for it the other day to test the radio. Just a couple of tunes that seemed fitting 🙂.

Well done @tobi & @Eight Ball for the quick update. I have the throttle bindings show up but it isn't working in the heli, no animation of it either but to throttle up I still have to use the page up and down. I can't bind the views. Some are available to bind but only to the mouse for me.

I use TrackIR to look around but on most aircraft I try to have my 'fundamental views' on my Warthog throttles 4 way thumb switch.

I have F1 Cockpit view, F10 jump to theatre map, F2 Aircraft view, and F3 flyby view. I can't bind them at the minute but that may be something I didn't do properly when updating?

Haven't managed to have a proper look yet since the tinkering.

Also, I tried giving you both a few quid for your efforts twice but can't get your thing to accept my payment. I don't use paypal but I pay for all my DCS bits with the same card, Kola took my money ok. Love the fact that you've done all this for everyone and don't demand anything so I wanna give you both a few well deserved beer tokens for it, it's a blast. I'll have another look but if you can have a look at anything that end, please do.

Oh I almost forgot. I looked around the other day for the PBR. Not sure if it was part of the pack that we can use or is it only as a part of the float barge?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Killg0re NL said:

Thats the Huey

0:24

say again? 😁

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

Turns out I hadn't installed the update properly. Looking good so far, binding switches etc. 🙂

Yep, throttle working, bindings good for all sorts. Happy bunny over here, I’ll have to look up how to have it fly as a UK ‘loach-loan’. Anyone thinking of RN or RAF liveries? Fictional I’d have thought?

Edited by Slippa
Throttle fine
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the update being able to bind all the switches now has made this VR heaven, its been a massive hit on our TTi test server, so much were moving it to one of our official mods we use.

The only question I have left has anyone got the AI door gunner to work in a MP server, we can not get them to work at all, I have watched a few videos and they seem to work offline fine.

Edited by Hotdognz
  • Like 1

Not quite in the middle, but it's getting better....

Screen_240506_231638.jpg

• Like 3

Did a multiplayer test Sunday with the boys to test marking with smoke and a combined attack with the OV-10 mod.  The OH-6 is still having problems with comms and SRS so we had to use skype.  Did a video on it about an hour ago and will post it here soon.  Had a blast flying this with the boys.  I cannot brag enough about flying with a good group of people online with DCS.  Flying down low and marking targets while you have support overhead getting after it is beyond awesome in VR.  This was just for fun, but we have some future plans to put together a multitude of mission variants with the OH-6 in conjunction with a few other mods and official modules.  More to come.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Hiob said:

No worries, you are absolutely right. If anything I'm surprised more people haven't pointed it out.

A cockpit overhaul (doors, pedals, frame, seats, etc) is planned for later (not soon).

In the meantime, just like @Jarhead0331 said, leave those ugly front doors at the FARP 😉

14 hours ago, Slippa said:

Have yourselves a few beers 🙂.

Thanks a lot Slippa 🍻😀

Regarding the PBRs, they're only available as part of the Sea Float barge. TeTeT's Vietnam War Vessels pack should have one if I'm not mistaken.

On 5/6/2024 at 1:43 AM, impreza said:

Are there video tutorials? Its an impossible helo.

What kind of tutorials are you looking for?

If you want we have "flying tips" section on our discord: https://discord.gg/cE4Q8E5CE9

6 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

Had a blast flying this with the boys

This is really cool, looks like a lot of fun! Looking forward to see more 🙂

9 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

The only question I have left has anyone got the AI door gunner to work in a MP server, we can not get them to work at all

I think it's the first time someone is reporting that issue. Was it on a dedi server or local host?

If on a dedi, did you also install the "Scripts" folder on it? [EDIT: that's not necessary]
Any other mods running?

Edited by Eight Ball
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eight Ball said:

I think it's the first time someone is reporting that issue. Was it on a dedi server or local host? If on a dedi, did you also install the "Scripts" folder on it? Any other mods running?

Ah unsure will check and re test

So me and the guys are still having some weird issues with SRS and the OH-6, even after the SRS update.  Did a short video below showing what we are encountering.  My buddy hosted the mission on a dedicated server he pays for. 

We did the first test on FM 30.00 (turned on to PTT), UHF off.  He could hear me in his OH6 and he could also here me depress the mic, but I could not hear him or hear me depress my mic.

The second test was on UHF 251 (turned on to TR), FM turned off.  Same result as above with FM.

The weird thing is, right before we recorded the below test, I could not hear him on UHF, so I turned on FM to PTT and all the sudden I could hear my SRS depress and I could hear him on FM.  Then UHF worked. When I turned off the FM radio to test one at a time, all the sudden, FM did not work anymore but UHF continued to work.  To record the video, we jumped into 2 fresh birds (not the same group) and all the sudden, the above results happened which I go through in the video.

To note, we tried the exact same test on the same server with the UH-1 prior to testing the OH-6 and after and it worked flawlessly on multiple channels on both FM and UHF.  What is weird with the OH6 is UHF will only transmit on 251 and FM on 30.00 for all parties.  

I am open to suggestions if anyone has any.  I was hoping we were clowns, and it was user error, but at this point, we are having trouble replicating the same issue back-to-back.  As of now, we are using skype with the mod until SRS gets ironed out or we get schooled.  Appreciate any feedback. I also took screen shots below of my SRS settings to see if anything looks off to anyone.

image.jpeg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 2

One more post for the night. The gents and I are looking into some possible missions in the future conducting SAR and downed aircraft recovery operations.  Been years since my last Huey sling load in DCS.  I had to give lifting the OH-6A a try.  I did not pick the best area to drop it off, very tight.  Look forward to showing more once we actually start putting missions together in the coming months. Thanks again to the guys who put this mod together.  Having a blast with it.

• Like 5

Looks like a lotta sport, good video Devil.

I can barely get it off the ground now myself 😄. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but as soon as I start to lift, I lose rpms and have to go again. Flew the Huey just to be sure I can still fly a chopper then went back at it. I'm pirouetting on the deck but mostly I'm losing rpms. I know it's my lack of practice as we can clearly see it flying well.

I think I've found a niggle? I had bindings set but had trouble getting the blades to turn on a cold start. I spent a couple of hours changing bindings and going step by step through the startup. I'm sure there's something up with the fuel valve open/close/toggle. If I have it bound it looks to be working. Animation of the button works as you'd expect but when the blades wouldn't start to turn (pressing ins/idle) I was stuck until I clicked to open the fuel valve with the mouse. The animation for it stayed the same as it was (already open) but when I clicked it the blades would start to turn. I did a few tests to make sure it's the fuel valve so maybe that bit could do with looking at? I can make it work, I've found a way around it but it's odd.

Still lovin it 🙂, we won't mention my crash landings though eh 🤪.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 7:41 AM, Eight Ball said:

Yes, they'll all  be released alongside the OH-6. The C-123 might just be a static object in the initial release, though.

I'm not seeing the C-123 in the documentation images or in game.  Is that pushed to a later release to get it flying?

• Like 2

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula