OH-6A by Tobsen and Eightball

Go to solution Solved by Neo47,

1 hour ago, Devil 505 said:

I must admit, the video below was my first flight with her as well as the first time I have used a collective in DCS.  I just got the Virpil AH-64 hooked up and my mind is having time transitioning from forward on the throttle is increase altitude to down on the collective is decrease and up is increase.

I always just reversed that axis to where I had to pull back on the throttle for collective, seemed a bit more intuitive to me...but I just got an apache collective too and its....DIFFERENT.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

Posted (edited)

Thanks this is a very nicely detailed mod, wow its twitchy, but fun when up.

So far cant seem to change weapon load outs on a hot start, can they only be changed when cold ?? (Found it cold only)

Quite a few key binds cant be bound to any joysticks or button boxes, Y & H, any F view keys so far.

Other keys not mappable and makes starting VR harder

Page up & Page Down (Throttle)

Also a very strange one Throttle axis doesnt do anything even though you can map it

Insert (Throttle Idle)

Edited by Hotdognz
  • Like 2

I captured some video on what is happening with the controls that I cannot overcome.  You will see in the controls indicator that the pitch and pedals move smoothly. The roll however does not respond. It moves a little and stops then jumps to catch up. In the video where you see the roll indicator just move slightly I actually have the stick fully left or right and it doesn't match or it will jump suddenly to match my input. It also doesn't return fully to center when i release stick.

This is not happening in any other aircraft for me so it is not hardware. Very frustrating because I have seen people flying it now on posts and videos and it looks like a blast and if I say so myself I am not a total scrub flying the helos. Clearly something is wrong on my installation at least.

I have many mods but again no other aircraft is displaying this behavior with the controls.  Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Spent a bit of time on controls

These may help for starters, bear in mind I have virpil collective and warthog joystick with 200mm extension and MFG rudders

Collective DZ -0 Sat X -100 SatY -100 Curve 0 "Inverted" this is usually a virpil requirement but try it

Pitch DZ-0 Sat X - 100 Sat Y- 85 Curve minus 20

Roll DZ-0 Sat X-80 Sat Y-50 Curve 0

Rudders (MFG) DZ-0 SatX-100 Sat Y-90 Curve minus 15 "Slider"

Still tweaking but maybe a starting point for someone

• Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

12 minutes ago, cochise said:

@KeyserSoze62 Can you change your roll to an X axis?

Wow.  I certainly didn't notice that. I've never had that happen before when setting controls. No idea why it didn't set as an X to begin with but you have saved the day.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marshallman said:

Spent a bit of time on controls

These may help for starters, bear in mind I have virpil collective and warthog joystick with 200mm extension and MFG rudders

Collective DZ -0 Sat X -100 SatY -100 Curve 0 "Inverted" this is usually a virpil requirement but try it

Pitch DZ-0 Sat X - 100 Sat Y- 85 Curve minus 20

Roll DZ-0 Sat X-80 Sat Y-50 Curve 0

Rudders (MFG) DZ-0 SatX-100 Sat Y-90 Curve minus 15 "Slider"

Still tweaking but maybe a starting point for someone

Hi Marshall...Did you have any trouble assigning functions (view buttons, etc.) to your virpil throttle?

edit: From what I can tell now, it is only functions that are default Function keys (cockpit view F1, etc.) that are non-assignable...

Edited by Scarecrow84

1 hour ago, Scarecrow84 said:

Hi Marshall...Did you have any trouble assigning functions (view buttons, etc.) to your virpil throttle?

edit: From what I can tell now, it is only functions that are default Function keys (cockpit view F1, etc.) that are non-assignable...

I have trackIR and VR I dont set any views on the throttle. HAvent tried mapping the view, sorry.

• Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

It looks amazing, the asset pack is a great addition to the sim, too 🙂 Thaks a lot to everyone involved. Still trying to get the hang of flying the OH-6. Can't find a trim button in the settings, is there one?

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

I could only download it using an iPad for some reason? Same router etc as my PC which wasn’t playing ball for a few hours of it. Weird but it worked. I transferred it, got it installed and plonked a few bits in the ME.

Trying to set bindings I couldn’t do anything with the view either. I don’t know that any of us can? Maybe in an update later? I usually have a few different views and the map bound to a thumb switch on the WH throttle. Would like to be able to do that too. Think I bound lights and searchlight as well as the searchlight direction and not many other bits. I did notice, like a few other modules, some weird bindings are set from the start so I went through clearing what I could see. That nipple button on the throttle is set to mess with either the rudder or something dodgy so might catch someone out.

i couldn’t take off in it. I rolled it onto it’s side a few times trying so went for an airstart just to try the handling. Man, that was funny. Maybe it was going too fast or something but it was far from pretty. I’ve a lot of setting up to do I think so I’ll try some of the curves posted earlier (cheers).

I love it though. Just having it sitting there going through the skins was a buzz. It looks great. Can’t wait to get it flying properly.

15 minutes ago, Tomcatter87 said:

trim button in the settings, is there one?

Think I bound that too, I may be wrong?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, truebrit said:

Now we need a hero to give us a palm tree mod for Caucasus.

I use this one👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GE Wings2.jpg           AMD Ryzen 5, 16 GB DDR4, AMD XFX Radeon RX590 8GB, 27" curved Samsung monitor.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Tomcatter87 said:

Can't find a trim button in the settings, is there one?

there is a Trim Hat on the Cyclic, do not confuse with the Engine Governor trim:

Bindings - Trim.jpg

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

5 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

there is a Trim Hat on the Cyclic, do not confuse with the Engine Governor trim:

Bindings - Trim.jpg

Alright, I found those, still missing some sort of a Force Trim button like you have in the Huey that I can press and then center the cyclic.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

3 minutes ago, Tomcatter87 said:

Alright, I found those, still missing some sort of a Force Trim button like you have in the Huey that I can press and then center the cyclic.

AFAIK the OH-6 doesn't have a Force Trim, you trim it like you would a plane using the provided bindings and that's it. Also no pedal trim whatsoever, but that's not really that big of a deal once you get up to speed...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I also get very inconsistent, chaotic roll behaviour.

Moreover, is there ground effect implemented in the flight model? Seems like I can have a very low descend speed, 100-50fpm, and it just hits the ground. I would think at that speed out of ground effect it would gently settle  into hover when in ground effect.

And yes, the throttle axis binding doesn't seem to work. Buttons work, though.

Edited by Xupicor
  • Like 2
  • Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

18 minutes ago, Xupicor said:

Moreover, is there ground effect implemented in the flight model? Seems like I can have a very low descend speed, 100-50fpm, and it just hits the ground. I would think at that speed out of ground effect it would gently settle  into hover when in ground effect.

And yes, the throttle axis binding doesn't seem to work. Buttons work, though.

Do you counter the roll moment?

Yes groundeffect is implemented. Groundeffect decreases with the distance between the rotor and the ground. The OH-6 is about 2.5 high and has a rotor radius about 4m. So you need to be quite close to the ground to get a "strong" effect.

• Like 2

@tobi the first iteration of OH-60 is really stunning. Thank you and your team of the effort put in this.

I found the flight model excellent. I'm flying with a Brunner FFB joystick with a 12 cm extension. I had to reduce a bit saturation on X/Y axis and then the heli is behaving fantastic. 

One note from me however, regarding the performance in VR. Even is supposed to be less complex, it seems to stutter more than other helis. I'm running on a 4090RTX PC ... pretty much maxed out. Maybe for your next iteration you might consider some performance tunning while in cockpit.

Thank you !!

• Like 1

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Posted (edited)

Further testing and currently my settings are this:

Collective  DZ-0  SatX - 80 SatY - 80  Curve- 10 ...possibly inverted but I think that is a Vipril requirement

Pitch DZ - 5 SatX -70 SatY - 70 Curve 0 (dead Zone of 5 stops oscillation of roll up to down)

Roll DZ- 5  SatX - 100 SAt Y - 100 Curve - 30  (dead Zone of 5 stops oscillation of roll left to right)

Anti Torque DZ- 0 SatX - 100 Sat Y-100 Curve 15

I can now hover reasonably Land and take off....... Bear in mind when landing keep descent rate inside the 500ft/min.... or the VRS is pretty much unrecoverable.

More to come im sure from everyone!

I f this can get a trim engage/release button it woulld be spot on 🙂

Edited by Marshallman

39 minutes ago, Marshallman said:

I f this can get a trim engage/release button it woulld be spot on 🙂

But the real aircraft does not have one:

Collective.jpg

Cyclic.jpg

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB