Sparrows and TWS

Ramius007

I just found out that Sparrows cant be locked while in TWS mode, may sound it's not a big deal for SARH missile, but seems like STT lock is way more vulnurable to jamming, even at clos ranges, found this one on 80's server against Mirage 2k, is it working as intended?

The Sparrow, regardless of airframe, requires an STT lock to guide. It’s an SARH missile. TWS doesn’t provide the amount of guidance it needs.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, draconus said:

Mind that Sparrow can also be guided in radar flood mode without a lock.

I tried flood with Sparrows vs AI recently, seem to be broken as well. We get like only 2? Cold War scenarios for Eagle with FC3, i think this might be a reason from being hidden how broken Eagle module currently is, definitely it's worst FC3 module, I understand we have plenty of FF bluefor modules, but leaving best dogfighter ever made in this state is sad, and currently except Tomcat bluefor dont have any heavy air superiority fighter. BTW, in modern era all those glitches doesnt matter, TWS burn through and AMRAAM's take care of all, yet i would preffer 80-90's Eagle to be competetive, it's not even working vs AI that good, any ECM from low RCS AI planes is as problematic as in MP enviroment, adjusting radar range to realistic level would be easiest solution. Best would be update of F-15C to FF plane in cooperation with Razbam, I persoanlly struggle with buying modules at 50$, as i m still new and thare is a lot of great cheaper content, but for FF F-15C I would pay, and IMO plane status deserve FF module.

Edited by Ramius007

30 minutes ago, Ramius007 said:

I tried flood with Sparrows vs AI recently, seem to be broken as well.

Where's your proof?

Here's mine of it working.

F-15C flood.trk

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

19 minutes ago, Ramius007 said:

I had contact in front of me and flood wasnt picking anything, but I give it another try.

Right, what else makes F-15C a "broken module" and the worst of FC3, I'm curious?

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

16 hours ago, Ramius007 said:

I tried flood with Sparrows vs AI recently, seem to be broken as well. We get like only 2? Cold War scenarios for Eagle with FC3, i think this might be a reason from being hidden how broken Eagle module currently is, definitely it's worst FC3 module, I understand we have plenty of FF bluefor modules, but leaving best dogfighter ever made in this state is sad, and currently except Tomcat bluefor dont have any heavy air superiority fighter. BTW, in modern era all those glitches doesnt matter, TWS burn through and AMRAAM's take care of all, yet i would preffer 80-90's Eagle to be competetive, it's not even working vs AI that good, any ECM from low RCS AI planes is as problematic as in MP enviroment, adjusting radar range to realistic level would be easiest solution. Best would be update of F-15C to FF plane in cooperation with Razbam, I persoanlly struggle with buying modules at 50$, as i m still new and thare is a lot of great cheaper content, but for FF F-15C I would pay, and IMO plane status deserve FF module.

Can you please clearly explain what exactly is broken on the F-15C module? If possible please also add short track replays showing the issues.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, QuiGon said:

Can you please clearly explain what exactly is broken on the F-15C module? If possible please also add short track replays showing the issues.

I happily enter more technical and specific things later but it's rather common knowledge that cockpit is from F-15A

btw, it would be better IMO for FC3 module to keep all campaign for those modules around early 90's as most modern scenario availble, giving Amraams to Eagle, and build content around modern setup is rather bad from balancing POV, and just realsim given cockpit we have, for both for Eagle and Soviet jets, yet we have only 2 missions in this setup for F-15C inside FC3

Edited by Ramius007

3 minutes ago, Ramius007 said:

it's rather common knowledge that cockpit is from F-15A

No, it's F-15C, where did you read that?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Cab said:

Where's the MFD?

ok, stupid me, it's C, but where are updates to GPS screen on right panel, if it's supposed to be variant upgraded with amraams?

Edited by Ramius007

15 minutes ago, Ramius007 said:

...also look at the stick.

As for GPS... you forgot about simplified systems nature of FC3.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, draconus said:

...also look at the stick.

I picked wrong photo, and other one i have is C in most modern "old" version

Had link to more than those 2, but one is inactive now, looking for new post Gulf War cockpit photos, but not from most modern variant

Edited by Ramius007

20 hours ago, Ramius007 said:

I had contact in front of me and flood wasnt picking anything, but I give it another try.

Anyway flood is a backup mode 

Flood mode isn't meant to lock-on something for you, it's just countinuous emitted wave in that circle that allow the sparrow to be guided under 10nm by just leaving the TGT in that said circle on the HUD.

BUT take in consideration that the TGT may beam the radar and make the sparrow going dumb even at 3nm, aspect relative to the TGT is important (and the plane let you know easily if it's okay to launch in flood mod because it'll turn on the launch lights if something is seen by the radar even in that mode

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramius007 said:

ok, stupid me, it's C, but where are updates to GPS screen on right panel, if it's supposed to be variant upgraded with amraams?

Our F-15C has AMRAAMS, so what are you talking about?

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

Our F-15C has AMRAAMS, so what are you talking about?

We have F-15C with Amraams C that get it after First Gulf War, but without other improvements in cockpit, like GPS, what is supposed to be APG 63V (1) from 90's performs terrible, but this radar get later improved as well to use amraams for full poential, we have modern amraams, but with 90's radar that is performing like 70's era radar, thare is few years old thread about underperforming radar that is still not fixed. In modern it's that big issue as Amraam lethal range in TWS agaisnt even small fighters not reduce effective range, but in cold war Sparrow scenarios that are nearly non existant in SP F-15C experiance, Sparrows under jamming are terrible underperforminng due bad radar modeling. Thats about weapons, another issue is not working autopilot level mode. Now for the flight model, occasional blackouts during landings feel weird, gear is made of glass compered to other aircraft, I also experianced glitches where landing on grass didnt made frame damage, but landing on runway resulted at least in blowing a tire. I lost wings recently on mp server, in what according to tacview was 1.3G manouver, classic WTF moment. Thare is also damage model that seems bugged, I had burning engines and voise telling me both engines are on fire, visually 1 engine was on fire, but BOTH engines were worknig like new, just landed plane like nothing happened, at least AB was damaged too, so nice to see this. I can make some cold war missions to reproduce how bad STT radar mode is performing in ECM enviroment, hopefully ED either bring F-15C of some version to FF module or fix current issues with F-15C. Of course i dotn have tracks for all those issues I mentioned, hopefully someone will assist in this, and i promise to bring evidence of all those issues if they happen again, but i say again, F-15C is worst FC3 module in terms of FM and avionics modelling. FM itself is ok i think, both performance and behavior, issues are various mentioned glitches

Edited by Ramius007
more issues come to mind

Wow, one bug - one thread, please, with a track. With rant like that you will get nowhere.

Radar performance was fixed last year and it's one of the best radars in DCS.

Langing gear is normal for USAF aircraft - learn to flare and touch it gently, preferably not on the grass.

What good would be GPS if the nav system is not simulated at all - it's simplified into fixed waypoints and that's all.

Sparrows are older missiles and it's normal for them to have poor ECCM capability.

I give you one for the AP - hardly a game breaker for an aircraft that trims itself so I'm not even using it.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Ramius007 said:

We have F-15C with Amraams C that get it after First Gulf War, but without other improvements in cockpit, like GPS, what is supposed to be APG 63V (1) from 90's performs terrible, but this radar get later improved as well to use amraams for full poential, we have modern amraams, but with 90's radar that is performing like 70's era radar, thare is few years old thread about underperforming radar that is still not fixed. In modern it's that big issue as Amraam lethal range in TWS agaisnt even small fighters not reduce effective range, but in cold war Sparrow scenarios that are nearly non existant in SP F-15C experiance, Sparrows under jamming are terrible underperforminng due bad radar modeling. Thats about weapons, another issue is not working autopilot level mode. Now for the flight model, occasional blackouts during landings feel weird, gear is made of glass compered to other aircraft, I also experianced glitches where landing on grass didnt made frame damage, but landing on runway resulted at least in blowing a tire. I lost wings recently on mp server, in what according to tacview was 1.3G manouver, classic WTF moment. Thare is also damage model that seems bugged, I had burning engines and voise telling me both engines are on fire, visually 1 engine was on fire, but BOTH engines were worknig like new, just landed plane like nothing happened, at least AB was damaged too, so nice to see this. I can make some cold war missions to reproduce how bad STT radar mode is performing in ECM enviroment, hopefully ED either bring F-15C of some version to FF module or fix current issues with F-15C. Of course i dotn have tracks for all those issues I mentioned, hopefully someone will assist in this, and i promise to bring evidence of all those issues if they happen again, but i say again, F-15C is worst FC3 module in terms of FM and avionics modelling. FM itself is ok i think, both performance and behavior, issues are various mentioned glitches

I'm not able to reproduce these issues. Please make a bug report thread for each issue with a short track replay for each that depicts the issue.

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg