DCS: MiG-29A Fulcrum

1 hour ago, Donglr said:

I WILL buy that thing EA because it is the MOST BEAUTIFUL FIGHTER JET EVER MADE and I want to fly that thing, with all its "russian-ness"😅

That is one of the best comments of appreciation I saw regarding Fulcrum. Fully agree! 

• Like 4

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

8 hours ago, Romeo said:

Один МиГ - Хорошо, а Два МиГа лучше

SAVX6700-550.jpg

Triplets then:

39316.jpg

• Like 3

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

On 1/12/2024 at 5:40 PM, Gierasimov said:

From the newsletter: 

Air-To-Air Missile Development. We plan to migrate the R-27 (AA-10) family and R-73  (AA-11) missiles to a new component structure and flight dynamics. This will be coupled with a new proximity fuse model that accounts for Doppler closing speed, modified seekers, and a more realistic interaction model between the missile and the supporting radar. This will be done within the larger MiG-29 project framework. Other missile types will also be developed in the same way.

Yeah, saw it! 👍 Curious what else. The fact that we will finally get a proper semi-modern Russian jet, is beyond words! Great times ahead! 👍

Edited by zerO_crash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

10 hours ago, Donglr said:

just thinking of the Mig29 made me remember this excellent DCS video. I think it won in a competition,

The Ghost

Ooh thanks for sharing: I hadn’t seen that one before! 🥳

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

its a pre-order on day one, 

one does not buy mig29 in dcs to kill enemies online, its to fly as close to really flying a legend, a true masterpiece, history and present and hint of a future all wrapped into one, the russian design, intuition, engineering solutions, elegance.. i can easily see myself just flying it, all clean config, take her to the skies, enjoy the landscape and listen to every noise she makes and land it as gently as i will master landing her.. and then i shall have a nice well deserved sleep. will probably dream about flying the bird as well.

if i would have more money i would take the real mig29ub flight in moscow(doubt its open for westerners now if it is offered anyhow), so this is as close as all we enthusiast will get.

Please ED, take your time, but also, please hurry up)))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kaktus said:

its a pre-order on day one, 

one does not buy mig29 in dcs to kill enemies online, its to fly as close to really flying a legend, a true masterpiece, history and present and hint of a future all wrapped into one, the russian design, intuition, engineering solutions, elegance.. i can easily see myself just flying it, all clean config, take her to the skies, enjoy the landscape and listen to every noise she makes and land it as gently as i will master landing her.. and then i shall have a nice well deserved sleep. will probably dream about flying the bird as well.

if i would have more money i would take the real mig29ub flight in moscow(doubt its open for westerners now if it is offered anyhow), so this is as close as all we enthusiast will get.

Please ED, take your time, but also, please hurry up)))

Im definitely gonna do pvp in it, its fun to be at a disadvantage and it forces you to really perfect your positioning, which helps in any plane (plus it gives you bragging rights lol)               And using some mountains and the IRST can practically become a stealth fighter lol

As for taking a flight in one IRL, yea the only one I know of (Migflug) shut down their mig29 flights a while ago now (I think pre-invasion), still they do offer some other cool plane flights in the US and Germany. If you do wanna see one fly I think there's one in the US that visits airshows, though I don't know much about that

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:52 AM, LTC123apple said:

And using some mountains and the IRST can practically become a stealth fighter lol

That's not how that IRST should work (not like in FC3). Laser ranging only works out to 6km in unubstructed conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Viper33 said:

That's not how that IRST should work (not like in FC3). Laser ranging only works out to 6km in unubstructed conditions.

But after 8 seconds of lock we do get radar ranging at rate of 0.25 hz….. who knows if this one pulse every 4 seconds will be enough to set off RWR 

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

5 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

But after 8 seconds of lock we do get radar ranging at rate of 0.25 hz….. who knows if this one pulse every 4 seconds will be enough to set off RWR 

So you'd lock a bandit with IRST and radar turned off. If laser rangefinding is not successful, the radar will automatically go into ranging only mode, while azimuth is provided by IRST.
Is this correct?

3 hours ago, twistking said:

So you'd lock a bandit with IRST and radar turned off. If laser rangefinding is not successful, the radar will automatically go into ranging only mode, while azimuth is provided by IRST.
Is this correct?

IRST lock, laser is set to off. Radar goes to radar ranging after 8 seconds AFAIK. IRST, KOLS in this case provides both elevation and azimuth while radar updates range and closure velocity every 4 seconds. This continues until you get close enough to have laser. I forget if you can keep laser on the whole time or if it needs to be off to get quasi continuous radar ranging, so I would have to do more reading on the 

One peculiarity if IRST in MiG-29 is its fixed in elevation in search mode, unlike Su-27 OLS-27 IRST that uses same delta-H elevation control as Radar 

• Thanks 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

1 hour ago, AeriaGloria said:

[...] One peculiarity if IRST in MiG-29 is its fixed in elevation in search mode, unlike Su-27 OLS-27 IRST that uses same delta-H elevation control as Radar 

Thanks for the explanation. So Mig-29 IRST is fixed in elevation when searching, but it is NOT fixed when locked on a target? So it can track at different elevation, but it just doesn't when searching?! That's quite peculiar indeed!

19 hours ago, Viper33 said:

you can combine both so it's even better than FC3. FC3 have the IRST fixed as well on Mig-29. Su-27 have elevation and azimuth, it is way advanced compared to Mig-29. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

One peculiarity if IRST in MiG-29 is its fixed in elevation in search mode, unlike Su-27 OLS-27 IRST that uses same delta-H elevation control as Radar 

Did I read this correctly the pilot has to drive the vertical movement for a search?

4 hours ago, pepin1234 said:

you can combine both so it's even better than FC3. FC3 have the IRST fixed as well on Mig-29. Su-27 have elevation and azimuth, it is way advanced compared to Mig-29. 

What does this even mean?

2 hours ago, okopanja said:

Did I read this correctly the pilot has to drive the vertical movement for a search?

Or with HMS.

12 hours ago, twistking said:

Thanks for the explanation. So Mig-29 IRST is fixed in elevation when searching, but it is NOT fixed when locked on a target? So it can track at different elevation, but it just doesn't when searching?! That's quite peculiar indeed!

Yes, limits are +/-30 degrees azimuth, +30/-15 degrees elevation. It can track a target or be used in HMS mode at any point in that range, but the search mode only covers +/-15 degrees elevation, and azimuth depending on settings of FOV. In wide FOV, it scans the entire azimuth range. In narrow FOV, it scans +/-15 degrees azimuth, and can be skewed left or right. 

I did some reading and switch between laser and radar ranging is thus if I translated correctly. If laser ranging unsuccessful, then radar is switched to quasi-continuous range update every 4 seconds. If you press lock/capture button a second time, it restarts laser, if within the 3-6.5 km max range of the laser it will switch to laser. When within 1.2 km, laser switches from 0.25 hz update to 4 hz, so that range is updated 4x per second for sake of accurate gun use. 

Laser can only operate for 420 pulses, and 3.5 minutes continuously. It will be interesting if that’s total use or continuous, and how easy it will be to hit that limit in DCS 

5 hours ago, okopanja said:

for MiG-29, using KOLS in search, you either have to make sure target is in +/-15 degrees of boresight, at which point target will be at top of HUD if higher and bottom of HUD if lower, or move the nose itself to expand the search beyond the +/-15 degree elevation limit of search. 

• Thanks 2

Looking forward to this! Sure, it's not going to be a peer-to-peer adversary, but it'll still give good pilots a chance to threaten people with the maneuverability. 

And, even if you're out-classed, it'll still be fun to get another RedFor aircraft for online servers where you can have enemy aircraft for countries like Syria, Iran, Iraq, whoever, played by actual humans who can take advantage of the abilities better than AI.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aaronwhite said:

Looking forward to this! Sure, it's not going to be a peer-to-peer adversary, but it'll still give good pilots a chance to threaten people with the maneuverability. 

And, even if you're out-classed, it'll still be fun to get another RedFor aircraft for online servers where you can have enemy aircraft for countries like Syria, Iran, Iraq, whoever, played by actual humans who can take advantage of the abilities better than AI.

Yeah, I agree with this. Just watched a video of, a somewhat "refreshed", "Joemate" bagging 4 player flown F-16's in his F-5 on a multiplayer server. So yeah, plane is only as good as it's pilot and the MiG-29, even in somewhat capable hands, will be a real threat to any opponent.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 12:04 PM, apolloace said:

Interesting Video. 😀

This is another kind of beast, ++++ far from the MIG-29A. Smokeless engines, extended flight range with more fuel, MFCDs with datalink and air to ground capability, R-77 and another new weapons, a new radar, air to air refueling. Ufff. Is like the SMT, the K or the Peruvian SMP

• Like 4

Wanted a full fidelity Mig-29 since Lock On, but was in love with it since i was a kid. Used to see a lot of those, just like the Mi-24 since Polish Air Force operates them.

Dream come true. 

• Like 2

Does someone know if Eagle Dynamics uses 3D Scans for its new planes and cockpits? Grinnelli Designs showed some pictures of using it for the cockpit and details of the F-100D.
The F-16 Cockpit is not very accurate on the Dimensions in the cockpit. I hope ED can scan a MiG-29 Cockpit.

• Like 2

Bye, Smith

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-9600K @5ghz, 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Twin Fan, 32GB (2x 16384MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3000 DIMM, 1000GB WD Black SN750 Gaming M.2, HP Reverb HMD, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, Realsimulator FSSB R3 Stickbase, TM TPR pedals