F-4E Manual Feedback Mega-Thread

IronMike

Dear all,

as we published the F-4E Manual today, we hope you all enjoy reading it and getting a head start for your very own F-4!

Of course we would kindly like to ask you for feedback and suggestions - of any kind. Please use this thread to help us keep an overview.

Here is the manual link again:

https://f4.manuals.heatblur.se/

Note: access to GitHub and the pdf version will follow a bit later.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 7

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

39 minutes ago, IronMike said:

we hope you all enjoy reading it and getting a head start for your very own F-4!

thanks for releasing the manual early … loved the chapter on modding, and the crew chief … also the option to have the initial switches position randomized 😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Faces! Faces everywhere! 😁

Heatblur really dialed it to 11 with this one. The whole approach, from the systems simulation to the open source approach of the interactive manual, is just brilliant. I really hope that it will all work out as intended! (I have no real doubt about it though!). 

In short: 👍

• Like 5

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

11 hours ago, IronMike said:

Dear all,

as we published the F-4E Manual today, we hope you all enjoy reading it and getting a head start for your very own F-4!

Of course we would kindly like to ask you for feedback and suggestions - of any kind. Please use this thread to help us keep an overview.

Here is the manual link again:

https://f4.manuals.heatblur.se/

Note: access to GitHub and the pdf version will follow a bit later.

Thanks!

1. Cockpit overview - Weapon Management - AWRU controls: please provide an entry in the 'abbreviations' as to what AWRU stands for 🙂 
I looked up it stands for 'Aircraft Weapons Release Unit' (in the DCS store product description for the Phantom) but the point is that it's not listed in the manual (edit: it is explained but further down).

2. Station select buttons: there is a belly-view picture of a Phantom with the stations listed, but LO and LI are on the right wing, and RO and RI are on the left wing (from the crew's perspective). Perhaps this is correct, but it's counter-intuitive especially since the cockpit panel displays LO and LI on the left, and RO and RI on the right. Can this be confirmed/clarified?

Thanks!

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3.10.1: In the 'Polarization Control' section, it's talking about 'light'. Should likely be talking about 'energy' or 'RF' or something along those lines.

Edited by Sealpup

Reading through this and the thing that has me most excited is the new approach to training and Ground Chief. As with the Tomcat I think HB are raising the bar yet again! Can't wait to learn this module inside out!

I was just wondering how much the recent Speed and Angels campaign has influenced the new training route? It sounds a total win!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sealpup said:

Also, is it just me, or is there nothing in the manual about the HUD/Sight specifically?

A/A Put the thing on the thing and pull the trigger. 

A/G  Put the thing on the thing and pickle  .

HUD chapter complete. 

Edited by =475FG= Dawger
  • Like 3

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

2 hours ago, Sealpup said:

Also, is it just me, or is there nothing in the manual about the HUD/Sight specifically?

the F-4E does not have a HUD, the sight is shown on the A/A gun section, its similar to the one on the F-5E.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

11 hours ago, zarusoba10 said:

There is no note in the defogger section that says "Due to engine limitations...".
Does this mean the DCS F-4E's canopy glass will experience simulated "fogging"?

If so, this is a very interesting feature.

JF-17 has it so I don't see why not. Also I want Jester to yell "TURN THE HEAT OFF" if you mismanage the ECS. 😄 

• Like 2

Hey @IronMike,

thanks a lot for the release, I really appreciate the noticeable great work you put into this manual!

I found a small thing in chapter 2.1.4: The manual says (1) on the Flight Director Group is the "Barometric Altimeter" but I think it should say it's the "Airspeed and Mach Indicator", right?

Cheers Milan

Screenshot 2024-01-29 074601.png

• Like 1

I hope I didn't miss anything but it seems that in chapter 3.2.1 - Engines, the diagram with throttles is numbered but only (3) is elaborated upon. I believe the counter measures dispense button is explained under the ECM chapter but the other labels are not.

9 hours ago, JesseJames38 said:

Not sure if this is an error in the manual or the switch in the jet.   The manual calls the switch position AOJ OUT. the switch says AOU OUTIMG_2622.png

The in-game picture has a stencil/label bug which will be fixed. AOJ (as the manual says) is correct.

• Thanks 1