!!! Microsoft kills WMR with Windows 11 version 24H2 and newer !!!

Ulukai

i have this update: 2024-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 should i do it?

Edited by Gregkar

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have done the latest 23H2 update and it didnt affect WMR.    

It should only be the big 24H2 update that does it.  

MSI X790 Carbon Wifi, 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim X, 64gb DDR5 6400CL30, HP Reverb G2, VKB NXT Evo, VKB STECS Max, Thrustmaster rudder pedals

On 2/15/2024 at 1:13 PM, Gregkar said:

i have this update: 2024-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 should i do it?

The update 24H2 that removes WMR-Support is for Windows 11 only. As long as Windows 10 gets official support - that's as far as I know until end 2025 - WMR should remain usable. But who knows if MS doesn't remove it from Windows 10, too.

Edited by schmiefel

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

2 hours ago, Elphaba said:

What's wrong with a dual boot of two versions of Windows 11. One WMR with no updates and the other fully updated? 

Why would you bother? What benefits from 24H2 are we going to get that would make it worth going through having 2 OS's installed, Dual boot, taking up room on the SSD, etc. I mean, if there is an amazing feature that Windows is bringing you can't live without in 24H2, then it's an option - but honestly, at this stage, it seems that MS knows how to make things worse, not better with their OS updates, and staying on an earlier one with the security patches still flowing is the more practical option. 

What really gets me with this is, just like Windows Media Center - it seems independent apps are far better than going with Microsoft ones. I can still run a 3rd party media center app on the current version of windows, but you want what MS developed... you're S.O.L.  Strewth - I can run apps from DOS days on my current PC. All this shows me is that if a product is independently, there's probably going to be a way of using it in the future. If it relies on Microsoft - there's a good chance Microsoft will decide to screw us in years to come, whether that be VR, Windows Media Center, or whatever the next thing out is.

And all this happening when Microsoft's newest flight sim is on the Horizon... I can't follow their logic at all.

3 hours ago, Elphaba said:

What's wrong with a dual boot of two versions of Windows 11. One WMR with no updates and the other fully updated? 

Drive space is relatively cheap now, so whilst initially my reaction was ???, it does have some positives.

If you were to go that route,, you could have the WMR version as dedicated to DCS, which would hopefully reduce the amount of pap that tends to build up in windows over time.

Issues that spring to mind include the potential obsolescence of the WMR build, meaning that other components may stop working or being upgraded, eg new functionality in video card drivers

Personally I’d wait and see.  As already mentioned, it’s likely that MS will cease to support WMR as again remove code

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Time to sell my G2 I guess...

If you have no plans to change it then the amount of effort selling it will far exceed the effort to keep Windows 11 from updating to 24H2 sometime in the future, the update version prior to 24H2 will continue to receive security updates for quite some time.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

4 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

If you have no plans to change it then the amount of effort selling it will far exceed the effort to keep Windows 11 from updating to 24H2 sometime in the future, the update version prior to 24H2 will continue to receive security updates for quite some time.

WMR always felt like a terrible idea, and was terribly implemented to boot. There is a reason why Microsoft is getting rid of it. I'm not using my G2 because it's a hassle to set up correctly and WMR is a big part of that. I was looking for an excuse to sell it, and this is as good as any. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

13 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Appreciate the video, thanks for posting.

For those wanting to save 5 minutes watching youtube, wondering what it's about - it's a way to increase the amount of time you can pause windows updates for (up to 10 years).

Just open regedit, navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings

Create a new dword called FlightSettingsMaxPauseDays and set it to the max days you want (Set it to 3654, and you have 10 years you can pause windows updates for).

Then restart (not sure if required) and go to windows update settings, and you have the option to pause for that long if you scroll down the selection of weeks.

This will of course pause all updates, not just the major ones. It may be possible to continue doing security updates, etc without upgrading to 24H2 without using this pause, but honestly - I love the idea of pausing updates until I choose "Update now" when I want to do it... you know... like we used to do back in the good ol days when PC's stood for "Personal Computer" and it was ours, not Microsofts.

Edited by Dangerzone

Per the Tomshardware link from @Cab

Wouldn't the bricking of one's headset qualify as a "known hardware incompatibility" and an "outstanding issue"?

Systems with known hardware incompatibilities will be pushed to the back of the update line, to allow for software/driver updates to address outstanding issues.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:49 AM, Lurker said:

I was looking for an excuse to sell it, and this is as good as any.

"There's a sucker born every minute", that's what you're thinking?

Rather than pausing updates it is possible to set a target feature update, which Windows will stop updating to a later feature update but all security patches will still update.

Assuming 24H1 coming out in a couple of months is the last feature update to support WMR then simply set the target feature update to 24H1. It should be supported with security patches for another 2 years or so (approx April 2026)

Instructions here https://www.elevenforum.com/t/specify-target-feature-update-version-in-windows-11.3811/?fbclid=IwAR3B2XcWAAg1ABVe7gD6-BU5V5uRVMyUaNX7VlKDE_X4ZMI5MfhrRvgbsrE

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat