Two Screws Missing

Raisuli

Add this to the SC wake wish list; two of the screws are missing.

Doing some screenshot processing of an F-18 overhead to land and realized that's a two-screw boat down there!  American carriers, at least outside Tom Clancy novels, have four; two in each engine room (even on the -65).

2 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

That's a CV-63 Kitty Hawk, isn't it?

The skin is. The carrier itself is the standard CVN-71. Check the infobar at the bottom of the pic. The skins only change the hull number and name, not the 3D model.

Edited by Nealius

31 minutes ago, norman99 said:

The real question should be, why do we even see them? I’ve never seen a real world photo of a carrier under power with these visible.

It's DCS problem. The water is too transparent.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

And I came here thinking My wife was spreading rumors about me!

She always says I have screws loose!

🤣

• Like 2

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

5 hours ago, norman99 said:

The real question should be, why do we even see them? I’ve never seen a real world photo of a carrier under power with these visible.

Depends on the map, which I can only assume is trying to replicate the visibility of their respective oceans. Of the maps we have I've only personally been to the Marianas and the water is pretty damn clear. Maybe not as clear as what's pictured, and particularly at that angle, but at certain angles you could see at least a chunk of the screws in theory--solid 20~30m visibility last time I went diving there, and that includes looking straight down from the boat, not just while under water. Pretty sure there's a YouTube video somewhere as well with carrier crew swimming in the deep blue and you can catch a sight of the screws.

PG, Sinai, Syria, in comparison you can't see them at all.  

That said, I think it's less of a water transparency issue and more of a total lack of "churn" in the water. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

Don't look underwater, look down.  That is a two-screw boat (in a bathtub).  Wake modeling; ED has said they're working on it, so they might as well fix that, too...

(I've never seen a screw, at sea or in port, under water, and I always looked.  Maybe on the Dalmatian coast, where the water is as clear as glass, but was never there in the Navy.  I have been to Diego Garcia, where the water is every bit as clear as the Marianas, and didn't see the screws while we were tied to the pier.)

(Okay, that's not completely true, but I was the designated diver looking for screw damage and the visibility was absolute crap.  Never told anyone I hit my head on the damn thing, and the water was below freezing when I did it)

Sinai Overhead 1.jpg

Edited by Raisuli
  • Like 1

We've already established that the 3D model has four screws. Where is the "two scews" claim coming from?

9 hours ago, Raisuli said:

where the water is every bit as clear as the Marianas, and didn't see the screws while we were tied to the pier

At pier/in harbor is not equivalent to off the coast or in deep water. The shallower waters and constant, large boat traffic will disturb the silt and make the water cloudy. Not to mention all the garbage from all the people and industrial work there.

Edited by Nealius

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Nealius said:

We've already established that the 3D model has four screws. Where is the "two scews" claim coming from?

At pier/in harbor is not equivalent to off the coast or in deep water. The shallower waters and constant, large boat traffic will disturb the silt and make the water cloudy. Not to mention all the garbage from all the people and industrial work there.

You've never been to Diego Garcia...or Hvar...  🙂

To answer your question, that's a two-screw wake, not a four screw wake.  There's a difference.  You can count the screws (one, two, three, or four, and I've seen all of the above) by looking at the wake.

2016.05.18-14.19.52.JPG

Edited by Raisuli
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Ah, the wake. Now I see what you mean.

Re: pic. That's pretty shallow for a carrier.

It's a Croatian carrier.  Or the Enterprise; they had a thing about ripping bilge keels off going in and out of port. 

There are better pictures on-line; it was breezy the day I was there (thankfully) and the water was a little churned up, but it's that clear all up and down the coast.  Absolute glass.  Cold, but glass.

The lagoon at Diego Garcia was hands down the nicest clear water diving I've ever done anywhere.  Limitless visibility, warm, sheltered from the IO at large, and I wasn't dressed up in fifty layers of yellow replacing equipment in the (hot, of course) RC.  Great times!

Then, just as I'm ready to get seriously bent chasing those sharks around we get called back up to the gulf at best possible speed, which for us was way the heck faster than anyone else in the battle group.  Started in last place, got there first because they were all looking for the nearest gas station before they really got started.  The Connie might have kept up if everyone else wasn't sucking gas off her.

There is something cool about burning metal rather than asphalt.

• Like 1

Just 1 image of the proper wake or 2 for comparison would've been enough in OP to stop confusing everyone. Same with the title - what a great choice.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria