Latest Oculus v63 PTC build crashing DCS when used on Oculus Link

SrSosio

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Dear all, 

By default DCS uses OpenXR which is supported by Oculus.

For Multithreading DCS we also have a native Oculus API available which can be enabled by adding --force_oculus_VR

Due to the priority order OpenXR driver is selected first (prior to v62 oculus update) this was working well,

with Oculus v63 they broke OpenXR for DCS.

As a work around users can use native oculus with --force_oculus_VR

We do have a fix for the v63 driver coming in a future patch that will allow openXR to work correctly again for Oculus using the newer driver. 

Thank you 

Hello, I tried this right now and it´s not working with v63 at the moment.  I tried the line that Skatezilla wrote in some posts above, and still behaves the same way, DCS closes while in the splash screen and that´s it. 

Edited by mimamema
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Target line example in properties 

"D:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_oculus_VR

hope that helps

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

apologies, just noticed my line in my prev. post had one to many -'s, corrected

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Does V63 also crash with Virtual Desktop? Please correct me if I am wrong, Mbucchia wrote the quadviews implementation with OpenXR in mind. Does the transition from OpenXR runtime to Oculus prevent DFR from working?

Thankfully I yet to be "upgraded" and turned off updates before V63 could be installed. If you like me have been left out, go into settings, updates and turn them off for now

• ED Team
58 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Does V63 also crash with Virtual Desktop? Please correct me if I am wrong, Mbucchia wrote the quadviews implementation with OpenXR in mind. Does the transition from OpenXR runtime to Oculus prevent DFR from working?

Thankfully I yet to be "upgraded" and turned off updates before V63 could be installed. If you like me have been left out, go into settings, updates and turn them off for now

Sorry I am not sure as I don't have oculus myself. 

What I do know is Oculus software update v63 is causing DCS not to start and the log will show the GPU is missing. 

A fix has been made by us ready for the next DCS update. 

thanks

• Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, nikoel said:

V63 on the headset still works with VD and DCS. At least it does for me. You don't need the desktop oculus app if you use VD. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Target line example in properties 

"D:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_oculus_VR

hope that helps

I already tried that line yesterday but I have tried again today and it is not working for me, I´m using Quest Pro but that should not really make a difference. I´m just testing it to avoid confusion with all those non-very computer-skilled users, as to me it´s quite easy to go back to v62 for the moment, and if that fix comes out before v63 becomes an official release then everything will be alright. 

Does not work for my Quest 3 either. Rolling back to v62.

Edit: I swear since i have "force_oculus_VR" instead of "force_openXR" in the shortcut comment with v62 software, DCS runs smoother. 

Edited by jurinko

34 minutes ago, jurinko said:

Edit: I swear since i have "force_oculus_VR" instead of "force_openXR" in the shortcut comment with v62 software, DCS runs smoother. 

Yes, I´m not surprised by this to be honest, I will give it a go later on.

9 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Sorry I am not sure as I don't have oculus myself. 

What I do know is Oculus software update v63 is causing DCS not to start and the log will show the GPU is missing. 

A fix has been made by us ready for the next DCS update. 

thanks

@BIGNEWY When is this patch arriving?, as far as I know, Meta is already starting to release v63 as the stable version, and I can see a good bunch of VR users not very happy about it as using Oculus VR is not working either 😅. TBH I thought the release of stable v63 was going to take longer. Hope you manage to fix this soon.

10 hours ago, nikoel said:

Oculus (OVR) isn't OpenXR, so none of your OpenXR mods will work in this configuration.

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

10 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

Oculus (OVR) isn't OpenXR, so none of your OpenXR mods will work in this configuration.

I genuinely think this has nothing to do with OpenXR tbh, as trying to load DCS with Oculus VR isn´t working as well, at least on my end. But using Steam link or VD works ok with OpenXR. Anyway I could be wrong or not but with v63 stable releasing right at the moment is going to become a problem for a lot of DCS VR players that are not aware of this.

• ED Team
1 hour ago, mimamema said:

When is this patch arriving?

I have no date to share for the next patch, please keep an eye on the patch status forum post for news linked in my signature below. 

Oculus made a change with v63 which has created this problem, and for a fix in DCS we will need to wait for the next patch. 

Work around is to use the native Oculus API or do not update to v63. 

thank you

1 hour ago, mimamema said:

@BIGNEWY When is this patch arriving?, as far as I know, Meta is already starting to release v63 as the stable version, and I can see a good bunch of VR users not very happy about it as using Oculus VR is not working either 😅. TBH I thought the release of stable v63 was going to take longer. Hope you manage to fix this soon.

You can block the Oculus app from updating:
Simply browse to C:\Program Files\Oculus (or where you installed your application)
Create a new file called Staging (with no extension)
Create a new file called tmp (also, no extension)
rename folder \Staging to bak.Staging
rename folder \tmp to bak.tmp

This blocks the update. When there is an update, you still get a notification that there is an update and that it is in progress but if you check it's shows as queued and the update will be blocked.
Just reverse the steps and restart the app to let the update go through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

57 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Work around is to use the native Oculus API or do not update to v63. 

thank you

I´ve been reporting above that the workaround you are proposing (or whoever did, as I guess you are only the messenger) is not working on my end and afaik isn´t working for anyone else at the moment ( as nobody else has shown up saying is working for them), my intention was more to ask for possible a hotfix, I know where to look for the next update date already but thank you.  

57 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Oculus made a change with v63 which has created this problem, and for a fix in DCS we will need to wait for the next patch. 

Well, now that mentioned maybe you should have a look at what META says about the issue.  Re: PTC v63 - DCS crashes on Link - Meta Community Forums - 1159560 (atmeta.com)

2 minutes ago, jurinko said:

We can always get hotfix if v63 goes stable. That --force oculus vr thing does not work though.

I was hoping for something like this but not much after the answer I got above.

Edited by mimamema

• ED Team
10 hours ago, mimamema said:

I´ve been reporting above that the workaround you are proposing (or whoever did, as I guess you are only the messenger) is not working on my end and afaik isn´t working for anyone else at the moment ( as nobody else has shown up saying is working for them), my intention was more to ask for possible a hotfix, I know where to look for the next update date already but thank you.  

I will ask the team to check again. To be sure 1. are you using multithreading DCS 2. Not using OpenXR

10 hours ago, mimamema said:

Well, now that mentioned maybe you should have a look at what META says about the issue.  Re: PTC v63 - DCS crashes on Link - Meta Community Forums - 1159560 (atmeta.com)

The problem has been caused by the Environment Access Check timeout for Meta Quest Link v.63 being changed

@BIGNEWYIs it possible to release a hotfix, beacause of the relatively long time to the next patch?

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

• ED Team
16 minutes ago, Flummi said:

@BIGNEWYIs it possible to release a hotfix, beacause of the relatively long time to the next patch?

Hi,
no, we are not planning a hot fix at this stage. 

I have also mentioned the issue to META in their support page (not that it matters too much 😞  as they use AI for response! )

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

13 hours ago, mimamema said:

I've been reporting above that the workaround you are proposing (or whoever did, as I guess you are only the messenger) is not working on my end and afaik isn´t working for anyone else at the moment ( as nobody else has shown up saying is working for them), my intention was more to ask for possible a hotfix, I know where to look for the next update date already but thank you.  

The oculus_VR approach works for me. Just no open xr so I can't use OXRTK or QVFR.

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Qcumber said:

The oculus_VR approach works for me. Just no open xr so I can't use OXRTK or QVFR.

correct and thanks for confirming, 

you have to be in MT DCS and not in openXR mode for native oculus to work. 

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will ask the team to check again. To be sure 1. are you using multithreading DCS 2. Not using OpenXR

Hi, thank you for answering. 

1. Yes I'm using MT.

2. That's the point of the line you are suggesting us to use, use oculusVR instead of OpenXR. To be more clear and as some others have pointed out in v62, if I add " --force_enable_VR --force_oculus_VR" it loads in oculusVR, and I know cause OpenXRtoolkit or quad views stopped working ( it's faster than looking at logs). 

If I update again to v63 and use the same modified shortcut DCS just doesn't open, same symptoms as the original report about this, the same as if we are using OpenXR. I have even tried disabling oculus as being the openXR renderer and it doesn't work either. 

3. I'm one of the beta testers of Quad Views and VirtualDesktopXR, so I'm very happy to try any other solutions you can have in regard of this. I'm mostly doing this for the community that is not aware of all of this and I don't think they are going to like not being able to use DCS VR for the longer time that now a patch is taking to arrive to DCS.

4 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

Are you using v63 in your PC oculus app? Can you share the line you added to the shortcut for the us to test?

• Like 1

Tried right now (again, must be the 6th time), openXR as not the default openXR renderer ( as there´s no OpenXR mode) and in v63. And I´m using the shortcut in the screenshot ( that worked in v62). DCS does not open, it closes while in the splash screen. nullnull

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, mimamema said:

Are you using v63 in your PC oculus app? Can you share the line you added to the shortcut for the us to test?

I am using v63 in the headset and v62 in the desktop app. I thought my desktop app had updated so I guess I will keep this as is.

The link I am using is "D:\DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_oculus_VR

Edit due to error.

Edited by Qcumber