F-15E missing features / roadmap

AvroLanc

I posted the following list in the official discord as a way to inform and guide discussion on the future of the F-15E and the features that still need to be done. Hopefully RB are aware of all.

''F-15E Unofficial Roadmap

In an attempt to be constructive I suggest that we as a user base put together a list of new features and improvements that we might reasonably like to see in the module. RB's current 'roadmap' is very barebones and contains only big headline features in a very broad and generalised sense. Something more detailed is required, similar to what ED have done with Hornet, Viper, Apache etc. There was some talk of starting this yesterday, and I'll get the ball rolling.

Note, this is not intended as a entitled or 'demanding' wish list, but as a collection of features still to be expected. No one is expecting a 1:1 recreation of the SE, this is a list of additions and improvements we might reasonably expect for a high fidelity module in DCS,  especially when compared to it's competing modules. Note that almost all of the features below have very similar equivalents in modules such as the Hornet, Viper, Tomcat and RB's own Mirage.

Nor should this become a mere minor bug list, that can be a separate thing. 

-HUD A/G
--Enable TDC slewing of the TD diamond when IN CMD of the HUD
--Add a working AG Gun reticle with AGR and LAS ranging as options.
--Add the AG Reticle Range bar for AGR and LAS ranges when valid
--Add the Pull-Up Cue and the F,D and M pull-up cue conditions. (Frag, Dud or MRA setting)
--Add the Pattern Steering Line (PSL) command steering bar when a PSL has been designated on the AG radar. 
--Add the 25 mil small reticle display as an option, selectable on the HUD repeater page.
--Add pilot laser fire when IN CMD of Hud. (see below)

- HUD A/A
--Add/improve the Gunsight GDS and FNL calculations.
--Add the 'Degrees till break lock' readout above the waterline symbol when in expanded azimuth radar mode.
--Add IFF cues on STT or PDT TD box when valid
--Add the target locator line (This may be suite dependant?)

-HUD General
--Add NAVFLIR Snaplook and Look-in-to-Turn features. Logic for offsetting display in boresight is already there.....
--Add HUD Caged Velocity Vector.

-- Add HUD PROG page and HUD decluttering feature.

-TSD
--Add the range marks and distance from centreline marks
--Add the RBM radar search pattern footprint
--Add the AG radar cursor position
--Add the HRM patch map cue (footprint)
--Add the TGP IR cue (solid and broken, dot for track etc)
--Add ability to take CMD and cue the HRM or TPOD position and track state from the TSD.
--Enable the PP and Steerpoint 'look ahead' feature.
--Add the Ground Speed and Bank angle function for curved flight path turn radius prediction. Important for TFR.
--Add the PDT or STT AA target symbol.
--Add ability to display 'Avoidance Areas' (essentially threat rings) as defined in Mission Editor.

-LANTIRN TGT IR / TPOD
--Add dynamic Point Track box (symbology) for proper point tracking.
--Improve the designation logic. There should be no LOS 'jump' when designating.
--Improve/correct CDES behaviour. Track State boxed, no manual slew, etc.
--Enable digital laser range readout above 8.2 nm, should be up to approx 13.4nm.
--Enable manual level and gain control.
--Add AA modes. Simple slaved to STT or PDT would suffice for now.
--Add ability for pilot to fire TPOD laser for ranging when IN CMD of HUD (and not TPOD) and TPOD slaved to TD diamond.

-A/G and Nav Logic
--Fix MN and INS, non GPS functions. MN and INS are still too buggy and can't be trusted. Drift rate too high etc.
--Finish the AUTO HAT logic. Improve LASER AGR SYSG hierarchy and selection logic.
--Add MANUAL HAT. Add HRM, PASS and RALT as ranging options with correct conditions and usage cases. (Admittedly low priority).
--Add the WIND MODEL with corresponding MFD page for capture and entry.
--Add MANUAL Bombing mode. Both MAN FF and MAN RET mode should be added, along with the Reticle Depression entry on the AG DEL page. Other modules have this even if only 0.69% of users practice it.
--HUD ILS bars should be command steering bars and not just Localiser and Glideslope repeaters.

-UFC
--Add the missing Data page 2 functions:
---TOT, Time on Target function with corresponding HUD command velocity wiper.
---Fuel at next Steerpoint 
---Lookahead ETE/ETA and TOT/TOA functions
--Correct the logic and display of GPWS audio and add HUD GPWS pull up arrow.
--Zero Point Designation feature for the truly sadistic.
--Add Overfly and HUD position updating procedure.

-WEAPONS
--GBU-24 / Paveway 3 HUD displays and improvements. Model a correct PW3 LAR bracket display with ED's current MODE 1 (and sorta 2) flight model. Correct the TIMPACT time calculation for both AUTO and DIR.
--Add Desired Ground Range DGR entry for PW3.
--Improve MK20 Rockeye fuzing to have PRI and OPTION rather than TIME and HEIGHT. PRI is 1.2s and OPT 4s.
--Improve BLU-107 ballistics calculation.
--Smart Weapons page:
---Add the 'Un-Target' feature
---Add RPL QTY release feature
---Add EDIT FUZE once ED has completed new fuzing simulation.
---Add JSOW and WCMD burst height settings.

-RADAR
--Add FLOOD mode for SARH shots.
--Add visual launch mode for AMRAAM
--Add SBR mode for AIM-9.
--Add TWS Sort mode.

--Add missile flyout cue to vector stalks (dots and crosses)

-TEWS/ICS
--Add some basic ICS Jammer functionality. Use ED's Viper as an example of basic Noise Jamming and also Self-Protection track breaking modes.
--Add Semi-Auto and Auto Chaff and Flare dispensing.
--Add Mission Specific CMD dispensing function.

-SOUNDS
--Add updated AB sounds

-FLIGHT MODEL and ENGINES
--Add correct Windmill Airstart without JFS
--Anything else critical here? 

-3D MODEL
--Add NVG on pilot models
--Add visible Chaff and Flare expenditure in buckets.

*****(almost everything above should come before what comes below, others may disagree)*****

-NEW WEAPONS
--AGM-65D/H/K/G Maverick. Model correct LANTIRN auto target handoff logic and HOTAS controls, ties in well with a corrected CDES mode. (Not sure if LITENING and SNIPER have this feature)
--WCMD, probably soonish.
--GBU-15 and AGM-130C. Bit of a complex rabbit hole. We all want it, but needs to be done well. 
--GBU-28, GBU-27. Would add little to game until PW3 logic is adapted for flight path & ballistics of GBU-28 AND we get valid targets for GBU-28 in DCS world.
--SDB. Someday.

--SIT page and Link 16 Functions.
---Again a rabbit hole. Someone else may fill in details but: PPLI's, AWACS and Flight&Donor targets, Markpoint sharing, JDAM/IAM LARs and cues. Etc.

--CTU's 
---Too far away to worry about detail at the moment but JHMCS, Aim-9X, SNIPER, Digital UFC''

Edited by AvroLanc
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good list. I mostly agree. 

IMO litening/sniper pod, mavericks, GBU-15/AGM-130 should be among the higher priorities simply because it gets a little old to just drop bombs. Having AGMs adds a little spice to the gameplay. And the Lantirn really sucks. Almost impossible to identify anything because of the low res.
But except those things I think they should flesh out the basics that you have listed before going to the more advanced things like datalink,jhmcs and such.

• Like 1

If any new weapons are to be added, going with the 'variety' argument,  I'd go with Maverick first. As the only Forward Firing AG weapon, they'd offer some different gameplay options and they are relatively simple. Otherwise, no, I think working on GBU-15/AGM-130 and Sniper etc right now would be a massive mistake. They'd take up a huge amount of dev time and the long term foundation of the module would suffer. 

18 hours ago, AvroLanc said:

If any new weapons are to be added, going with the 'variety' argument,  I'd go with Maverick first. As the only Forward Firing AG weapon, they'd offer some different gameplay options and they are relatively simple. Otherwise, no, I think working on GBU-15/AGM-130 and Sniper etc right now would be a massive mistake. They'd take up a huge amount of dev time and the long term foundation of the module would suffer. 

I'm fairly sure there was a list of things due in the short to medium term doing the rounds in another thread and the -130 was towards the top of that list.

I can't recall where the Maverick was in terms of priority but I assume it is fairly low down considering it was rarely even trained with IRL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 6:34 PM, AvroLanc said:

I posted the following list in the official discord as a way to inform and guide discussion on the future of the F-15E and the features that still need to be done. Hopefully RB are aware of all.

''F-15E Unofficial Roadmap

In an attempt to be constructive I suggest that we as a user base put together a list of new features and improvements that we might reasonably like to see in the module. RB's current 'roadmap' is very barebones and contains only big headline features in a very broad and generalised sense. Something more detailed is required, similar to what ED have done with Hornet, Viper, Apache etc. There was some talk of starting this yesterday, and I'll get the ball rolling.

Note, this is not intended as a entitled or 'demanding' wish list, but as a collection of features still to be expected. No one is expecting a 1:1 recreation of the SE, this is a list of additions and improvements we might reasonably expect for a high fidelity module in DCS,  especially when compared to it's competing modules. Note that almost all of the features below have very similar equivalents in modules such as the Hornet, Viper, Tomcat and RB's own Mirage.

Nor should this become a mere minor bug list, that can be a separate thing. 

-HUD A/G
--Enable TDC slewing of the TD diamond when IN CMD of the HUD
--Add a working AG Gun reticle with AGR and LAS ranging as options.
--Add the AG Reticle Range bar for AGR and LAS ranges when valid
--Add the Pull-Up Cue and the F,D and M pull-up cue conditions. (Frag, Dud or MRA setting)
--Add the Pattern Steering Line (PSL) command steering bar when a PSL has been designated on the AG radar. 
--Add the 25 mil small reticle display as an option, selectable on the HUD repeater page.
--Add pilot laser fire when IN CMD of Hud. (see below)

- HUD A/A
--Add/improve the Gunsight GDS and FNL calculations.
--Add the 'Degrees till break lock' readout above the waterline symbol when in expanded azimuth radar mode.
--Add IFF cues on STT or PDT TD box when valid
--Add the target locator line (This may be suite dependant?)

-HUD General
--Add NAVFLIR Snaplook and Look-in-to-Turn features. Logic for offsetting display in boresight is already there.....
--Add HUD Caged Velocity Vector.

-- Add HUD PROG page and HUD decluttering feature.

-TSD
--Add the range marks and distance from centreline marks
--Add the RBM radar search pattern footprint
--Add the AG radar cursor position
--Add the HRM patch map cue (footprint)
--Add the TGP IR cue (solid and broken, dot for track etc)
--Add ability to take CMD and cue the HRM or TPOD position and track state from the TSD.
--Enable the PP and Steerpoint 'look ahead' feature.
--Add the Ground Speed and Bank angle function for curved flight path turn radius prediction. Important for TFR.
--Add the PDT or STT AA target symbol.
--Add ability to display 'Avoidance Areas' (essentially threat rings) as defined in Mission Editor.

-LANTIRN TGT IR / TPOD
--Add dynamic Point Track box (symbology) for proper point tracking.
--Improve the designation logic. There should be no LOS 'jump' when designating.
--Improve/correct CDES behaviour. Track State boxed, no manual slew, etc.
--Enable digital laser range readout above 8.2 nm, should be up to approx 13.4nm.
--Enable manual level and gain control.
--Add AA modes. Simple slaved to STT or PDT would suffice for now.
--Add ability for pilot to fire TPOD laser for ranging when IN CMD of HUD (and not TPOD) and TPOD slaved to TD diamond.

-A/G and Nav Logic
--Fix MN and INS, non GPS functions. MN and INS are still too buggy and can't be trusted. Drift rate too high etc.
--Finish the AUTO HAT logic. Improve LASER AGR SYSG hierarchy and selection logic.
--Add MANUAL HAT. Add HRM, PASS and RALT as ranging options with correct conditions and usage cases. (Admittedly low priority).
--Add the WIND MODEL with corresponding MFD page for capture and entry.
--Add MANUAL Bombing mode. Both MAN FF and MAN RET mode should be added, along with the Reticle Depression entry on the AG DEL page. Other modules have this even if only 0.69% of users practice it.
--HUD ILS bars should be command steering bars and not just Localiser and Glideslope repeaters.

-UFC
--Add the missing Data page 2 functions:
---TOT, Time on Target function with corresponding HUD command velocity wiper.
---Fuel at next Steerpoint 
---Lookahead ETE/ETA and TOT/TOA functions
--Correct the logic and display of GPWS audio and add HUD GPWS pull up arrow.
--Zero Point Designation feature for the truly sadistic.
--Add Overfly and HUD position updating procedure.

-WEAPONS
--GBU-24 / Paveway 3 HUD displays and improvements. Model a correct PW3 LAR bracket display with ED's current MODE 1 (and sorta 2) flight model. Correct the TIMPACT time calculation for both AUTO and DIR.
--Add Desired Ground Range DGR entry for PW3.
--Improve MK20 Rockeye fuzing to have PRI and OPTION rather than TIME and HEIGHT. PRI is 1.2s and OPT 4s.
--Improve BLU-107 ballistics calculation.
--Smart Weapons page:
---Add the 'Un-Target' feature
---Add RPL QTY release feature
---Add EDIT FUZE once ED has completed new fuzing simulation.
---Add JSOW and WCMD burst height settings.

-RADAR
--Add FLOOD mode for SARH shots.
--Add visual launch mode for AMRAAM
--Add SBR mode for AIM-9.
--Add TWS Sort mode.

--Add missile flyout cue to vector stalks (dots and crosses)

-TEWS/ICS
--Add some basic ICS Jammer functionality. Use ED's Viper as an example of basic Noise Jamming and also Self-Protection track breaking modes.
--Add Semi-Auto and Auto Chaff and Flare dispensing.
--Add Mission Specific CMD dispensing function.

-SOUNDS
--Add updated AB sounds

-FLIGHT MODEL and ENGINES
--Add correct Windmill Airstart without JFS
--Anything else critical here? 

-3D MODEL
--Add NVG on pilot models
--Add visible Chaff and Flare expenditure in buckets.

*****(almost everything above should come before what comes below, others may disagree)*****

-NEW WEAPONS
--AGM-65D/H/K/G Maverick. Model correct LANTIRN auto target handoff logic and HOTAS controls, ties in well with a corrected CDES mode. (Not sure if LITENING and SNIPER have this feature)
--WCMD, probably soonish.
--GBU-15 and AGM-130C. Bit of a complex rabbit hole. We all want it, but needs to be done well. 
--GBU-28, GBU-27. Would add little to game until PW3 logic is adapted for flight path & ballistics of GBU-28 AND we get valid targets for GBU-28 in DCS world.
--SDB. Someday.

--SIT page and Link 16 Functions.
---Again a rabbit hole. Someone else may fill in details but: PPLI's, AWACS and Flight&Donor targets, Markpoint sharing, JDAM/IAM LARs and cues. Etc.

--CTU's 
---Too far away to worry about detail at the moment but JHMCS, Aim-9X, SNIPER, Digital UFC''

This is a great list, a lot of effort has gone into it.

I’d love to see the LITENING pod come sooner rather than later. I’ve given up on the F15E for now as the Lantirn is just not enjoyable enough (for me). Way too difficult to find targets, the ground stabilisation is poor, etc.

The question I’d actually like answered is - does anyone from RAZBAM actually read this forum? I see suggestions on their discord about a dedicated section for bug tracking which baffles me as there are so many bugs reported here and very little to no response other than the odd post by Rainmaker who I believe is a contributing SME and not a RAZBAM team member. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 7:36 PM, OldFlyer said:

does anyone from RAZBAM actually read this forum?

Yes, they do, and even respond to the posts but some have choosen not to mark their avatars with "3rd Party Developers" badge or RAZBAM avatar 🙂

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Weapons as the AGM-130, GBU-15, GBU-27, GBU-28, GBU-39 SBD I and others has all on the side of ED, as 3D models, phisics, balistic, features and capabilities. Meanwhile that weapons has no implemented, RAZBAM has none to do here.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

7 hours ago, draconus said:

Yes, they do, and even respond to the posts but some have choosen not to mark their avatars with "3rd Party Developers" badge or RAZBAM avatar 🙂

I might stand corrected. Rainmaker hasn’t posted in the bugs section since January, who else is there that responds?

There are so many bugs in the bugs section that just go unacknowledged (and subsequently not fixed) which obviously has the effect of leaving some of us wondering what the plan is to fix them, and when.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OldFlyer said:

Rainmaker hasn’t posted in the bugs section since January...

Not true. There's also Kercheiz. "Unacknowledged" is only your assumption because they don't tag them. Only thing you can do is to make sure you described the problem thouroughly, attached the log, screenshot and track.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria