WWII updates in the coming patch?

Just curious to hear if we can expect any fixes for stuff on the WWII side of dcs in the next update? Whatever the date its slated for, hopefully in the not so distant springtime future.

Things such undercarriage updates for the update on the mossie, the p47 repair bug, wep usage, multiple texture and 3d model issues on the p47, etc among the myriad of issues that have been around for a lot of the warbirds. If nothing to share, it would be great to hear what work has been done towards really any of the bug sections on the WWII modules overall.

Any news on the damage models, flight models et all on the AI aircraft? WWII asset pack?

Thanks, it always seems newsletters are pretty light on the warbirds from ED. I know there are a couple 3rd party props coming soon, but really no theater appropriate adversaries for them...some updates to the current WWII lineup would definitely gin up more enthusiasm, at least in my opinion, to know stuff is happening and maybe get peak at what is happening.

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think we’re all pretty desperate for updates to the WWII modules. Would be nice for ED to spare a modicum of dev resources every once in a while to fix some of the longstanding bugs and otherwise clean up some of the modules.

After SoW closed there was a tiny reaction and response that resulted in some modest fixes being rolled out, but that quickly came to a stop. It is an unbelievable shame that a community’s primary server has to shutter its doors in protest to get even a small response from the team reiterating its commitment to the era.

Do we have to lose even more frustrated players and server operators for ED to send some TLC the way of warbirds?

• Like 4

I'm limited in what I can say publicly, but the ED beta testers who are members of the Project Overlord team can and do raise problems and highlight bug fix candidates with ED.

It's an uphill journey because the vast majority of DCS is focused on modelling jet systems in great depth. Bear in mind that that makes up about 90% of the game, so naturally gets a proportionate amount of attention compared with WW2. If you have 9 jet modules or missiles demanding major bug fixes and 1 WW2 module that needs a relatively low priority tweak (e.g. P-47 repair smashing the gear - yes it drives us all mad but at least there is a workaround of defuelling and dearming before repair), it's not hard to work out which problems need to be fixed first.

Be in no doubt, DCS WW2 is a sideshow and that will not change. But we haven't been totally abandoned, despite the outward appearance of silence.

FTAOD, PO isn't going anywhere either. Dev time on that has slowed because there is only a handful of us and we all have real life jobs and families.

• Thanks 2

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

There are some guys doing great work on the Fringes of DCS in the Moddeling forums. Ship builders, AI modules etc , all on their own time and with Zero reward. Its a great pity DCS cannot find some way of getting these chaps to be included, closer to the Primary development teams. There really is a Wealth of tallent and skill thats being over looked.

• Like 1

Asus ROG MAXIMUS X Formula

Intel i7- 8700K 4.8ghz

Asus GTX 2080ti OC edition

64 Gb RAM at 3200mhz

Kraken X 72 cooler

Samsung CHG90 monitor at 144 htz

DCS on M.2 drive 500 Gb

1 hour ago, Rene Coulon said:

There are some guys doing great work on the Fringes of DCS in the Moddeling forums. Ship builders, AI modules etc , all on their own time and with Zero reward. Its a great pity DCS cannot find some way of getting these chaps to be included, closer to the Primary development teams. There really is a Wealth of tallent and skill thats being over looked.

ED has very clear about them on the russian forum, they dont go to add modding content. ED dont have time to convert and maintain Modding content.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Skewgear said:

I'm limited in what I can say publicly, but the ED beta testers who are members of the Project Overlord team can and do raise problems and highlight bug fix candidates with ED.

It's an uphill journey because the vast majority of DCS is focused on modelling jet systems in great depth. Bear in mind that that makes up about 90% of the game, so naturally gets a proportionate amount of attention compared with WW2. If you have 9 jet modules or missiles demanding major bug fixes and 1 WW2 module that needs a relatively low priority tweak (e.g. P-47 repair smashing the gear - yes it drives us all mad but at least there is a workaround of defuelling and dearming before repair), it's not hard to work out which problems need to be fixed first.

Be in no doubt, DCS WW2 is a sideshow and that will not change. But we haven't been totally abandoned, despite the outward appearance of silence.

FTAOD, PO isn't going anywhere either. Dev time on that has slowed because there is only a handful of us and we all have real life jobs and families.

I'd like to not get in the weeds about beta testers, multiplayer servers, and general losing hope in ED.  I was simply asking about the possibility of any WWII updates this spring update to address some of the current issues.

Since skewgear mentioned the P47 landing gear issue being low priority and being able to raise the issue with ED, it apparently can be fixed by one digit on one line of code in the Lua file that RUNEofORM mentioned in multiple P47 landing gear threads. I'm certainly far from being a game developer in my day job but it seems like the 'small team' that @NineLine has mentioned could have fixed long ago on the way to their lunch break. If there is a active WWII team, what would 9 missles or twenty jets have to do with an unrelated dedicated team that is tasked with WWII?

It would be nice not to have to perform a work around the average player isn't going to know about and also not have to mod files to break integrity check to play on Project Overlord server. It's a bit of a twist to say one module with one low priority problem vs dcs jets, for reference see any and all of the bug sections in the WWII modules. Heck the p47 alone has multiple long standing issues that need to be worked out. I bias towards mentioning it since I fly it the most. Universal things like working pitot heat would be nice to have so, high altitudes don't render airspeed indicators frozen on allied and axis warbirds, etc.

I'd just like to know if any changes are going to had for the WWII community in the next patch since we have unified versions or wait another cycle.

Edited by Cool-Hand
Spelling is hard
  • Like 6

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
6 hours ago, Skewgear said:

P-47 repair smashing the gear

This one is... just terrible... I can't sugarcoat this one at all. Currently, the new landing gear mechanics are added to the P-47 and I bumped the report stating this needs to be addressed at the very least with the release of that. I will try and keep on it for sure. Thanks. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

On 3/25/2024 at 10:22 AM, Skewgear said:

128012.jpg

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

If I had known that the FW-190D9, FW-190A8, Bf-109K, P-51D, Spitfire, Mosquito, P-47, I-16 are just a "sideshow" in DCS World, I certainly wouldn't have spent money on these modules.
I will not repeat my mistake for any WWII aircraft module that may be proposed in the future.

• Like 4

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

At some point when the Corsair and F6F are being offered for sale, it would be a relevant question for buyers if the WWII genre is going to be supported by ED or relegated to second class citizenship while still priced as a first class product.

Helos are also not modern jets, but receive a lot more attention than the WWII stuff.

One view might be, buy our $70 new planes to prove to us the WWII ecosystem is worth supporting. 

Another view might be, prove to me first you have intentions of supporting the WWII ecosystem before I buy another couple of $70 modules.

Perspective is everything. 😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, [HOUNDS] CptTrips said:

At some point when the Corsair and F6F are being offered for sale, it would be a relevant question for buyers if the WWII genre is going to be supported by ED or relegated to second class citizenship while still priced as a first class product.

Helos are also not modern jets, but receive a lot more attention than the WWII stuff.

One view might be, buy our $70 new planes to prove to us the WWII ecosystem is worth supporting. 

Another view might be, prove to me first you have intentions of supporting the WWII ecosystem before I buy another couple of $70 modules.

Perspective is everything. 😉

It's been done to death.

People say that asking players to buy $100 worth of stuff (aircraft, map and asset pack) to dip into ww2 DCS is too much and if you ask an IL2 player why they don't fly DCS WW2, you probably get two answers.

1 too expensive.

2. No real WW2 infrastructure.

ED will counter with they have to sell the asset pack. Because its too much work to give away for free/not feasible because ww2 is so small.

So then nothing changes DCS ww2 will stay small and irrelevant and its potential wasted. Because its too expensive for many new players to try, it doesn't have proper support or infrastructure.  And ED doesn't want/can't invest to fix this. And is seen as the unwanted step child.

Classic Catch-22. And now we're told the "big plans" for Pacific theatre will just be more of the same.

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Well that's kinda the reason I started this thread and  asked in the first place if we were getting any updates this next patch...I'm guessing sometime this spring there will be a patch since they merged OB and Stable. A monthly cycle for fixes and whatnot. The jury is still out on the the baseline question that I asked. I don't expect a list or anything just a yes or no if we are going to see any updates.

Without the dooming and glooming. I was just trying to decide where to spend my limited time for simming. Hey, if its a "sideshow" like Skewgear says then well, I can wait and buy the Hellcat or whatever comes next on sale... when the sideshow fills out more. It's not a big deal, just the silence on the WWII is a bit deafening and there are some serious issues with some of the modules that could use some care before pushing out the new toys IMHO. Not even to mention the asset pack. I just would hate it to be such a long cycle on these things since I love the WWII side of DCS, I spend 99% of my time on DCS with warbirds, but I have no say in what ED does.

Just an aside though, since IL2 was mentioned above, this would be the time I would think to flesh out the Western European stuff. IL2 has seemingly hit a wall with the current iteration and are developing a new game now which won't be ready for a long time. It would be easy to capture extra revenue, at least from a pure business marketing perspective, of bored Il2 players that are waiting for the new iteration. IL2 is fun gameplay wise on multiplayer but DCS is head and shoulders above it in systems,FM, graphics, etc. At least from the cheap seats, DCS is the only title in town with room to grow so to speak for the next year or two in WWII and could hopefully jump on that opportunity...if they chose to do so.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

15 minutes ago, Cool-Hand said:

Just an aside though, since IL2 was mentioned above, this would be the time I would think to flesh out the Western European stuff. IL2 has seemingly hit a wall with the current iteration and are developing a new game now which won't be ready for a long time. 

I suspect part of the decision making here is to fill in some PTO content so a potential ultra-graphics, high-fidelity competitor like something made by a former producer for another sim I can't mention doesn't have a completely unfilled niche to exploit and get a toe-hold in.  Strangle them in the crib.  Don't just leave them an easy-in-road to exploit.

I suspect ETO will have to wait until they feel safe on that front. 

Then I'd guess Battle of Britain.  Lastly, someday, maybe if all the rest goes well, they might back and continue to flesh out Oleg's Normandy and beyond plane-Set.

All conjecture of course. 😉

Meanwhile, the other sim you mentioned appears to be abandoning WWII and going off to Korea.  SMDH.

<S>

• Like 2

I agree with the previous commentator... If ED had thought a little with his head and not fulfilled orders from the desires of some players, they realized that the development of World 2 would bring at least 40-45% of the players from Il-2 into the game, which in fact began to fade. And it was even discussed at the Il-2 communities. And since there is no development of World 2, there are almost no players...and they won't earn money for the 2nd world War...

• Like 3

Considering the prices ED asks for their modules, having aircraft with immersion- and game-breaking bugs is simply unacceptable. It's close to false-advertising, one who downloads a game expects it to work, even the non-early access WWII aircraft are full of bugs. 

The fact that DCS is a highly complex simulation is not an excuse. Sure, DCS WWII is more detailed than the other popular WWII flight sim, but for prices as high as 60 euros I expect at the very least a working module. I understand that the deepness of the simulation is prone to bugs, but products that cannot be maintained properly should not be released. As long as the DCS store page does not mention all the game-breaking bugs per WWII aircraft module, DCS WWII is nothing short of becoming a cash-grab scam

And remember folks, when the next patch fixes a few bugs here and there, it introduces more bugs and breaks stuff elsewhere. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 9:22 AM, NineLine said:

This one is... just terrible... I can't sugarcoat this one at all. Currently, the new landing gear mechanics are added to the P-47 and I bumped the report stating this needs to be addressed at the very least with the release of that. I will try and keep on it for sure. Thanks. 

Me?

Have three WWII modules: P-51D/BF-109K/FW-190A.

Bein' an ole time, die hard, CFS2 pilot, stick-n-rudder flyin' is what makes the world go round.

So, yes, the ETO is big, and the PTO, w/ carrier Ops, will be even bigger.

As long as ED doesn't drop it for Basketball, the way M$ did?

My money is green - let the good times roll.

9e9.gif

Bowie

On 3/28/2024 at 5:02 PM, LeCuvier said:

If I had known that the FW-190D9, FW-190A8, Bf-109K, P-51D, Spitfire, Mosquito, P-47, I-16 are just a "sideshow" in DCS World, I certainly wouldn't have spent money on these modules.

Same here. I would’ve saved money by not buying all the peripherals to fly em too.

• Like 3