Are there any advantages to getting the steam version of DCS?

maverick90

I don't have the steam version and was wondering if there are any advantages to owning it on there instead? I have already bought and own several modules, and not sure if I had made the wrong choice of not having gone with the steam version instead.

Seems like the dcs modules on steam have more sales often if I'm not mistaken. Is it possible to convert a non-steam DCS install to a steam one and vice versa? And also if I buy modules from steam, will it work with my non-steam version of DCS?

I started with the Steam version because it had regional prices, that is no longer the case, so now I use the standalone version.

It's not possible to convert a standalone installation into steam version, or steam version into standalone.

You can transfer all modules you buy in Steam to standalone version (that's what I did), but you can't transfer standalone modules into Steam, as fas as I know.

And Steam does not have more frequent sales. Actually, the ED Store sales are usually longer. Only benefit I see with Steam, is that you keep it in Steam. I'm on Standalone, and I'm very happy. Can even use Skatezilla's excellent GUI Updater/Launcher app.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On top of all that, you can't trial modules on Steam, Steam also doesn't have pre-order atm. And Steam takes about 30% of the price, so buying on Steam you pay 30% less to ED.

Steam is well thought of platform that will keep DCS updated (which you can do on your own anyway, it takes a double click), but its a mere middle guy taking your money.

If you want to truly support ED, buy from ED shop.

• Like 3

It still has regional prices in my country (with exceptions, unfortunately), so I'm sticking with it, but it entirely depends on whether Steam gives you a good deal or not. If ED introduced regional pricing, I could switch, but not if they want me to pay as if I was earning EUR.

• Like 1

Steam is easy if you want one stop shopping for all your game purchases and care thereof. I can't remember why I started out with DCS on Steam but I did, and it works, and I'm still on it.

Also, you can try a product before it's out on free trial, and if you use it for less than two-hours and decide you don't like it, you can get a refund. I've done that three-times over the years I think, and ended up re-buying the modules later on and keeping them. I also like to load up my Steam wallet when work is solid. So no credit card action for modules in the down season, everything is pre-paid. 

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Faster download and less troublesome updates. Also stream refunds apply. So if you buy a module that just doesn't work or something. As long as you've used it less than 2 hours or had it for less than 2 weeks you can get a refund.

• Like 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

40 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Faster download and less troublesome updates. Also stream refunds apply. So if you buy a module that just doesn't work or something. As long as you've used it less than 2 hours or had it for less than 2 weeks you can get a refund.

Download speeds for stand alone are fine though lately. Don‘t know if that applies universally, but I really can’t complain.

I had that in the past when on patch day ED servers choked, but not for the last couple of patches.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

7 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Download speeds for stand alone are fine though lately. Don‘t know if that applies universally, but I really can’t complain.

I had that in the past when on patch day ED servers choked, but not for the last couple of patches.

I have no statistical evidence. But seems that there more corrupt and problem patching on stand alone than steam. 

And it is hard to judge if its the ED updater or just terrible American internet coverage when people complain about slow downloads. 

But steam is known for having the fastest downloads in gaming.

40gb patches takes me a few minutes. And even a full download of DCS(which for me now is 600gb)  takes like 30-40 minutes. 

And I also like having steam telling me how much DCS I've played total and last two weeks. I'm coming up to 1000 hours soon. But that has no real benefit, except I find it interesting.

One benefit that I really like about buying modules on Steam is that you can play them on both Steam and Standalone.

I don't know if that's true for all modules, but it works for every module that I've purchased.

I really, really wish you could do the reverse, and could purchase Standalone modules, then transfer them to Steam. I really hate the thought of being locked out of a module I bought if I decide (for a good reason or not) to use the different version of DCS. Though DCS is not the only game that suffers from this.

13 minutes ago, Kageseigi said:

One benefit that I really like about buying modules on Steam is that you can play them on both Steam and Standalone.

I don't know if that's true for all modules, but it works for every module that I've purchased.

I really, really wish you could do the reverse, and could purchase Standalone modules, then transfer them to Steam. I really hate the thought of being locked out of a module I bought if I decide (for a good reason or not) to use the different version of DCS. Though DCS is not the only game that suffers from this.

Not sure if any use to you but you can add none steam game into steam.

On 4/22/2024 at 10:21 AM, diego999 said:

It's not possible to convert a standalone installation into steam version, or steam version into standalone.

Are you sure about that?

Yes - it's not possible to go from stand-alone to Steam, but I was under the impression you could go from Steam to Stand alone. Is that no longer an option?

11 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

While that is true - with ED most modules you can get a 2 week trial (resets every 6 months too). For me, having 2 weeks to try out a module gives me far more time to evaluate than less than 2 hours. 

10 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

I have no statistical evidence. But seems that there more corrupt and problem patching on stand alone than steam. 

I have had the same understanding too (but don't have any statistical evidence, just the amount of steam players that have asked me for help for repairs personally, vs those with stand-alone installs has given me the impression that steam can be more troublesome).

The only real benefit I see of steam is that I would be protected by your own countries laws. (So here in Australia, steam buyers might have a legal 'backup' to be able to get a refund through steam for the F-15 under our consumer laws if the F-15 falls flat, but with ED their not in our jurisdiction, so we're more at the mercy of ED. However the last time I checked, steams currency conversions were significant and buying direct through ED gave me a much better currency conversion than Steam. Steam also logs the hours played (man - I wish I had a real logbook of multi-player stats). 

So that untested protection through steam comes at the cost of not being able to have a 2 week trial (compared to a 2hr game play refund through steam), less access to sales, more expensive currency conversion, and no ED miles/credits towards future purchases, plus (from my own personal experience with others) what appears to be more difficult trouble-shooting than a standalone install. 

With the number of modules I've purchased (more than a few) - I've already calculated that I've saved more through ED miles and currency conversions buying direct that I can afford to lose a module and still be in front having purchased through ED Directly. Of course, depending on your country of origin, currency conversion rates on ED's store vs Steams, and how many modules you buy - YMMV, so it's best to double-check these things for yourself.

Oh - there is one other reason NOT to purchase through steam. Steam were great game developers. Half Life. Half Life 2. HL2 Ep 1. HL2 Ep2. Then they found out they could make a tonne of money through their distribution platform and never made HL3. That in itself is a reason NOT to support steam IMO. I've been waiting 2 decades to see how that story continues - and I'm still waiting!!!!! 😉

5 hours ago, freehand said:

I believe the talk is about 'licensing' - and transferring licensing from one platform to another. You can add non-steam games into steam, but only as a launch - not as being fully maintained as a steam based distributed install.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I think purchasing on Steam is safer, the refund process is convenient, and updates and downloads are faster.

Of course, the DLC of the steam version can also be transferred to the ED version through authorization.Even if buying on steam will be more expensive.

There is an even bigger advantage. For example, in the worst-case scenario where a game developer goes bankrupt, you can still download the final version of the game along with the DLC you purchased on steam.

They will not disappear from your steam account,you can download it anytime and anywhereand will work normally single player games

Edited by Goetsch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PawlaczGMD said:

Only real reason to do Steam is if you're afraid ED will go bust, and standalone will no longer work/authenticate. 

If that happens, the steam version will also no longer work as you still have to log on with your ED account from within DCS to authenticate.

Personally, I still use the steam version. The benefits I see are faster downloads, ease of payment (I try to keep spreading around my credit card information to a minimum) and I really like the start menu where I can easily switch between VR and non-VR versions. 

• Like 2

I prefer steam because I got rid of all the other installers that littered my hard drive (I'm kind of lazy that way) and polluted my experience. Since I'm an avid SteamVR user, I need Steam anyway, so this was a natural. Also, with Steam comes ease of mind - I'm somewhat security sensitive, and games downloaded from Steam seem to have the (illusion?) of greater security/authority. I'd rather load and run a game from Steam than a rando server of unknown pedigree located in Russia. Same with giving my credit card number. Oh, yeah, as @Eugel mentioned, a GUI interface to VR is very convenient for someone who regularly switches between flat (mission development) and VR (testing and flying).

The downside is of course that ED receive less from my purchases, and that I can't participate in free trials nor ED's miles program. I've solved the no free trials problem by simply getting all the modules... 🙂 

Not necessarily true. It probably depends on your ISP. I get four times the DL speed on standalone compared to Steam and MSFS.

Only to the launcher. Won't be part of the Stream Library.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Not necessarily true. It probably depends on your ISP. I get four times the DL speed on standalone compared to Steam and MSFS. emoji6.png

Only to the launcher. Won't be part of the Stream Library.

Dosnt matter what connection you have for MSFS. Because it download and unpacks and install at the same time. Which slows it to a crawl. It downloads a tiny fraction, then unpacks it and install that before moving on. And the unpacking and installation seems unaffected by download speed or the speed of your SSD/M2. I have like 20 hours in MSFS and like 12 of those are just download/install time. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Not true at all.

G = Giga, g = grams, B = bytes, b = bits. How heavy are your downloads you said? 😉 

3 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

With the number of modules I've purchased (more than a few) - I've already calculated that I've saved more through ED miles and currency conversions buying direct that I can afford to lose a module and still be in front having purchased through ED Directly.

Same here. 

3 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Oh - there is one other reason NOT to purchase through steam. Steam were great game developers. Half Life. Half Life 2. HL2 Ep 1. HL2 Ep2. Then they found out they could make a tonne of money through their distribution platform and never made HL3. That in itself is a reason NOT to support steam IMO.

Best reason EVER! 😄 

3 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I have like 20 hours in MSFS and like 12 of those are just download/install time. 

Same! 😄 But my DL speed does vary, and I do monitor it by other means though. 

• Like 1

I decided to go with stand alone instead of Steam. I was new and didn't understand Steam. Now I have the Quest 3 and I have been wanting to try the mixed reality with my cockpit set up. However, I have not been able to find a way to do that with stand alone. Every video I find talks about going through Steam.

10 hours ago, sagrzmnky said:

I decided to go with stand alone instead of Steam. I was new and didn't understand Steam. Now I have the Quest 3 and I have been wanting to try the mixed reality with my cockpit set up. However, I have not been able to find a way to do that with stand alone. Every video I find talks about going through Steam.

DCS is now open xr default.

I don't have Q3 or stand alone.

But i would think it's as easy as starting your Q3 and have it connected to your PC(wired or wireless)

Then go into DCS. go into the settings and go to VR and simply check the box that says run in vr or something. Save and DCS should restart in VR mode.

20 hours ago, sagrzmnky said:

You need two things beforehand:

- DCS's "Enable Virtual Reality Headset" option checked.

- In the Meta Desktop App - Settings - General - Open XR Runtime - set Meta Quest Link as the active OpenXR Runtime

Then power up your Quest 3, connect it to your PC via cable or airlink and start DCS. That is all.

If your headset is powered up and connected, DCS will start in VR mode. Otherwise it will start in 2D mode.

Edited by diego999
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 5:39 PM, Gunfreak said:

And it is hard to judge if its the ED updater or just terrible American internet coverage when people complain about slow downloads. 

But steam is known for having the fastest downloads in gaming.

12 years using DCS and I had zero patching corruption issues with the stand alone updater. Storage ranging from HDDs to SSDs.

On Steam in other hand, a lot of patching corruption couple of years back caused by their code. It got better.

Download speeds is slightly better on Standalone nowadays. Steam being the best one in that was 6 years back.

On 4/23/2024 at 4:18 AM, PawlaczGMD said:

Only real reason to do Steam is if you're afraid ED will go bust, and standalone will no longer work/authenticate. 

Steam version uses the same authentication. If ED 'go bust' Steam version will go down together with the standalone.

The stand alone has a plus of unlimited offline mode, but careful about hardware changes. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/557/

Steam version have a compulsory authentication after a couple of days, I've read.

Yes, we don't own anything but a temporary license to use 'X' product.