Bomb Fuze Update

Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

Posted (edited)

According to the announced DCS: Bomb Fuze Update I'm just asking, which influence does this update have to the A/G Stores Programming in the SMS page of our F/A-18C?

Are we still able to change the Bomb Fuze Settings like HT for Canister Munitions for example or Laser Codes for GBUs or AGM-65Es during flight?

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-4E, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

• ED Team
  • Solution

Hi, 

As explained in the video, only JPF settings of the actual bomb fuze can be changed from the cockpit, but this is also true for WCMD. Every other fuze can be adjusted in the cockpit, but it does NOT change the actual fuze setting on the bomb, it only sets the fuze settings that the weapons computer is calculating for.

thank you 

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

27 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

As explained in the video, only JPF settings of the actual bomb fuze can be changed from the cockpit, but this is also true for WCMD.

Oh, I've missed that...

28 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Every other fuze can be adjusted in the cockpit, but it does NOT change the actual fuze setting on the bomb, it only sets the fuze settings that the weapons computer is calculating for.

Thanks for clarification. I think, I've got it.

• Like 1

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-4E, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

• ED Team
28 minutes ago, Razor18 said:

Can the CBUs still burst up properly only at 1500 feet? Any solution for that being really variable any time soon?

No, as stated in the video, you set the HOF from the selected list and not longer only at 1500 feet

thank you 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

What about gbu laser codes? So far it has been possible to change this code in-flight in the hornet(and warthog). Will this change now?(From what I've been told it should not be possible in any plane.)

Do you have a link for the video

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

As explained in the video, only JPF settings of the actual bomb fuze can be changed from the cockpit, but this is also true for WCMD. Every other fuze can be adjusted in the cockpit, but it does NOT change the actual fuze setting on the bomb, it only sets the fuze settings that the weapons computer is calculating for.

thank you 

• ED Team

Also explained in the video that you must do before wheels up through the ME or rearm/refuel window.

1 hour ago, jackdaw said:

Do you have a link for the video

• Thanks 1

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

On 5/21/2024 at 7:00 PM, BIGNEWY said:

In fact, we already have JPF page for the Hornet.

Screen_240521_082147.png

Does not seem to be available even with JPF installed. How do you access it?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

please include a short as possible track replay

thank you 

Same issue. Mission was created after the patch, and I tried changing the in-cockpit fuse settings (not that those should have any effect, like not being able to change the codes in the cockpit.)

My GBU-38s also would not go off in a different mission.

Track:

Fuses no worky.trk

Edited by Coyle

2 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

please include a short as possible track replay

thank you 

What about the JPF menu, do I need to include a track? It's not available despite having the JPF installed.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Coyle said:

Same issue. Mission was created after the patch, and I tried changing the in-cockpit fuse settings (not that those should have any effect, like not being able to change the codes in the cockpit.)

My GBU-38s also would not go off in a different mission.

Track:

Fuses no worky.trk 151.45 kB · 4 downloads

Hi Coyle, I noticed that one of the bombs in your track is equipped with a JPF. I found out that when you equip the same type of bomb with different types of fuzes, they all go dud if one of those fuzes is the FMU-152. Try changing all fuzes to anything but FMU-152. The bombs should explode.  

Edited by BarTzi
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Apologies all, it seems the JPF settings did not make it into this build, it will be in a future patch. Thank you 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Apologies all, it seems the JPF settings did not make it into this build, it will be in a future patch. Thank you 

More important than that, it seems like when two identical bombs are equipped with different types of cover or fuze- they DUD. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Moreover, I find the FMU-140 is not working as expected for the CBU-99. It opens the canister pretty soon, and is not honoring the  airburst altitude set in the ME. Find attached a couple of tracks showing the issue. As a result of this, the delivery is innacurate as you may see in the provided track files, probably because the computer accounts for a later burst.

cbu-99-fmu-140-300ft.trk cbu-99-fmu-140-3000ft.trk

Edited by miguelaco

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MeatServo said:

Rockeyes and CBU99's burst on launch too regardless of fuse type and setting.

Rockeyes don't have the FMU-140 as an option (should they?), they only have the MK 339 Mod 1, which seems to be a time based fuze. I didn't test this fuze thoroughly, but it seems they work ok and burst after the time set in the ME. However, this fuze is quite difficult to employ in practice without bombing tables and strict delivery patterns, since the dispersion of the bomblets depend on the bomb flight time.

Edited by miguelaco

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, miguelaco said:

Moreover, I find the FMU-140 is not working as expected for the CBU-99. It opens the canister pretty soon, and is not honoring the  airburst altitude set in the ME. Find attached a couple of tracks showing the issue. As a result of this, the delivery is innacurate as you may see in the provided track files, probably because the computer accounts for a later burst.

cbu-99-fmu-140-300ft.trk 851.29 kB · 0 downloads cbu-99-fmu-140-3000ft.trk 923.06 kB · 0 downloads

Here's what I discovered. Bombs of the same type and delivery method have to have all the same fuse settings otherwise they will dud.

The DSU33 needs a tail fuse with it, and what I gather from online sources it needs the FMU-139/152, its just a sensor and not a fuse. Pairing it with a tail plug will cause a dud.

The FMU-140 for CBU99's you need to select VT2 rather than VT1. VT1 causes them to burst right away regardless of what you set in HT. MK339 is working correctly.

Edited by MeatServo
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATPL - B737 - Class I Instructor Rating - Seaplane

I tried the different fuze options both in JDAM and MKseries, none of then seems to work, air burst does not explode in air, 15min delay fuze does not explode or explode in contact (0s), so this is not working like it should right? 

On 5/23/2024 at 3:33 AM, MeatServo said:

The FMU-140 for CBU99's you need to select VT2 rather than VT1. VT1 causes them to burst right away regardless of what you set in HT. MK339 is working correctly.

Since its impossible to add a burst height option for the VT2 setting with the MFD, the bombing computer is not told what the release HT is. This leads to bombs overshooting the target by miles.

I suspect FMU-140 fuze settings were meant to be:

VT1:
-user set height of burst
-HT option to tell the computer what is the height of burst

VT2:
-instant burst
-no need for HT option as the canister releases immediately

But they got mixed up in the code?

The bombing accuracy is also very bad especially with lofting, but I cannot really make a bug report on that without the issue above fixed first.

On 5/24/2024 at 4:15 PM, Rissala said:

Since its impossible to add a burst height option for the VT2 setting with the MFD, the bombing computer is not told what the release HT is. This leads to bombs overshooting the target by miles.

I suspect FMU-140 fuze settings were meant to be:

VT1:
-user set height of burst
-HT option to tell the computer what is the height of burst

VT2:
-instant burst
-no need for HT option as the canister releases immediately

But they got mixed up in the code?

The bombing accuracy is also very bad especially with lofting, but I cannot really make a bug report on that without the issue above fixed first.

Seems like correct assessment. 

• Like 1