Leading Edge Training

JimMack

• ED Team

In the downloads section of the site there is a new video: Leading Edge Training.wmv.

This explains the "why" of start up procedures. Attached to this message is the checklist used.

Below is a message from the creator:-

"Ladies and gentlemen,

My name is Fabio Miguez, and in January 2009 I started to develop a video training series for DCS: Black Shark. Some events in my life have not allowed me to continue this series yet, but I have full expectations of doing so in the future. While discussing this with the great guys at Eagle Dynamics, they asked me if I could post this sample lesson on their website to make it available for free to the community, and I agreed.

The idea for this series is that it would cost around $50, and it would include probably two or three DVDs with video lessons of just about everything related to flying the Black Shark in varied combat missions. It would also come with a printed checklist (a partial version of which is made available with this video) and an Instrument Panel Poster. As I mentioned above, I have not had the time to complete this series, but am looking for feedback on this sample lesson, which is a full startup, and feedback on if anyone would actually be interested in such a product.

Please keep in mind that the quality of this video (both the video itself and the audio) is lower than the final product, due to compression to minimize file size. The final, DVD-quality product, would be available in both standard and high definition formats.

You can contact me at fabiomiguez@gmail.com if you wish. Thank you for your time!"

Ka-50 Checklist - NP.pdf

• Like 1

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jim.

As a quick note, I did not have any time to add more graphics to this lesson, which would be done in the final product. The idea is to use good, clear graphics every once in a while to emphasize whatever it is the lesson is covering at that moment. That would be in the shape of schematics, diagrams, or even 3D animations.

So the idea is not to simply have a 1-hour video recording of the cockpit to show you how to do something, it is to blend that with other graphics.

I hope you enjoy it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following updates were posted by me later on in this thread (starting on page 5), but I am copying their content here for ease of understanding the current state of affairs. Thanks for the idea Zard!

UPDATE 1 - July 19th 2009

OK gents, here we go.

Based on the phenomenal feedback, this is a go!!!! Now it is down to how we shall make this happen. After thinking about different options, and taking what everyone said in consideration, here's how it will work.

Instead of creating the whole series at once and putting it into a DVD, which would take 6 months or more, I have decided to break it apart into small bites, probably varying from 30 minutes to 1h30m individual videos. These videos will be available online, so no one has to wait for a DVD to ship and arrive. They would also be organized under certain categories. Each bold section will be one or more videos. The following list is not final, but here's how they might look:

• Helicopter Flying
  • Intro to Helicopters

• Helicopter Aerodynamics

• Helicopter Flight Controls

• Helicopter Performance

• Basic Flight Maneuvers

• Advanced Flight Maneuvers

• Navigation

• Emergencies and Abnormals

• Black Shark Systems
  • Electrical

• Hydraulic

• Avionics (ABRIS, Basic Flight Instruments, EKRAN, VHF Radios, PVI-800)

• Defense

• Engine and APU

• Ice and Rain Protection

• Flight Controls (including trimming)

• Black Shark Weapons Systems
  • PUI-800 Weapons Status and Control Panel

• Laser Warning Receiver

• Shkval

• Vikhr ATGM

• Rockets

• Bombs

• Cannon

• Helmet Mounted Sight (HMS)

• Data Link

• Night Vision Goggles

• Black Shark Combat Tactics
  • Planning the Mission

• Ingress to Attack Zone

• Target Recognition

• Coordinating Attack with Wingmen

• Weapons Choice

• Evading the Enemy

• Air To Air

So you'd go to the website, create an account, purchase the videos you want to watch, and they are permanently available in your account. At a later date, you can buy more videos, and they'd be added to your online video library.

This has several advantages, to name a few:

• Smaller training videos are easier to digest
  • No waiting for me to complete the whole series. As I finish the videos, I will publish them on the website
  • You can purchase just the ones that interest you

There would be discounts for people buying most or all of the videos, so if for example there would be 12 videos available and you purchase 10, the last two would be available to you for free. That is just an example, I have not yet finalized how many videos there will be and how the discounts will work. The final price for the whole series should work out to be around $50. Each video's price will depend on how many videos there will be, which will be finalized before starting the series. Once the series is complete, for those that purchased it all, you could request a DVD set with all videos included, which should work out to be between $5 and $10 for discs, case, and shipping.

I am open to suggestions, please let me know what you think. I may have forgotten one or two things in the list of training modules, but it is supposed to be all-inclusive, so if you don't see something you'd like, please indicate it and I'll confirm it will be included.

I am looking forward to creating an amazing training series for all!

UPDATE 2 - July 28th 2009

I am buying a new computer to be able to get all recordings done in high resolution and at great frame rates. The computer I used to make the start-up video does OK when recording in those conditions, i.e. on the ground, no combat, etc., but it drops in FPS rapidly when things get busy. The new rig should be here by the end of August. Until then, lots of planning and script writing, as well as refining and adding to the list of covered modules.

A further evolution of the online videos is that they will each be available in low and high resolution, to cater to all kinds of internet speeds customers will have. Same for the downloaded videos, although in that case the high resolution version should be even higher than what the website will be able to do, so I'll probably have a high, medium, and low resolution versions. In other words, the downloadable high resolution will probably be available at the native resolution I recorded it in, then the downloadable medium resolution will be the same as the website high resolution, and the downloadable low resolution will be the same as the website low resolution. Just thoughts, but it's sounding like a decent strategy.

UPDATE 3 - September 17th 2009

All of the equipment I will use for recoding has arrived, check it out here.

UPDATE 4 - October 1st 2009

My new computer was damaged in shipping, so it's on its way back to CyberPower right now. One of the videos I'm creating will be target recognition, so I bought this, among others. Should be fun!

UPDATE 5 - October 5th 2009

My LLC certificate has arrived, and the computer should be shipping back tomorrow! For more info, click here.

UPDATE 6 - October 11th 2009

The computer has arrived! It got here Friday, October 9th, so I spent yesterday and today setting it up and doing initial testing. It has met my expectations! I've been doing a lot of flying and recording to test things out, and it is doing great! After these tests I can finally start to record the first video, which is a surprise for now ;). Stay tuned, we're almost there!

Edited by miguez
Update 6
  • Like 3

This is a great idea, I've bought a product like this for a flight simulator addon and I am very pleased with it. I could fly the plane in question, but after the dvd (containing several hours of footage) I can't just fly it, I understand each system of it.

Depending on how you do this. It will help both "advanced" players to understand the helicopter a bit more. And also really help starer pilots come along very quickly in an easy and understandable way.

At my current economical state, I could not afford the product but I would however be interested in such a product.

/Nasder, "I came, I saw, I got shot down."

Very, very well done, thanks a lot for this video. I really look forward to the next one :) When do you think this will be available?

Thanks for the comments! I am not committed to making this training product just yet. The feedback I get in this forum will be a good indication of feasibility:). Unfortunately, I don't believe there will be another video released outside of the product itself, if I move forward with it. So, let's see how many people would like something like this :).

Very well done! !S!

This video was interesting to watch and your explanations and added details made it a satisfying learning experience. I would definitely consider a training set of DVD's as a purchase add on for BS.

I have to believe that this first lesson took a great deal of time and effort to put together. Do you have the time to put together a complete tutorial set of videos? I surely hope so. :thumbup:

At any rate, you have a positive vote from me ... i learned something from this lesson (and enjoyed learning it, too!). :smartass:

Thank you for your effort!

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Yeah i checked out the first video, can say im interested in it like Nasdar says in his post above it would be great to learn all the systems!

Thanks for posting and hope you follow this through :thumbup:

Edited by born2thrill

It took a look at the video and it is extremely well done. :thumbup: I would pay money for additional videos but am unsure of the $50 price just yet. :unsure:I would have to see what other videos would be included in the DVD package.

I'm interested in instructional videos focussing on the following:

(1) Proper use of Helmet mounted site system.

(2) How to conduct proper rocket attacks.

(3) In depth use of the Abris system.

(4) Basic flying skills in moving helicopter from point A to point B which would include tight turns, stopping, pointing nose where you want nose to point.

(5) Proper utilization of bomb runs.

Again, well made video and worth paying for more.

I had a look at the video. Excellent work. Our squad (159th) has now been operating the Ka50 for six months, but I learned a great deal about the tests that should be done before flight. :thumbup:

I think that you're on to a winner here. I think that good quality info and presentation should be rewarded. Sometimes we can take for granted the time and effort that the community puts into sims. I would consider paying for a quality product. So more power to you. :pilotfly:

Looks very nice.

I think an error slipped into it at 9min24sec : the "Left Forward panel caution lamps" aren't located above and to the right of the vertical velocity indicator, not the altimeter.

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

The video is great. The price not so.

This kind of efforts are made all over the net by fans for free, maybe not with this high quality end product like yours, but i appreciate more the " free " work only for love and passion to a simulator like this.

I wish you all kind of luck in your investiment, the product is a top in his class and many would pay for it. Me no.

Thanks for sharing the first one.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

The video is great. The price not so.

This kind of efforts are made all over the net by fans for free, maybe not with this high quality end product like yours, but i appreciate more the " free " work only for love and passion to a simulator like this.

I wish you all kind of luck in your investiment, the product is a top in his class and many would pay for it. Me no.

Thanks for sharing the first one.

I tend to agree here. I cant see myself paying a full game price for these training videos. I think a hi res DL version in divx format would better suit the community. DVD converion is easily done at home for those who want it.

Great effort though.

Thanks to this video trainning, I can now start the Ka-50 from cold state. Before, I could randomly do it, now I actually know what I'm doing and why!

I'm looking forward to more free cours... if there will be any.

Looks very nice.

I think an error slipped into it at 9min24sec : the "Left Forward panel caution lamps" aren't located above and to the right of the vertical velocity indicator, not the altimeter.

Hi bengo,

Absolutely, ED noticed that right away (nice catch Jim!), and we agreed it was too minor to recompile the video. Jim actually posted a heads up on that at the simHQ forum, where we also posted about this training.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments, much appreciated! Still monitoring for interest.

You mention in the video that the APU does not require the fuel boost pumps to be on, is that correct? I am not able to start the APU without the fuel pumps on.

Hi Royale,

This is an interesting subject. I am able to start the APU without the fuel pumps on, but not always. I am still researching to find the answer.

Thanks for the video miguez. I learnt a lot about the start up and have it playing on the 2nd monitor while going through the steps on the primary 24" monitor. Been very helpful.

Well done, and yes, I'd buy the DVD's (but having subscribed downloadable movie files would be better and cheaper for you, driving down cost and opening the market more???)

Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

161 Squadron

Australia's DCS Community

Very nice and very informative. I will buy it!!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.