Anyone else getting a little bit bored with BS?

Warbird_242

Before everyone hates me :D let me explain

I love DCS and think it is a brilliant game, probably the best ever, but I find that without any more campaigns and missions the game gets a little bit boring. There's only so many T-72s you can aimlessly blow up. I loved the deployment campaign, and the GOW is good but has no real story - just tasking. Anyone else agree with me?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to solve that problem you have is playing new custom missions/campaigns or jump in multiplayer. The most interesting gameplay would be a combination of air to air and air to ground fighting in various dynamic campaigns backed with solid multiplayer but that`s coming with DCS: "Multi-role fighter" if and whenever that will be released.

Edited by topol-m

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So you are a little war weary, eh? I know the feeling. Step away from things for a while. Go play something else. Heck, turn the computer off and go do something real instead of doing something realisticly rendered... know what I mean?

We kill the joy of our gaming experiences by over playing them. Even real warriors of the sky spend alot of time doing other things besides flying.

......I love DCS and think it is a brilliant game....

That's where we Differ :)

Me - I couldn't care less about Blowing Stuff Up........I mean where's the Realism in that? It's so far removed from being Real that it Beggars Belief! As sure as God made Little Green Apples - You WILL NOT and Never Will have Trigger-Happy Kamov Pilots floating about Wasting Abrams MBT's, Clubbing Ships, Laying Waste to SAM's, Convoys etc etc etc - Not gonna Happen ;)

For me it's just the Experience of Flight, knowing that it's as close as I'm ever gonna get in experiencing the Real Thing. Getting to know the Flight Characteristics intimately and Flying her like a Forbidden Mistress.......Always Pushing the Envelope! Glad to Say I'm not Yet Bored :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

when FC 2 will come out there'll very likely be new missions/campaigns around believe me :smilewink: . i was a bit bored too like you because i love flying the SU-25 but i couldn't find new missions/campaigns that's why i made my site . people may think i've made my site to create new missions for the community but in fact i made that site mainly for me and by creating so much missions/campaigns i have the feeling i always play a new mission sourire1.gif . with the incoming new SU-25 your servitor will very likely be prolific again rire2.gif

I got bored after a while, just as you are now. I even got aquainted with the mission editor and set up a bunch of scenarios for myself, like landing on a carrier, at night, in the rain, with wind and bad guys in boats shooting, but after a while it got dull. So, I turned my attention over to a heavily modded Falcon 4.0, an F-16 sim from half a dozen years ago. More realistic than Lock On, but it isn't as true-to-life as DCS.

Step away from things for a while. Go play something else. Heck, turn the computer off and go do something real instead of doing something realisticly rendered... know what I mean?

That's a bit of an assumption isn't it?

I know you didn't mean any offense but I HATE the stereotype of some antisocial recluse who spends their time in their own virtual world. Obviously you don't think of yourself as one so what gives you the right to make me out as one? please think before you speak

i've read lot of good things about Falcon 4.0 level of realism but the graphics are ugly compared to Lock on/DCS

Graphic is ugly it's true, but rest of game gives you 100x more than LO. ;]

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Eventually any flight sim will become boring after a while. The best cure for this is to find a gang of people with common interests (read virtual squadron) and fly online with them. That's something that keeps my interest for LO for few years already and note- I've never flown LO single player except for some tests.

On the other hand - can you say with your hand on your heart that you've been into every single corner of BS's single player? Have you flown in a mission where you have to plot your route on the ABRIS yourself? Or navigate in the night or fog with the ABRIS down? How do you perform in nght missions, even in 1.0.1 with the candle rockets available? etc...

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I agree, I'm a little bored, too. I love flying helos, but would prefer a little variety. Maybe some SAR, or a hot LZ marked with smoke and tracers from ground fire coming at you while door gunners open up and hitting the ground so hard you slide on your skids!!! Then over torq'in it to haul ass out while bullets crash through the canopy!! (I think I'm having flashbacks)

ACPI x86 based PC, Windows 7 64Bit, AMD Phenom IIX4 965 3.4GHZ, NVIDIA GTX 560, 8 GB RAM, 1 32" primary monitor, Track IR, Saitek pedals, custom cyclic with CH Pro base, custom collective, both using BUO836X cards

If you get bored, make it more interesting by setting up missions that really demand more. E.g. abandon environments present on modern battlefields and go for missions with WW3 settings, by adding enemy fighters on CAP- or CAS-missions over the battlefield, utilizing more realistic compositions of enemy AAA and SAMs and at higher AI-levels. Also using triggers and more complex navigations can make flying much more interesting than the usual fly-there-and-shoot-em-up-mission.

IMHO communication with others is most important, though.

I got to admit, that I started playing FalconAF again, myself, though. TMs MFDs really revived that simulation for me.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I agree the shooting became a bit repetative as it's pretty much the same drill, engage at as great a distance as possible and from a hover. As long as you maintain SA you survive to fight another day.

For me the challange of BS has always been the flying so that keeps it fresh for me. When I need a break though I'll switch back to LO-FC, love the mudders.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

If you get bored, make it more interesting by setting up missions that really demand more. E.g. abandon environments present on modern battlefields and go for missions with WW3 settings, by adding enemy fighters on CAP- or CAS-missions over the battlefield, utilizing more realistic compositions of enemy AAA and SAMs and at higher AI-levels. Also using triggers and more complex navigations can make flying much more interesting than the usual fly-there-and-shoot-em-up-mission.

IMHO communication with others is most important, though.

I got to admit, that I started playing FalconAF again, myself, though. TMs MFDs really revived that simulation for me.

I know what you mean but my problem is that a 20 minute mission like that would take a good hour to set up, and I'd prefer to have a bit more playing.

BTW I love Falcon 4! Brilliant game!

I think the boredom with DCS:Black Shark comes from the lack of world fidelity. Sure, the Ka-50 itself is a masterpiece of simulation but outside of the aircraft the world is pretty bland.

• Wingman AI is weak
  • Interaction with friendly forces outside of your own Ka-50 4-ship impossible
  • Navigation and communications oversimplified
  • Pre-flight environment non-existent
  • Enemy SAM AI is weak
  • Flares don't degrade SAMs pre-launch
  • Dynamic campaign missions soulless
  • Individually-crafted missions few in number
  • Airframes feel like throwaway Xerox copies
  • Trigger-based missions are tissue-thin

In Falcon AF there was a war going on and there was everything there in front of you from tankers to bombers fighters to helicopters. When you were tasked with blowing up a bridge or providing FAC-assisted CAS is meant something.

In DCS it always feels the same, pre-packaged and independent. All you get is some non-military speak poor English translation briefing text block which is often misleading or outright wrong. It says take off time is 08:30:00 and starts you at 08:30:01 with a cold aircraft... BAM instant fail.

The Ka-50 is a very well-tailored tuxedo attending a party in the back room at Walmart. All dressed up and no where to go.

• Like 1

Sure, the Ka-50 itself is a masterpiece of simulation but outside of the aircraft the world is pretty bland.

This is exactly what ruins the game for me. Black Shark is a great helicopter simulator but the game world and combat in general is pretty awful.

In my opinion, ED needs to ditch their engine entirely. It feels like they tacked on an amazing and beautifully done Helicopter onto an extremely antiquated engine. The engine is the only thing holding them back from having THE best flight simulator around.

Sadly I don't think we'll see an engine rewrite in the near future and I'm sure that every module release will suffer the same fate; The new aircraft will be incredible but the only place we'll be able to fly them at is a static Black Sea region on listen servers with brain-dead AI and phantom trees. Don't get me wrong - I know that business and video game development is no walk in the park, but I think that the game engine, AI, and a dedicated server deserve way more attention right now than an Su-25 or A-10.

Please understand: I'm *not* trying to stir up shit. These just concerns from a long time ED customer and supporter.

Bored with this one a long time ago.

Want some realy cool set your hair on fire flying? Check out Thirdwires Strike Fighters 2 series. Holy cow, I cant believe what I've been missing out on all these years. And its just been updated for DX10 too.

Europe (cold war), Vietnam, and Israeli war campaigns are included. And when your in the middle of it, theres a whole lot of shit going on.

https://store.thirdwire.com/store.htm

Edited by RichardG

Want some realy cool set your hair on fire flying? Check out Thirdwires Strike Fighters 2 series. Holy cow, I cant believe what I've been missing out on all these years. And its just been updated for DX10 too.

While I do like Strike Fighters 2, it should be noted that it's pretty arcade and the whole thing with "updated for DX10" only means it now actually runs on Vista. The graphics are still way worse than DCS and with the exception of the aircraft models worse than vanilla LockOn.

Not to disparage it - ED is a bit of a niche developer on the entertainment market but these guys are properly indie. So what they've done with their budget is pretty awesome - but it's no eyecandy on the rest of the world. (Though mods may improve that.)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

That's a bit of an assumption isn't it?

I know you didn't mean any offense but I HATE the stereotype of some antisocial recluse who spends their time in their own virtual world. Obviously you don't think of yourself as one so what gives you the right to make me out as one? please think before you speak

Was not intended as an incrimination of lifestyle. How you choose to live youe life is not for me to decide. For all I know, you run 26 mile marathons between bi-weekly rugby matches and have 35 friends at the pub. Just a point of conversation that walking away from the PC can be refreshing. I have gone months without playing games and come back when I feel like it and things are a lot fresher. Things change, better patches, more content. Some times it's like a new game is waiting.

Edited by lawndartleo

i've been playing flight simulators for ages (since the 90s) and for me Lock on/DCS is one of the best ever . serious can you get better realism for a plane than we have in Lock on for the SU-25/T . all the ground targets i've seen so far were more something like a vulgar cube in Lock on you have highly detailled models with uber effects . for sure you don't have like in general in the commercial flight sims 20+ different planes to fly with but frankly i prefer to wait a bit more , pay a bit more and finally get a pearl like the SU-25 or the SU-25T model . obviously a fully clickable cockpit like BS one would be perfect but isn't it the turning point ED is taking with its highly realist modules

I too am a bit bored,FC2 will get the blood running again for a while...

The most fun ive had with this game (and im counting FC too)

is with my m8's flying homemade missions built up as mini campaigns in FC

(with the limitations of that me), starting at point A and working our way to the end some 8 hours later. . . .

(was tough to make trigger work based on time alone)

havent really got that same fealing in BS, even though the em is much better.

I guess i was expecting more from the me and the disappointment led me to not playing at all...

so now im waiting for fc2 and killing zombies in L4D 2 while i wait :(:cry:

It takes a fool to remain sane :huh: