TrackIR 5 much better than 4?

Hi All,

I use a TIR4 at the moment, from about 5 feet away (1.5 metres) from the TIR sensor as it sits on top of a 40" LCDTV. As much as I've adjusted the profile etc, it still gets jittery, like its not tracking my head reflector (i use the metal 3 point thing from the vector expansion, not the track clip).

I was just wondering whether anyone else had upgraded from a TIR4 to a TIR5 and had noticed any difference, OR, if someone else has a similar setup to me and has some advice on TIR profile setup when at a distance like 5 feet/1.5 metres?!

Thanks in advance

Brewber.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

I couldnt tell you about upgrading to TIR5, but getting rid of the reflector that comes with the TIR and upgrading to a TrackClip Pro has made a huge difference in response from the unit.

So I would try that first. Its cheaper and if your not getting the expected results you can always decide to get the TIR 5 and keep on using the clip with that. Win - Win in my book. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

I don't think many people who had a 4 upgraded to a 5, so its hard to find a user comparison. But, as Yskonyn said, if you don't have a TrackClip pro and are just using the Vector, absolutely get a Track Clip before upgrading to TIR5. The tracking is so much more precise than those reflectors.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

I went from 4 to 5 simply because my 4 broke down (my fault). Upgrade is not worth it unless you have the budget. Purchasing new, however, go for the 5 for sure.

DratsaB is right. If you think about it, with the vector, light has to go from the camera, to the reflector and back. With the Trackclip Pro light goes from the clip to the camera. Half the distance. If your issue is distance related, should help.

Make sure you look at the TIR software's view of what the camera sees. All problems with tracking can be problem solved with that view. Move your head in the motions that you would use in the sim and ensure 3 reflections are always displayed. If not, adjust accordingly.

Thanks for sharing that, but I don't really know how to translate most of those values to every usage benefits or limitations between the two units.

I guess the wider FOV of the 5 is a nice to have, but then again, I never had any problems with the 4 either, except when zooming in, but thats bound to happen with the 5 as well, cause the increased FOV only provides for more sidewards coverage as I see it, not up/down.

But I think I would go for the 5 as well if I would have to buy new or if my 4 would break down. Until then I am still more than happy with my 4.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Also Yskonyn, make sure there is not any possibility of a reflection behind you that shines back into the Trackir. (example: reflected sunlight off a picture frame...etc.)

The further your head is from the Trackir camera, the lower the detail/resolution that the camera can work with when trying to see changes in the 3 reflected dots, and their position changes.

Thanks, but here's no reflection behind me.

I think my TrackClip just goes out of view when I put my face towards the pc monitor to zoom in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll try the clip and see if that makes a difference. Fundamentally TIR I think is designed to be used 2.5 to 3 feet (0.75 to 1m) away...whereas I am a little further than that...so it loses "resolution" the further away I am. Thats my guess anyway.

I'll try the TIR clip and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again for the replies.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

487th Helicopter Attack Regiment, of the

VVS504 Red Hammers

I upgraded... i noticed that the tracking was a little bit smoother...

thats about it :P

From a TrackIR 4 to 5? Or from the metal reflective hat strips to a track clip pro?

I too am interested in performance gains as Im currently using a TrackIR 4 with the metal reflective strips.

I went from TIR 4 to TIR5 + Track Clip Pro. More precise head tracking, and much more stable.

If you weren't using the track clip pro before on the TIR 4, then your results can't completely be valid. However, from a technical specs view, the TIR 5 should be better.

I have TIR 4 with the LED clip (track pro clip) and still have quite a bit of jitter. My friend broke his TIR 4 and recently got a TIR 5. The 5 does seem to be somewhat smoother, but there was still noticeable jitter on the 5. With the right software settings though, I think you can get them both smoothed out enough. I think they finally released the 64 bit version? I have not tried that yet, hopefully it smooths things out too.

asus p7p55d deluxe | intel i5-750 @ stock | g.skill ripjaw 4gb | asus geforce gtx 470 @ stock | trackir 4 | thrustmaster hotas warthog | win7 home premium 64bit

• 2 months later...

It's designed to attach to a headset band. The way it's designed to lock together prevents you from clamping it to a brim if that's what you're thinking. Just use an old headset band.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

• 8 years later...

So if I have a 4 with IR clip is it worthwhile to get a 5?

My understanding is the the FOV is wider and it is much smoother and therefore more immersive.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I have both 4 and 5, 5 is a little better (I got my 5 for free) I would not be in a rush to buy one

Well I just order TIR5 so I will post the difference.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.