Using ED's copyrighted material

Sickdog

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd post here to maybe get someone's attention that could help me out since the "Contact Us" link is broken on the ED page.

I'm ready to submit an App I made for the iPhone (and if there's a positive response, I'll make an even better iPad version). The app originally was going to be a mission data card and a way to read briefings (which is not important as of the new patch when it comes out), but it evolved into a multi-purpose app. You can read about it here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=70164&page=10

But, I need to get permission from ED to use their material (reproduction of data from manuals and the encyclopedia section of the UI).

Any help from someone that has connections would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Here's a couple screen shots of what's involved:

attachment.php?attachmentid=51896&stc=1&d=1306569683

attachment.php?attachmentid=51895&stc=1&d=1306569683

attachment.php?attachmentid=51894&stc=1&d=1306569683

screen1.png.fc11db80c9edb5e7b1bfd98b30cf5ff7.png

screen2.png.cd4d8a5303d7347916f954b0484e1f65.png

screen3.png.793a42bca861b9071e5890691e6aaa21.png

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

That's awesome! Hope they approve, after all, it will help sell their product.

What is the name of your app?

Edited by Wartski

W7 x64, i7 965, Rampage II Extreme, GTX480, 6GB Corsair 1866 cl7

..is the app going to be pay or add supported? (looks awesome by the way)

Does it have to have ads if its free??

BTW.. I'll wait for the Android version

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hi Sickdog,

I'll post it on the testers forum to bring to attention of the producers...

..is the app going to be pay or add supported? (looks awesome by the way)

Well, after putting a lot of my time into it, I thought it'd be nice to get $.99 or something for it... But, between a lot of other people here volunteering their time to contribute to DCS in some fashion and to maybe grease this along, I think I'll just offer it for free. Unless ED has a problem with me giving away this info in the manual, jeez now I'm not sure which ED would prefer. Thanks for the help!

That's awesome! Hope they approve, after all, it will help sell their product.

What is the name of your app?

Thanks! Hmm, besides an icon, I haven't come up with a name yet. I save the hardest things for last!

Does it have to have ads if its free??

BTW.. I'll wait for the Android version

I don't think so. I believe it's an option, so if I offer it for free I won't be doing ads. Besides, there's not enough room on the iPhone as it is to get everything on it, Ads would mess me up!

Thats really neat. I'm always looking to use my iPhone and iPad2 with my various flight sims and this looks great !

Thank you!

Well, after putting a lot of my time into it, I thought it'd be nice to get $.99 or something for it... But, between a lot of other people here volunteering their time to contribute to DCS in some fashion and to maybe grease this along, I think I'll just offer it for free. Unless ED has a problem with me giving away this info in the manual, jeez now I'm not sure which ED would prefer. Thanks for the help!

Yeah fair enough, and if ED were to find a way to allow for it, I'd gladly pay 99c, I just worry (and it's just my worry, I've not heard or seen nor do I know anything of ED's policies or legal requirements)..I just worry that "selling" something which uses copyrited material might cross a barrier from a business legal perspective, where, even if they wanted to allow it they couldn't...unless they would enter into some sort of business arrangement.

... whereas, if it is free, it's possibly covered under the fair usage (?) or some such other implied legal category ..

but yeah, fingers crossed that something can be worked out with minimum fuss for all concerned :) .. I'd love to use the app

• ED Team

I think there are no problem.

We loyally concern to third parties works. They help to attract an community and benefit our projects.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

I don't even know what an iPhone does.

For a cellphone I use a small, fold-up Tracfone for emergencies. But I am a country hick still in the Dark Ages of electronics.

I would consider getting an iPhone just for this and similar usages.

I can't imagine there would be a problem with the app if it is free. The app would supply users with information they already have access to just in a much more accessible and useful format, and information they have already paid for the use of. And users who haven't bought the sim would have no use for it since it would be accessible through the app store. Saying that, I hope ED might be kind enough to allow you a small compensation for your time and effort by allowing you to charge. It would keep the app alive and give you motivation to continue to update it. It would certainly aid any dcs user in their flight regeime, as checklists, airfield maps, and mission data are essential for any serious pilot wanting to complete their mission.

I hope ED seriously considers this as it really would decrease pre mission preparation, and provide us with essential information that would typically be readily accessible in the cockpit. It will only aid their series to be more awesome.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't even know what an iPhone does.

For a cellphone I use a small, fold-up Tracfone for emergencies. But I am a country hick still in the Dark Ages of electronics.

I would consider getting an iPhone just for this and similar usages.

An iPod MP3 player will operate just the same Eric and they are considerably cheaper:)

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You could always do a little more work and produce an equivalent without the DCS material in it. As far as I can see (and I'm no Lawyer so could easily be wrong) your only stumbling block is reproducing the pictures from the encyclopedia.

I think you would be able to find all of the pictures of the DCS aircraft, vehicles etc on the web. As for the descriptions of what the aircraft/vehicles/missiles etc are capable of & A10c checklist items, I dont think ED can claim copyright on those.

(p.s. A small fee for your hard work is completely acceptable as I see it, remember apple won't let you put it up for nothing).

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Excellent, didn't realise that was an official green light. Nice one ED.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Wow This looks great, Now you have permission, Please keep us informed how it goes, Ill snap this up in a second. Well done for your hard work to bring another great item to the community.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Thanks everyone for the support and great comments!

Yes, I'm releasing this app for free on the iTunes store without ads. I'm chalking up the hard work to a learning experience since I'm a really novice programmer. Maybe I'll set up a donations site if anyone feels like the app is worth >$.99 to them.

This should work fine on iPod Touches, there's not functionality that requires iPhone features. The app is all done, minus a credits section, title, and icon. So I'll be uploading to Apple in the coming day(s).

And on another note, I used the Encyclopedia section last night to identify a target while in a mission, which was actually very useful!

Android, Android, Android, Android, Android, Android, Android, Android, Android, Android..

Me have no Apple products....

Excellent Sickdog and for ED to approve of this App.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hey Sickdog,

Nice to hear you desided to make it a free product.

I did with my Ipadpit and it feels great to contribute to the A10 community and hear how people like the product you make. That's what I did it for, not for the money (and a little because I wanted a working MFD on my Ipad myself :lol:)

Like the note before, start a Paypal donation account and people who like you product will support you!

I´m happy to donate for you ipad version !

Thanks everyone for the support and great comments!

Yes, I'm releasing this app for free on the iTunes store without ads. I'm chalking up the hard work to a learning experience since I'm a really novice programmer. Maybe I'll set up a donations site if anyone feels like the app is worth >$.99 to them.

This should work fine on iPod Touches, there's not functionality that requires iPhone features. The app is all done, minus a credits section, title, and icon. So I'll be uploading to Apple in the coming day(s).

And on another note, I used the Encyclopedia section last night to identify a target while in a mission, which was actually very useful!

www.Ipadpit.nl :pilotfly: