Attention all Server Admins - Please Read:

I, SnugglesTheBear hosts quite a few missions for S77th squad for the squad members and public people to come join in the server. I would be quite happy to help provide ideas and help with what ever testing that may need to be done to get the ball rolling.

Jesse.

Agree a lot with Tommy. Certainly I will be participating- but I must note that this is already taking on a tone that somehow locked servers are the problem.

ehhh- no.

For the 50 bazillionth time- the locked servers are almost always in fact open to the public provided you join their comms channel.

Those of you who want to use the "new guys can't learn if you lock it" whine to protest passworded access are going to likely remain disappointed. Not only does the comms requirement keep morons* away- but do you seriously expect anyone to train anyone via the chat function?

I hope that folks are not skipping the multiplayer experience because of this? If you are- you need to look inward and not latch on to a sorry excuse like this..

*morons defined as people who choose to cause trouble- not new guys trying to learn.

Edited by S77th-konkussion

I am running a small Clan/Squadron called CADelta (consisting of a few good simmers and real life pilots, that just love to fly)

and from time to time I am hosting an open server also called CADelta (everyone is most welcome to join that).

So it would be my pleasure to help out in any way or form I can, to establish a more solid Multiplayer "playground" when it comes to our main choice, namely the A-10c Warthog.

I would also like to use this opportunity, as a shout out to all A-10c newcomers/beginners and the likes that want a good base of learning and just want to have a few simmers to fly around with from time to time (we ourself are still learning, so lets get together and build our skills together :)).

If interested visit our Social Group CADelta and get involved. We also have a 24/7 TeamSpeak 3 server running.

Anyways what I got from this thread is the importance of naming the servers better.

I will for one name our server better the next time.

Usually I just used our Clan name, but extending that so it looks something like:

CADelta - Basic Flight Training

CADelta - Basic Weapons Training

CADelta - ILS Landing

would probably be allot better :thumbup:

One thing we are missing though is a good mission creator to join our ranks, so we actually can host some nifty missions, that being from basic flight training to advanced missions at night.

And my deepest thanks Panzertard for ServMan3, just started using that :)

/Krycek

A great example of the willing being completely blind.

Please.........................read the ATO post. This is what the 74th and the =STP= have been trying to do and to a certain degree, very successfully.

This whole thread is not about the provision of training, hell, most of us are only to happy to provide that, utilising the ATO system (proven) entitled 'DCS Newcomer Training'; note this title is not vfs specific. The ATO post is a sticky in the MP forum to maximise exposure to the new pilots.

No............what we DONT want to do is co-ordinate further, Newcomer training to the DCS titles. To be frank I have come accross wannabe A-10-C pilots who pretty much want you to put them in the seat and walkthru every last aspect of a manual start, Taxi, Takeoff, landing, use of weapon systems and TAD etc etc. I say, go RTFM like most of us have had to. I say go and at least attempt the SP Training missions.

Then,.............and only then, come to the party holding a bottle of wine rather than empty glasses. We'll help you drink it, hell, we'll help your pour it and teach you how to taste it properly, but we're not going to sit you down, plug a 'Wine IV' drip in and see to your needs all night.

Controversial or not, i know that i speak for a lot of vfs's when i say that the REAL enjoyment of this sim and all the sim titles is the immersion of flying with others, embracing co-ordination in multi-lateral strikes against an enemy location, target or scenario, and all getting back home in one piece. Consequently, servers are locked (or semi locked) to ensure that the question appearing in chat of 'how do i start the engines', doesn't actually appear. In open servers, it does. i assure you. Even now in FC2, it transpires that there will be those online that have made no effort at all to understand the sim or systems of work and expect everyone to stop what they're doing and come to the immediate aid.

THIS is why the great initiative of the community ATO for Newcomers has come into fruition, to prevent this and ensure that YOUR servers, when open and unpassworded, have players from the community who at least have SOME idea of what they are doing.

This thread, (unless i`m mistaken) is a sounding board for Server Admins and mission Designers (sometimes, the same) to see how many different vfs's or multi server vfs's, would be willing to adopt a semi formal system of mission rotation to enable the wider community to have a choice of different flavours that don't over-run or overarch one another. Undoubtedly, this would also include some vfs's to offer up 'Newcomer Training' (as mentioned already) via the ATO system or even a drop in shop.

What is not in question here is, the need for co-ordination.

I believe, this is what 159th-Viper is sounding out.

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Here's a little experiment... A public rough draft of ideas that can be edited by anyone..

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Guq8KCt8kYH9yuXLxTfBZ4ksjcjdi8ckDV0e8x857VY/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=CNvtmcML

Obviously:

Do not vandalize the document with unrelated bullshit. (DCS:desired plane is unrelated bullshit)

Do not erase ANYTHING regardless of how vehemently you disagree with it.

Do not debate the merits of ideas on the document. We can do that here, and in the eventual meeting.

If it survives- we can use this at our get-together..

Edited by S77th-konkussion

A great example of the willing being completely blind.

Please.........................read the ATO post. This is what the 74th and the =STP= have been trying to do and to a certain degree, very successfully.

This whole thread is not about the provision of training, hell, most of us are only to happy to provide that, utilising the ATO system (proven) entitled 'DCS Newcomer Training'; note this title is not vfs specific. The ATO post is a sticky in the MP forum to maximise exposure to the new pilots.

No............what we DONT want to do is co-ordinate further, Newcomer training to the DCS titles. To be frank I have come accross wannabe A-10-C pilots who pretty much want you to put them in the seat and walkthru every last aspect of a manual start, Taxi, Takeoff, landing, use of weapon systems and TAD etc etc. I say, go RTFM like most of us have had to. I say go and at least attempt the SP Training missions.

Then,.............and only then, come to the party holding a bottle of wine rather than empty glasses. We'll help you drink it, hell, we'll help your pour it and teach you how to taste it properly, but we're not going to sit you down, plug a 'Wine IV' drip in and see to your needs all night.

Controversial or not, i know that i speak for a lot of vfs's when i say that the REAL enjoyment of this sim and all the sim titles is the immersion of flying with others, embracing co-ordination in multi-lateral strikes against an enemy location, target or scenario, and all getting back home in one piece. Consequently, servers are locked (or semi locked) to ensure that the question appearing in chat of 'how do i start the engines', doesn't actually appear. In open servers, it does. i assure you. Even now in FC2, it transpires that there will be those online that have made no effort at all to understand the sim or systems of work and expect everyone to stop what they're doing and come to the immediate aid.

THIS is why the great initiative of the community ATO for Newcomers has come into fruition, to prevent this and ensure that YOUR servers, when open and unpassworded, have players from the community who at least have SOME idea of what they are doing.

This thread, (unless i`m mistaken) is a sounding board for Server Admins and mission Designers (sometimes, the same) to see how many different vfs's or multi server vfs's, would be willing to adopt a semi formal system of mission rotation to enable the wider community to have a choice of different flavours that don't over-run or overarch one another. Undoubtedly, this would also include some vfs's to offer up 'Newcomer Training' (as mentioned already) via the ATO system or even a drop in shop.

What is not in question here is, the need for co-ordination.

I believe, this is what 159th-Viper is sounding out.

'T'

Wow, just wow. How rude & opinionated could one post be is response to someone trying to help.

Unless I'm mistaken this thread is about improving the MP environment, in anyway possible, not just your interpretation Tyger. I'm very surprised at the tone and attitude of you post. :(

• Like 1

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Everybody just take a deep breath, step back and relax:

As with all endeavours, they all start with the first step - Please let's all not get ahead of ourselves.

The purpose of this thread was to ascertain whether the majority of persons currently hosting servers will be amenable to co-operate towards the betterment of the MP experience - fullstop.

Once that is sorted, then we can attempt to address issues that could, within the inherent constraints at present, lead to the betterment of the MP experience.

Again separate from that issue are things that are not yet implemented that could form part of a 'wish-list' of sorts, again an issue that GG has brought up and for which there already exists a good bunch of excellent ideas that is being entertained behind-the-scenes......

But that is not the purpose of this here thread - let's focus and deal with the issue at hand. If we cannot even do that then how can we possibly attempt to address further issues in a calm, constructive and mature manner?

Focus, Gents.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Wow, just wow. How rude & opinionated could one post be is response to someone trying to help.

Unless I'm mistaken this thread is about improving the MP environment, in anyway possible, not just your interpretation Tyger. I'm very surprised at the tone and attitude of you post. :(

Wow? r u serious?

MT.

Read it again ole boy.

I'm pointing out that the ATO system for Newcomer training has already been designed and is functional. thats all. we should be embracing that system 'now', not looking at an alternative. The post by CADelta whilst enthusiastic is parallel to a system already in place.

Good post Konkussion. I have already added some points.

Viper, agreed. completely! .....................thought that much was obvious......clearly not.

Edited by Tyger

Main Banner.PNG

Just another point from myself. I left a server running today been up for around 8 hours.

Open and not one visitor, are we presuming locked servers are a problem because of random posts from people who see only locked servers.

Like Snuggles and the T&T crew I can only host on a home PC and a 24MB line so am slot limited

I also offered training way back and had no takers. I have always entertained an open arms approach to folk in these forums and regularly post my TS details and invite people to join.

I am too long in the tooth and intransigent to join a bona fide VFS but the sad fact is I am co owner of a twin Xeon uber1337boi server colo'd in the uk with 100mb dedicated line and apart from the TS3 server only runs on our Sunday and Thursday gaming nights. Its crying out for a server exe.

On a more positive note.

Could we have a passworded missions repository with access for server admins and maybe a QA team who test missions that are then deemed suitable(or not) for use on the DCS approved server list. Then when it comes to hosting we know because of the QA work that the mission works, has replayablity has end triggers or enough spawnable units to keep players happy until the mission rotates.

Also some sort of framework needs to be developed in order that we progress this in a logical and transparent sequence:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just another point from myself. I left a server running today been up for around 8 hours.

Open and not one visitor, are we presuming locked servers are a problem because of random posts from people who see only locked servers.

Like Snuggles and the T&T crew I can only host on a home PC and a 24MB line so am slot limited

I also offered training way back and had no takers. I have always entertained an open arms approach to folk in these forums and regularly post my TS details and invite people to join.

I am too long in the tooth and intransigent to join a bona fide VFS but the sad fact is I am co owner of a twin Xeon uber1337boi server colo'd in the uk with 100mb dedicated line and apart from the TS3 server only runs on our Sunday and Thursday gaming nights. Its crying out for a server exe.

On a more positive note.

Could we have a passworded missions repository with access for server admins and maybe a QA team who test missions that are then deemed suitable(or not) for use on the DCS approved server list. Then when it comes to hosting we know because of the QA work that the mission works, has replayablity has end triggers or enough spawnable units to keep players happy until the mission rotates.

Also some sort of framework needs to be developed in order that we progress this in a logical and transparent sequence:)

:thumbup:

Main Banner.PNG

Open and not one visitor, are we presuming locked servers are a problem because of random posts from people who see only locked servers.....

It's all about providing the service - fullstop. Why should it matter if there are no visitors? It's not a popularity contest :)

That said - you are to be applauded for the service you provide. At the end of the day it's the intent to gather all the admins together and provide a range of servers where all possible scenarios are catered for by all the servers, without the scenario of having two servers running with similar goals/prerequisites/restrictions/mandates etc etc.

By doing so you are specifically catering for the needs of the Community members first and foremost:

If I feel like goofing around, buzzing the Tower, I know that I can attend Server #A. If I want it as 'real as it gets', server #X. If it's free-flight I'm after, server #D and so on and so on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interested! (<- the very much on-topic part of the post! :) )

And (partial)OT:

We (vJaBoG32) do NOT want to offerany Newbie-Training. We just don't have the man-power to operate our squadron and its training plus designing missions and moderating open Newbie-Trainings. BUT: We'd be willing to offer our server to run missions on it, open to the public.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

It's all about providing the service - fullstop. Why should it matter if there are no visitors? It's not a popularity contest :)

My point was that apart from some posts pointing out the lack of unlocked servers what other source of info points to a lack of open servers.

This IIRC was one of the catalysts for this thread

I agree we need to take an organised and community wide approach to the MP issue and I feel that this sim and the producers/programmers etc are deserving of our full support in this endevour.

I'm liking what Koncussion started

Rough draft of Multiplayer Improvement Ideas:

Increase available character space in server descriptions

ED dedicated server with dedicated TS channel

ED dedicated TS channel implemented now, ahead of a potential flying server intro.. (separated into a few languages, as opposed to level of skill, etc)

Ability to identify who is in server from main page (via mouseover/ tooltips?)

chat function on main server page (Hyperlobby showed how it should look like!)

co-ordination of Mission Types and skill levels across vfs servers

ED Sub forum for Server Admins for Co-ordination of 7 above

Banlist/timeouts for Tkers and the like : 1st offense - 1 week ban, 2nd offense - 2 week ban, 3rd offense- Game over(Why did you bother purchasing TrackIR, HOTAS Warthog??)

A central mission database where willing hosts can pick a mission from to host it on their server(s)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At the end of the day it's the intent to gather all the admins together and provide a range of servers where all possible scenarios are catered for by all the servers, without the scenario of having two servers running with similar goals/prerequisites/restrictions/mandates etc etc.

By doing so you are specifically catering for the needs of the Community members first and foremost:

If I feel like goofing around, buzzing the Tower, I know that I can attend Server #A. If I want it as 'real as it gets', server #X. If it's free-flight I'm after, server #D and so on and so on.

Thats as good a mission statement as you can get:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On behalf of 69° Squadrone I'm glad to confirm our interest in the project.

1329059279.png

Cheers,

Nev

i7@3.8 / 2 SSD OCZ Vertex 2 + 2 Velociraptor / 12GB DDR3 / nV480GTX / 40' LED / T-iR5 / soon HOTAS Warthog / CH Pro Pedals

Q6600 / 2x74GB Raptor / 750 GB Hitachi / 4GB DDR II OCZ / 8800 GTS 512 / Track-IR / Cougar / CH Pro Pedals

How many groups do we have that have servers based in a data centre or have a dedicated box with a decent connection that can host suitably?

The figure would appear to be extremely low, i think this number is very important to understand. As it is key to what can be really realised on this subject in my opinion. As any other form of server will only be up sporadically and will most likely only ever be run to the wish of the host at the time of the session.

As far as T&T is concerned the best we can say is we'll try to keep our server open as much as possible, (something already do) and we'll make it clear what kind of mission is being run. All we ever ask for is people use teamwork and act with maturity and hopefully join us on TS. Not wanting to go on about it...but without a dedicated exe there is little we can bring to the table. I cannot see us ever agreeing to only run one type/level of mission, but what is expected of people joining us won't fluctuate or change, so we can make this clear at least.

Edited by MadTommy

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Our server is data-centre based, available 24/7 with a really fast connection.

Because there is no dedicated server.exe we needed to built our own 4HU server with full home-desktop capabilities (GFX etc.). Cost us about 1000€ 2-3 years ago (it's a E8400 with 4gig RAM). :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

The figure would appear to be extremely low, i think this number is very important to understand

We are only seeking to improve on what is already there - no more. If we can add to as well as improve, so much the better. As said, to better utilise existing resources is the main aim here, for now in any event.

As far as T&T is concerned the best we can say is we'll try to keep our server open as much as possible...

That's all the commitment we require at present - nothing more.

...but without a dedicated exe there is little we can bring to the table.....

A willingness to participate is already in itself commendable - every little bit helps :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How many groups do we have that have servers based in a data centre or have a dedicated box with a decent connection that can host suitably?

Mine's in a datacenter on a fiber connection

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

The figure would appear to be extremely low, i think this number is very important to understand. As it is key to what can be really realised on this subject in my opinion. As any other form of server will only be up sporadically and will most likely only ever be run to the wish of the host at the time of the session.

Good point.

We have a dedicated Server currently awaiting a switchover after a hefty investment of Fibre Installation at 100mb/100mb. Fibre is in, switchover is looming. Any day now.

We also have another dedicated Server, currently not active, that 'could' possibly and ideally serve as a 'constant' for 'open server' policy. I would however, only dedicate this upon the full agreement of the 74th.

This will be discussed at our next conference, so that we may be able to 'bring a bottle' to the party.

'T'

Main Banner.PNG

Interested! (<- the very much on-topic part of the post! :) )

And (partial)OT:

We (vJaBoG32) do NOT want to offerany Newbie-Training. We just don't have the man-power to operate our squadron and its training plus designing missions and moderating open Newbie-Trainings. BUT: We'd be willing to offer our server to run missions on it, open to the public.

Good post Laud.

I think we (the 74th) are on the same page here as you.

Open Newbie-training is very exhausting and burns you out real quick. We already offer newbie training through the ATO on set timings with intervals to make sure that we recuperate and not burn out.

But, like you, we would offer our server to run public missions in a rotationschedule.

Bengo

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

I've dedicated my second machine just to running as a MP server for DCS A-10. It has the same hardware shown below and it's up and running now. I have just not used it to host yet. So I am very interested on how DCS wants us to standardize these servers so we can grow our community. We might want to create a sub forum with the top five areas that we need to address to get started.

I moved from New York to Florida so I lost my 100 megabit pipe. Right now I only get 30MB down and 5 MB up. I am in the process of trying to increase my bandwidth.

Edited by Gonzo01

That said - you are to be applauded for the service you provide. At the end of the day it's the intent to gather all the admins together and provide a range of servers where all possible scenarios are catered for by all the servers, without the scenario of having two servers running with similar goals/prerequisites/restrictions/mandates etc etc.

that's a damn good Charter

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

My unit is currently working on sorting some things out, in testing phase right now, but we will soon enough be hosting a dedicated server that is passworded. However, we will also be hosting a pub TS server which other pilots / squadrons can join and use TARS within our TS / A10C server.

The server will be passworded in order to enforce pilots to join TS and participate in radio comms. From within TS you will be able to aquire the server password and other information.

Our goal is to run some more organized operations with multiple units / individual pilots working together in a coordinated fashion.

I believe this is along the lines of what was proposed, a way to help bring the community together.

We also have a series of missions under development in which will comprise an MP campaign scenario that we are hoping to coordinate multiple groups of people together to run some pretty impressive operations in a professional manor.

We are looking for new pilots to recruit into our squadron, however, this is not nearly as much of a priority for us as making friends with other squadrons and creating a "joint effort" atmosphere. :D

-Seil

-Seil

WotG Founder & A10C Lead

@ Viper: The Spare-Time-Pilots are supporting the intention.

At the moment there are two PCs ready to use it as server.

1st is located in Switzerland and is running BlackShark puplic 24/7. Administrator is Goose81.

2nd is my old PC located in Germany and is running BlackShark if we need it.

Once the Warthog DVD arrived, I will establish a Warthog-Server with this PC. But it will only run if we need it.

Once the compatibility patch (WH & BS) is released, Goose81's server will be available for Warthog also.