DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Nevada is at least on par with some of the building models, textures from these maps. Like Wags said, the only limitation for EDGE is the amount of time the developer wants to spend on the map. Which in Nevada's case, it's like 3+ years. haha. Unfortunately we're not even getting all the major hotels on the strip. Maybe they need 4 years to do that.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

I hope Nevada is at least on par with some of the building models, textures from these maps. Like Wags said, the only limitation for EDGE is the amount of time the developer wants to spend on the map. Which in Nevada's case, it's like 3+ years. haha. Unfortunately we're not even getting all the major hotels on the strip. Maybe they need 4 years to do that.

Most of that 3 Years was actually Developing the Rendering Engine.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Most of that 3 Years was actually Developing the Rendering Engine.

Doubt the model/texture artists were busy writing code for the engine. Although, I suppose they could be programmer/artist hybrids over there.

Also, That doesn't explain the maps we've been seeing by 3rd parties. These other companies have had enough time to grab EDGE (even if it was at an earlier version,) model more than one city, texture more than one city, and get them to work inside their simulator? Doesn't make sense.

I personally think ED had more money coming in from these other companies, so they put their entertainment consumer products at the back of the line. That would make the most sense to me. But you gotta go where the money is too. Better that then they just go under.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

Doubt the model/texture artists were busy writing code for the engine. Although, I suppose they could be programmer/artist hybrids over there.

Also, That doesn't explain the maps we've been seeing by 3rd parties. These other companies have had enough time to grab EDGE (even if it was at an earlier version,) model more than one city, texture more than one city, and get them to work inside their simulator? Doesn't make sense.

I personally think ED had more money coming in from these other companies, so they put their entertainment consumer products at the back of the line. That would make the most sense to me. But you gotta go where the money is too. Better that then they just go under.

Work Stopped on Nevada at some point for a while, then started again.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Work Stopped on Nevada at some point for a while, then started again.

MAYBE, the Minsk team actually created the other maps for those other companies?! :megalol:

Either way, since those companies are working with a Locked Feature Set, they can code and use stuff in early stages.

Since DCSW's Feature Set is constantly expanding/evolving, it takes longer to code and test Engine's for it. You have to code for what you know you are going to add eventually, even if it's not being worked on now.

Why build and texture stuff when you dont know final capabilities of your engine? They could have been working on the new models we get in patches. Who knows.

Other companies could have 100 dedicated people to artwork alone. Maybe 200. Problem is that we don't know and therefor speculating on why others can do it is not really relevant in my opinion.

The A10c started as a desktop trainer program thingy and got ported to commercial use, so its possible, but again, nobody knows

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

Nevada, is it geared towards better performance?

Nevada, is it geared towards better performance? Like using all four cores of a quad core? Or is it just a new map to replace the old with bad performance when you add lots of AI? I have read all about it and saw that it's suppose to add more things to the landscape, but I am just curious to know what the performance is going to be like. I also wish it would hurry up and get released because I know this old map like I know my own back garden.

Like using all four cores of a quad core?

No

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Beta DCS A-10 owner question

I was an early adopter of the A-10 module when it was in beta. Upon release the Nevada map was pulled and we were promised the Nevada map as a free map in the future.

Since now, the Nevada map is using the Edge technology, will we (beta adopters) still be receiving this for free?

(This may have been answered many times in the past but focus has changed on the Nevada map and it may be different now)

Thanks is advance for any official response.

When it's time to talk about the performance of EDGE, you'll know it.

So does this mean there is no way of telling until it's complete?

No

So it uses 2 cores? Does it take your Graphics Card more into account and use the Graphics Card more?

Edited by Dudester22

No, it means ED is not going to talk about performance expectations until they are ready to talk about performance expectations. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

At some point in the future Wags will announce that 'EDGE is in' and 'It has these features in the first implementation', and you will know.

Until then, there is nothing to say.

So it uses 2 cores? Does it take your Graphics Card more into account and use the Graphics Card more?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I was an early adopter of the A-10 module when it was in beta. Upon release the Nevada map was pulled and we were promised the Nevada map as a free map in the future.

Since now, the Nevada map is using the Edge technology, will we (beta adopters) still be receiving this for free?

(This may have been answered many times in the past but focus has changed on the Nevada map and it may be different now)

Thanks is advance for any official response.

Last official statement was that it was still the plan to do so.

Probably so. Best not to post possibilities and then have people take that to be absolutes, and then get grumpy at ED for 'promises' that were never promises to begin with

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

Something that just came to my mind.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I didn't search all the pages in this utterly long thread.

Poeple who preordered A-10C get nevada for free, so far so good.

It was said, nevada is the first map that will benefit from edge and that the old map will not work with edge as it is a totally different engine.

Now those who didn't preorder A-10C are (at first) stuck with the old map.

But does that mean they won't be able to benefit from or update to edge at all, given the current map is build with the old engine ?

Or is edge compatible with the old map but just the map doesn't take advantage of any of the new stuff edge brings ?

Please clarify!

Greetings

MadCat

Edited by -=MadCat=-

It was said, nevada is the first map that will benefit from edge and that the old map will not work with edge as it is a totally different engine.

But does that mean they won't be able to benefit from edge, given the current map is build with the old engine ?

Or is edge compatible with the old map but just the map doesn't take advantage of any of the new stuff edge brings?

Has it been specifically stated that the old map will not work with EDGE? The only thing I ever saw was that the Black Sea map will not have EDGE enhancements.

The simulator possibly could load up the proper engine depending on the map you select. OR EDGE could run the Black Sea map inside itself with no EDGE specific visuals

There is no official information on how it functions in this regard yet.

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

That would make no sense. Why have a totally new epic engine and not have it capable of using current map. Should of made the current map the edge exclusive then bolt on the minor maps afterwards. Either way will be a epic day when something comes out. From the readings i have done sounds like the whole process would of been made easier converting over current map into the new edge dcsw game.

Be nice to know the specifics of how this transition will take place. Is edge esentially being bolted onto the current dcsw, or is it a whole new entity that will import the current terrain and modules we have now?

Edited by rcjonessnp175

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

That would make no sense. Why have a totally new epic engine and not have it capable of using current map. Should of made the current map the edge exclusive then bolt on the minor maps afterwards. Either way will be a epic day when something comes out. From the readings i have done sounds like the whole process would of been made easier converting over current map into the new edge dcsw game.

Not saying that it will, but it makes sense so EDGE could be optimized for the newer stuff. However it has been said that the Black Sea map is not going anyplace.

But lets not speculate and wait until something official is posted about it considering I could speculate all day until my brain goes boom.

I am sure once specifics are ready to be announced, they will be posted in the Official News section

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Rgr that my friend, i think the excitement gets the best of us sometimes. LOL

Believe me, I'm one of the hungriest ones for answers :-)

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Something that just came to my mind.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I didn't search all the pages in this utterly long thread.

Poeple who preordered A-10C get nevada for free, so far so good.

But does that mean they won't be able to benefit from or update to edge at all, given the current map is build with the old engine ?

Or is edge compatible with the old map but just the map doesn't take advantage of any of the new stuff edge brings ?

Please clarify!

Greetings

MadCat

Why anyone interested in this Sim wouldn't purchase Edge is beyond me, so I cannot even answer that question. But I hope it is available to buy, it is isn't it?