Guitarist Thread!

Pougatchev

I saw the thread title and thought i look into in. Always been a great guitar addict. Allthough i have many guitars (Ibanez SA-260FM, Fender Strat Custom Shop 50's, Epiphone Joe Pass, Nylon's and Western's, Yamaha Bass, Midi stuff etc.) i find that am not gonna use alot of money on the wood until i find the right pickups first. How they sound is quite important in my experience. So far a set of the SD pickups seems to be the most versatile for my music styles. In my situation now a tube amp isn't really an option and I find that a AXE-FX II does most I would need. I use a simple GT-10 now. Not the best pre-amps, but some good sound can be produced. I have drilled in a tone i like for most so it ok.

Anyway, the thread seems to have alot og focus on equipment and i dont have much fancy to show off in that dept. Not too important to me.

I guess music taste is what it is....very different from person to person, but what i think any serious guitarist appreciate to listen to is guitarists with several good quailties. I guess we all have heard all the legends both old and new, but I have a few less known for you here which i really love to listen to.

This is all instrumental solocentric stuff and of course needs to be played loud :thumbup: These are just samples from them, but 2 of them have a serious spectrum of playing qualities. So check out their other stuff too.

This one is my all time guitar masterpiece looking at range in the composition

Another one from 7:35 (Its all in the fingers...check the guitar he use ;) 60's strat part (red) just beautiful phrasing)

Unparallelled technique...also last 30 secs is just unreal on an acoustic

Hopefully enjoy, and maybe you have some yourself for me to catch:)

----

Edited by xracer

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Might as well bomb this thread with a few pics as well.

Here are some shots of some current projects:

Experimenting with the vacuum bag.

image_zps7065f2f9.jpg

Lattice bracing installed, carved and almost fully voiced.

image_zps45b736b4.jpg

Binding in progress

image_zpsae1d4a83.jpg

Possibly the most over the top truss rod cover I've ever made!

image_zps4c6bdecc.jpg

Shot of a new rosette design (based largely on an existing design from one of my favorite builders). Also, my new label design (definitely a WIP as the kerning is way off)

image_zpsc457e172.jpg

Guitars, guitars, guitars... They have cast a spell on me :D

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

I am back into guitar playing that is the reason my pit build is progressing very slowly.

What I'm trying to achief ng THE David Gilmour (comfortably numb solo) sound.

l'll post some pics & settings later.

Guitars & amp

Ibanez GRG 170DXBKN

Steelstring Western guitar

Roland Micro Cube 15XL

My effects:

MXR DYNACOMP

PROCO RAT II

Digitech Screamin' Blues overdrive

Digitech Digital Delay.

the compressor gives my sound more attack/dynamics and sustain. The RAT is the main distortion for a nice fat sound with even more sustain. The overdrive unit boosts the RAT and gives me control on the low/mid range. (very little overdrive selected.) For the delay pedal I use the Vintage Tape Delay setting with 0 repeats and around 500ms delay.

I'm still scaping my tone but the sound I have now is very very cool and is starting to sound like PULSE or the album version of Comfortably Numb. It gives you the idea of the BIG sound.

I might buy a Little Big Muff Pi pedal to get a really sick tone but have to wait for the new month for my toy budget :P because I want to continue building my pit also.

Awesome stuff! I play some guitar myself, not at all as good as most of you guys I'm sure, but it's enough for me. I can play some Radiohead (my favorite band for all time) and enjoy myself.

I've got a Stratocaster, a Martin acoustic/electric, and a Peavey tube amp. Actually, my old p.o.s. gear that I started with is lying around somewhere too. As far as effects, I've got a WH-1 Whammy and an E-Bow (obviously I have a long way to go towards replicating the Radiohead sound, but it gets me through Just, My Iron Lung, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, etc.). Really want to pick up a digital delay but I'm pretty strapped for cash right now (trading up for a new motorcycle :D).

Cool to see some other guitar enthusiasts also enjoy the pursuits of raining virtual death from the heavens. :pilotfly:

Holy...you build your own guitar!

I had an old Carvin amp and thought I'd save up for the cheapest Gibson Les Paul. Well that was unrealistic. :D So I thought a Takamini electric acoustic or nothing at all. Few years went by and I ended up trading my amp for this. :P It's a used Chinese brand Melody and it sounds like dead toad. Yes, that's a curtain. :D

guitar.thumb.jpg.43cb9e8e5012d39494c2d49a15400b6a.jpg

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

is that a particle board you're using?

Yes, it's 1.2cm strength fine grain particle board (it's called MDF in German, basically translates to medium density fiberboard). I opted not to go plywood since the build was highly experimental and i wanted to keep weight and costs low. Also it's a very common material for PA cabinets. Maybe i'll do another one in plywood.

Edit: Oh btw. that is some extremely nice craftsmanship on that guitar. :thumbup:

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 11 months later...

my own music scores

below is a nice latin funk groove I wrote and played on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5etTbWEpL_w

played on a Gibson SG special, and still superb sounding digitech GNX4 ..

main influences "Al McKay former guitarist from earth wind and fire"

Edited by diveplane

I have a Martin, acoustic and love to play..... anything from John butler, some Guns n' Roses and Ed Sheeran

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Cool, Martin's are beautiful :)

Bass player myself for 20 yrs now. Played alot of greasy pub gig's, mainly classic/hard rock :thumbup:

I use a Yamaha 4 string with Seymour Duncan 1/4 pound pick-ups ( phaatt ) and a Cort 5 string aswell.

Fav band at the moment: Animals as Leaders

Check em out if you like technical.

Btw, in the below track what sounds like bass pop and slap is acually 8 string guitar ;)

(Hey Smokey (Julian), I like your work. Is the guitar finished?)

My main actual guitar is an american deluxe Telecaster, this one exactly:

6816_Fender_American_Deluxe_Telecaster_Maple_Neck_3_Tone_Sunburst_US11283994_a.jpg

I have others, too. I don't use an amp anymore, at least until now, since my neighbours would probably hate me, very much. In the meantime, I use a Line6 pod. But I'd love to get my hands on a Blackstar HT Stage 60.

Here's my Bandcamp page, btw. It's kind of experimental/indus, be warned.

Any link to your music, peeps?

Only just noticed this thread. I was a metallica nutcase from when I first heard the song Blackened, back in '88. Bought a guitar, an cheap Marlin thingy and a little marshall amp. All I played was metallica. Then i bought a Jackson Professional, black of course, and later on a 150 watt, stereo Marshall Valvestate AVT275. Oh, and a wah-wah. Played mostly thrash and hard rock stuff.

Then, 2 years ago I had a major turn in direction - I bought a classical guitar! A Lag 212N Summer version.

I hardly play the electric anymore. I love the classical guitar. Can play a few classical pieces now and i'm really enjoying it. I still listen to the harder stuff, slayer, metallica, pantera etc, but I'm very happy to be playing bach and beethoven et al as well.

Regards,

Milli

Yeah, it is kinda funny how some guitar players change over the years.

I started with electric guitar, playing Metallica and similar stuff as well, and now I play mostly acoustic guitar. Lots of country music, especially bluegrass. Tony Rice is my hero.

I wish I had more time and the right mood to practice more often. But then I love variety, playing also banjo and mandolin, and flying virtual airplanes, building virtual rockets, slaying virtual monsters and shooting real bows... Too many hobbies to become a great guitar player I guess.

Still good enough to have fun. :)

At the moment I'm searching for a guitar that sounds exactly like the one I want. And saving money for it. It took my father 20 years to find such a guitar (he plays a Gibson, a Songwriter Deluxe IIRC) and while I don't like its visual appearance too much I admit it sounds pretty awesome.

But my dream guitar sounds a bit different. I just cannot describe how without playing. Some Martin guitars I played came close, but none of them was right there.

I still think Martin may be the right manufacturer. Bluegrass flatpicking screams Martin. Although of course there are others.

Edited by Aginor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
blues track I wrote :>).. .

gary moore is another main influence for me.

very nice, I really like this one

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

My version of Technical Difficulties by Racer X, after a "too much drunking night in a nightclub", sorry for the fails :D

The solo was totally improvised so I think my brain was a little overloaded at the end :music_whistling:

Edited by Pougatchev

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make the reporting system great again!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, man!

Any chance you know how to correctly tune for Teenage Riot by Sonic Youth? I've tried and well, I'm not sure I got it right. So, please, if someone could post a proper vid on how to tune a guitar to that weird and wonderful Sonic Youth tuning.

It's GABDEG; simple enough, right? Well it ain't for me at least. Pleaseeeee...

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Great to see some active noodlers on the forum;)

Here is one of me doing some stevie wonder-

I have some other crap on the channel ,I don't really play guitar anymore so when I record ,its pretty sloppy and rushed . I have a tele select,deluxe strat and a YJM strat couple Ibenez and way too many amps.

my last project in the making-