DCS Flying Legend Aircraft

Phantom88

Maybe it is all part of a strategy?

Can ED model prop aircraft - Who knows?

If ED can model prop aircraft I do believe they just may corner the flight sim market even more...:thumbup:

Who knows maybe ED could team up with A2A Simulation they do excellent work on the P-51D and Spits also with Accu-Sim Spits and soon to come Accu-Sim P-51D:music_whistling:

• Like 1

Different strokes for different folks, but I think 100% of the people present on these forums have interest in combat flight simulation.

Well, not everyone uses this sim for the same things. ;)

:D

• Like 1

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

A thought - & I guess it depends on the implementation, but putting another aircraft into DCS that doesn't require major code reworks & additions may be a signal to 3rd parties that creating additional aircraft as "drop in's" for the environment is possible ?

True. But you would have got the same result if ED had produced good documentation (and we know they can do this, the recent raft of flying and installation manuals are great) and well-tested and stable integration points. If ED had done that then the community would already have done a multitude of aircraft (there are already several Hornet and Viper projects hard up against the limitations against what is currently possible) and maps.

I'm sure you've noticed that the community has been trying to add new aircraft and even terrain for ages. Why this hasn't happened on a large scale is twofold: first, there are some limits in the current design that made adding stuff hard. This seems to be getting addressed now (yay!). The second and far more significant limitation is the instability of the integration points (few docs, some howler bugs, changeability of the interfaces).

This re-focus by ED on modability is excellent and coupled with the new EDGE terrain engine that I hope will make it easier for the community to add theaters - then ED may be on to a winner.

Hopefully some of the mod teams that are slowly drifting from FSX to X-Plane (at least it seems that way to me) will also come this way for combat aircraft.

However, a stable platform for modders is needed if ED want to see an ecosystem develop. This means interfaces change by extension (old stuff is kept working, just new features or new more efficient ways of doing the old thing are added). It also means that the interfaces need to be specified (documentation) and the implementation matches the specification. We have tried to tell ED about this in this thread, http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=81721, but unfortunately it seems some of that detailed information isn't wanted :( If integration information is public the community will always help with reporting issues.

I won't bang with specifics about the current integration points, but as a modder they pretty much don't work at the moment. They change too frequently (eg. debrief logs changing formats, accesibility, completeness or accuracy) or don't provide information that makes sense (eg. recording time in different units in different logs, different types of unit IDs and not reporting on the stuff that would actually be relevant to an integrator). Just this morning I was testing the event logs that 16th_Speed had made accessible via slmod and found that the information being logged in the event logs is probably ok for internal ED mission debriefings but falls short of what is needed by external parties - so we need to do a lot of workarounds to find information that should be simple for the system to provide. Just last night I was working on my moving map and found that fuel consumption and ground speeds reported by the export interface give incorrect values.

It is this kind of stuff that will hamper EDs plans to get more modders on board and more importantly, keep them here instead of modding something else (BMS, X-Plane). To sort it out will take time, for sure, so I hope everyone gives ED the 'space' to get this done.

Edited by Moa

imagine the witch hunt if ED didnt put guns in the legend a/c. Like Ethereal, I'm a fan of flight, but this is a combat sim and I'd be sorely disappointed if I cant fire a burst at random object evey now and then.

• Like 1

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Maybe it is all part of a strategy?

Can ED model fast fixed wing jets - Yes

Can ED model rotary wing - Yes

Can ED model prop aircraft - Who knows?

Can ED... or beter yet - does ED have experience in modeling maintenance/wear/feel aspects of aircrafts? This is my only doubt when it comes to ED vs A2A scenario. Maybe also sky color issues but that's probably just me :tomato: :smilewink: Of all the other aspects I'm pretty sure ED will stand up to the challenge.

On the general imagination of what non-combat flight sim can be. No proper DM in currently available in non-combats does not mean non-combat=no proper DM. It means FSX=no proper DM and X-Plane=no proper DM. And only that. Extend to other aspects respectively.

As for DCS as a future platform for addon aircrafts - forget about it as far as the near future is concerned. X-Plane is around for years and it can't get through the mediocre but well established FSX. Unless of course ED would provide easier/faster process of addon making.

Edited by Bucic

Maybe also sky color issues but that's probably just me

:megalol:

I am not opposed to the idea of DCS: legend 1 having operational weapons on it, as long as it is appropriate for the aircraft. I am simply opposed to the general idea that combat flight simulators and non-combat flight simulators should be two completely separate things, for two separate markets, and two separate communities, when really, "Flight Simulator" is a subset of "Combat Flight Simulator". I don't think anyone here would have a problem if DCS: C-2A or C-47 didn't have any weapons on it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually if you really want you can use little-dog's EFA mod to fly a C-130 around (as well as other stuff in the sim).

Cockpit ain't right but the rest if it is cool (with some limitations, props don't spin for human pilots).

Am I the only one that thinks of "DCS flying legends" being a whole seperate game from the other DCS, Yes it is part of the Digital Combat Simulator series but the way he said it made it seem like it was a whole other sim. As in what ever aircraft that will be modeled would get put in a different scenario with different planes from its time period. If this is right this means that most likely it wont be compatible with the other DCS modern aircraft and it will have guns. I dont think ED would model a sim on a combat aircraft without weapons

About the Flying Legend aircraft, the proof points toward the p-51 because thats the first plane that came to my mind when I read "Flying Legends" and Wags mentioned earlier to research the fighter collection.

http://fighter-collection.com/pages/...tion/index.php But it would be cool to get a vietnam war era aircraft because those aircraft havnt been modeled to much

About the Flying Legend aircraft, the proof points toward the p-51 because thats the first plane that came to my mind when I read "Flying Legends" and Wags mentioned earlier to research the fighter collection.

http://fighter-collection.com/pages/...tion/index.php But it would be cool to get a vietnam war era aircraft because those aircraft havnt been modeled to much

If you have BlackShark 2 look for the folder Data\EagleFM\P51B

That's a pretty strong hint that some work has been done on the P-51B

Also there is a file Mods\mod_plane_sample.lua (whose content will probably change over the course of development) but it contains a lot of data that used to be scattering in many files but is now centralised. This is a very good design change, IMHO.

Spacecraft are still unmached though:

Mmm, DCS: Orbiter or DCS: Apollo

:joystick:

• Like 1

213 bite your tongue. The SR-71 in my opinion is one of the most beautiful jets ever made. It is most definitely the fastest. Mach 3.2 cruising speed.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]