DCS: P-51D Mustang Coming in 2012

Wags

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK .50 is too small for HEI, 20mm is where HEI starts to really make sense. From what i can remember from my basic training, the typical cold war APC (i guess the shilka is in the same armor league) will withstand 12.7mm(.50) from the front, but sides and top are only built to withstand small arms fire(but then i went on to become a field medic, so take it with a grain of salt :)).

Well there's always ROCKETS!!

mustangrockets.jpg

Patrick

mini.gif

News report just in: "Bizarrely, today a second world war P51 Mustang was seen flying in formation with a three ship of A10 Warthogs over the Crimean peninsular. According to a Nato spokesperson, the flight attacked a heavily defended Russian ammunition depot in South Ossetia. While the three A10s remained on station for over 2 hours after the raid conducting BDA and defeating an array of SAMs and AAA with their heavy armour and countermeasures suites, the Mustang was sadly shot down within seconds of entering the target area and was hit by so much ordnance that it literally disintegrated in mid-air. No trace of the suicidal pilot has been found."

.... and defeating an array of SAMs and AAA with their heavy armour and countermeasures suites...

What the Hell?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I can't wait to strafe some convoys with that bad boy. Will there be any new AI units out though? Like German WWII planes to dog fight?

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

There's one complaint I will agree with. ED, you need to decide if you want to get into the civilian flight sim world. If you do, it's time to consider a few things:

- Separating military and civilian flight simulation within the software itself. (Be that by GUI, or further to reduce feature-set used in military simulation and replace it with other things.)

- World scenery. There's no point building essentially civilian aircraft without somewhere to fly them aside from the Black Sea or a small part of Nevada.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. They will release P-51D while they are working on F/A-18C (:-)) ? Great! Another flying jewel to my DCS collection. I will buy it for sure! I can't wait to learn to fly it and take it for a spin. TBH I would enjoy any aircraft at DCS level of realism.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

What "IF" In the Big Picture......The Grand Scheme of things......That The P-51D is just a START of something much,much Bigger?.......A Korean 1950's scenario? With New Map/Terrain, F4U's, Panthers and Mig's?

This is my wishful thinking of what ED/TFC have in mind for the DCS Legends series.:thumbup:

Patrick

mini.gif

Couple of more compatibility patches and my wife is going block my credit cart...:)

Then tell her the next thing to be "upgraded" will be her. :D

Be a man: lay it out.

:thumbup:

//looking over my shoulder to ensure the PTVCW not seeing this.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I can't wait to strafe some convoys with that bad boy. Will there be any new AI units out though? Like German WWII planes to dog fight?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1378073&postcount=161

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It's a simple battle between those who have their own personal ideals of what they want the DCS series to be about. WWII just doesn't seem to fit with many, which is strange to me. The choices of airframes have never been a popularity contest or a real world war scenario. THey have been contracts, Black Shark military contract 1, A10C military contract 2.

Flying legends seems to be a personal initiative by the fighter collection who I guess feel they can develop this "side project" without a big military contract...more power to them. To me it's a sign of good times at the company and as a result a more prosperous product for us.

Resources at any company are never really focused on one aspect. You think Apple or Microsoft or Google focuses all their resources on one project? ... they DO NOT.

ED most likely have a roadmap, we are not privy to their grand scheme but that's not really within our right...no matter how the internet makes us feel or enpowers us to think we know better than anybody else.

The debate will continue to go in circles, we're on lap 49 now I think.

I render my full support to ED and their initiative.

Civilian aircraft don't have six .50 cal machine guns ;)

Convince me that a P-51 belongs with modern tactical jet fighters.

ED is putting the P-51 in a modern environment, in which it is a warbird and generally would be considered a civilian-operated aircraft, guns or not. I'm all about this module, really... even if I want to see the fixed-wing US fighter more, this is good. I just hope it's implemented in the right way.

What "IF" In the Big Picture......The Grand Scheme of things......That The P-51D is just a START of something much,much Bigger?.......A Korean 1950's scenario? With New Map/Terrain, F4U's, Panthers and Mig's?

This is my wishful thinking of what ED/TFC have in mind for the DCS Legends series.:thumbup:

Wow...don't people see some of the posts here!!!! :music_whistling:

Here is a quote from GGTharos I posted again and here again regarding follow ups..

I'm sure there will be a follow on at some point :)

Looks as though there just might be follow-ups..nothing is ever complete!...

It's a simple battle between those who have their own personal ideals of what they want the DCS series to be about. WWII just doesn't seem to fit with many, which is strange to me. The choices of airframes have never been a popularity contest or a real world war scenario. THey have been contracts, Black Shark military contract 1, A10C military contract 2.

Flying legends seems to be a personal initiative by the fighter collection who I guess feel they can develop this "side project" without a big military contract...more power to them. To me it's a sign of good times at the company and as a result a more prosperous product for us.

Resources at any company are never really focused on one aspect. You think Apple or Microsoft or Google focuses all their resources on one project? ... they DO NOT.

ED most likely have a roadmap, we are not privy to their grand scheme but that's not really within our right...no matter how the internet makes us feel or enpowers us to think we know better than anybody else.

The debate will continue to go in circles, we're on lap 49 now I think.

I render my full support to ED and their initiative.

Well Put!

No one is putting a gun to your head to purchase the P-51D...but some of us like it..we had to take a back seat to those jet burner's..and good for you ..but don't steal our thunder because its not your F-16/F18 Jet..be patient ... a well known quote..." build it they will come.. " :thumbup:

Some of you people are really amazing with the whole "glass is half empty perspective"... even if you don't care one lick about the P-51D, you should at least recognize this as a vehicle for bringing in more simmers into the DCS world. If nothing else, this helps ED continue developing other aircraft.... like the ones you DO want.

It's half full because of how it's currently being presented, which is caused by a number of reasons. I think the main culprit is the lack of information provided by ED. While yes, having a P-51 seems great in a way, the environment simply conflicts with just about everything pertaining to it (which was brilliantly illustrated by the table on the previous page).

Some have promoted IL2, etc as worthy--making DCS: Pony pretty pointless. While I will never agree that ANY DCS model will be "pointless", it certainly doesn't make their concerns any less valid. These other WWII era software releases are themed, just like DCS initially was.

BS was brilliant. The right aircraft in the right place in the world at the right time. As previously mentioned, environmental realism was lost when A-10 was released. Offering a WWII era aircraft to the mix, to some, adds (literally) insult to injury.

Someone already stated that the realism you should expect in DCS is flight.

In short, your options are...

• Others offer the environment with "unrealistic" aircraft
  • DCS offers a realistic flight/model, but (currently) a poor/unrealistic environmental setting

Pick your poison. Both are subjective.

Should you expect more? I guess that's the million-dollar question. Would it be a good move to release a (partial) European map along with the Pony? I would like to think it would. It certainly would not be a perfect fit since we don't live in the WWII era (nor should it; you can only expect so much from a single series), but as it's been mentioned before, it just feels wrong to fly the border of the Soviet Union in a Mustang. How folks spend their pretendy fun time is up to the individual, but even if you have an opposing view, I would suspect people can at least understand that point.

With the pre-purchase incentive for the A-10 (free NV map) I'm kind of floored that there isn't a map to compliment this aircraft. At present, my guess is that no one has a lack of faith in the quality of the aircraft...this has been more than proven. There's obviously a (screaming) concern over the future progress/potential of the landscape based on the shift (rather, expansion) of the company's focus.

If this is the route being taken, there IS a long-term plan to start filling the earth quite a bit more, right?

The argument "buy to support ED so they continue devolping" end....

Yeah, I caught that too. A weak and incredibly lame argument to boot. To be honest, at this point it's to be expected from the backside-patting clique who respond to concerns (albeit overly dramatic at times, but that doesn't diminish the validity of it by any means) with less-than-clever sarcasm & passive-aggressive comments.

I haven't decided if I'm going to get the Pony, but I certainly won't be basing my purchase on "supporting future releases". I do that by paying for the aircraft/upgrades to the airframes -I- want to fly (based on the aircraft they determine to produce...see how that works?). Suggesting the above statement (I think it was a moderator who first made that comment actually, then changed gears later) is like suggesting a lingering (and much desired) model over everyone's head, followed with "if you want A, it is highly encouraged that you buy B" in tow.

Your argument carries no weight IMO. Sounds like you want/expect ED to make all these products and keep them updated for free??? Do you expect to get paid when you work? No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. This is a hobby and hobbies cost money. If you can't afford it, find a cheaper hobby. I've spent less than $150 on ED's products... that's a bargain for the hours I've gotten out of them.

Hardware grows on trees? ;)

On the surface, it does seem "shady" to pay for the same aircraft multiple times. I admit I was a little burnt over the idea initially (before I read the list), but then I remember my purchase history with Flight Simulator..

• MSFSX

Of course, if it's an actual improvement to the aircraft itself, I don't see where the complaint is. It's not like paying for upgrades is a new concept.

At least when it comes to multiplayer the A-10 pilots who love trying to blow a hole to China with no aerial threat to speak of can't complain too much when they get roasted by a pesky P-51 jock, after all they have AIM-9's and a superior gun, so keep your eyes peeled, being a good strike pilot is more than just moving mud. :D

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I will just sit and watch You all bicker. lol!!!!

But the truth is I am an avid Mustang fanatic. I know we are a dime a dozen.

Allot of good points here. My hopes are getting a DCS wwii combat sim. If We could set up combat missions in a similar manor We get to in BS and A-10C but in western Europe and the pacific theaters, then this is where ED would have it all over FSX.

Just another opinion.

Time will tell how this will pan out. But if ED had to pick a legendary warbird, they would be hard pressed to pick a better or more historically important one.

I don't know about You guys, but I'm gonna fly My Mustang with a couple Vipers and pretend I'm Ed Shippley!! LOL!!!!!!!

I'll just keep saying it. ED could take off (no pun intended) with the flight simulation market if they'd work on:

- World scenery.

- Open architecture and tools for creating 3rd-party aircraft and scenery.

It's a no-brainer from where I'm standing.