My CBU 87's never hit

Praetorx

As said in the title my CBU 87's never hit the targets, I use CCIP mode and dive in on the target releasing a CBU on the target at ~4000-3000(whatever unit altitude is calculated in) I see the little explosions but none of them ever hit any of the targets

As said in the title my CBU 87's never hit the targets, I use CCIP mode and dive in on the target releasing a CBU on the target at ~4000-3000(whatever unit altitude is calculated in) I see the little explosions but none of them ever hit any of the targets

What type of target??

www.69squadrone.it

GigaByte X58A-UD7 rev 2.0 -- Intel i7 950 3.06 Ghz (OC 3.20) -- Geforce GTX 750Ti -- DDR3 Corsair 2000 mhz 12 GB -- HD SSD Crucial 1Tb --

HD WD raptor SATA2 150 GB x 10000 rpm -- Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W -- Windows 7 Professional 64bit --

Hotas Cougar n° 01909 -- Hotas Warthog n° 08070 -- Console MFD self made with X-key -- Monitor DELL 24 Inch

please... please... please... let next DCS module be a F18 :worthy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3000 to 4000ft seems rather high for dropping in CCIP.

Try dropping from a lower altitude to reduce the footprint of the bomblets.

Release altitude has no effect on bomblet spread. You need to adjust your HOF and RPM values accordingly. Check out Fish's nice tutorial here:

dcs_sig.jpg

500 used to be the default hof on 87s but when the new 97s came out it got moved to 1800. The lower the number the tighter the spread. At 500 there isn't a spot of dirt that doesn't get touched but the circle is smaller.

i7 2600k @ 4.4 / GTX 470 1.3gb / 8GB DDR3 1600 / TM Warthog #7440 / Toshiba 37" 1080p / OCZ Vertex3 SSD 128GB / Win7-64 / TIR4

I'm having the same issue. In training mode, Hammer says good hit on those targets, but it doesn't look like I hit them. I think it may be that I'm coming in too fast. Try hitting your speed brakes and slow down. Also try putting the pipper just before/under your target and stay straight(no turning while dropping). Just make sure your using CCRP for High drag bombs as they can take a wing off if you are in a dive while they are released.(Am I correct on this?)

i7-8700k 3.70mhz|64GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw V 3200|ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 8G GDDR6|AsRockZ390 Extreme4|2 Samsung 870QVO 1TB, 1 Samsung 860 QVO 1TB, 1 Samsung 860EVO 500GB|Corsair 750D|Corsair H-100i|Corsair AX750|LG 34GN850-B|Acer UT241Y|TM Cougar MFDs| Buddyfox UFC|TM Warthog HOTAS(Modified Spring/Slew Control Stick, Upgraded PCB, Stick Extension)|Saitek Combat Pedals|Corsair Nightsword|Corsair K70|TrackIR5|Custom A-10C Panels|

Just make sure your using CCRP for High drag bombs as they can take a wing off if you are in a dive while they are released.(Am I correct on this?)

Sorry, no that is not correct. As Eddie explained here, ripping your wing off in a dive bombing run is most likely due to over-G from a violent escape maneuver. The drag chutes are deployed after the bombs have cleared the aircraft. Moreover, high drag bombs are IIRC specifically meant to be used in CCIP mode, lowering the minimum safe altitude for release by quickly putting distance between the bomb and the aircraft. But anyway, the discussion was about the CBU-87, which IMO does not belong the category high drag bombs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Praetorx, at what altitude are your targets located? There is a known bug with release in CCRP mode of the CBU-97, it might be that it also affects the 87? (Good description of the erroneous behavior can be found here)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

As stated previously, HOF and RPM settings are of importance. Herewith an illustration of the extreme deployment scenarios possible when tinkering with the RPM/HOF settings - this and everything inbetween, depending on whether you are hunting elephant or budgie, there's a setting to suit all.

Slug:

a1bdc233.jpg

Birdshot:

a1493fbd.jpg

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• 7 months later...

I'm pretty much having the same kind of problem with the CBU's but to a more frustrating degree: I drop them (in CCRP) and keep an eye on my TGP MFCD and see the bombs hit, a huge amount of explosions all AROUND my target, literally around the target, but the target stays unaffected. It just sits there. First I supposed it was just a graphics problem, but the truck wasn't destroyed, I didn't even hit it! Neither the targeted truck or any of those around.

That's pretty much my regular scenario: I drop the CBU's watch them explode all round the target and don't kill my target, sometimes the guys around my target, but never the one I targeted.

I don't have a track of this (didn't think of it last night) but I'll try to make one the next time I get a chance to fly my Hog.

My advice is this:

1. Use CCRP

2. Use autopilot alt/hdg hold AFTER putting PBIL on target from 8 clicks away

3. use aileron trim to keep CCRP pipper wedged INSIDE PBIL (the more it is inside PBIL, the more accurate the delivery is)

4. Maintain ingress and release speed.

I'll post a quik vid schoon!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Just to go relate slightly to this topic, with CBU-97s I find that wind constantly screws up my hits. I was flying into a strong wind the other day, dropped the bomb right over a target and the wind blew the munitions on their parachutes like 200m in the opposite direction and hit absolutely nothing.

So my question is, is there any provision within the software to correct the 97/105 for high winds after the weapon deploys the sub-munitions or is the LASTE-WIND page only effective for correcting the fall of the main ordnance before it deploys the smaller munitions?

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Just to go relate slightly to this topic, with CBU-97s I find that wind constantly screws up my hits. I was flying into a strong wind the other day, dropped the bomb right over a target and the wind blew the munitions on their parachutes like 200m in the opposite direction and hit absolutely nothing.

So my question is, is there any provision within the software to correct the 97/105 for high winds after the weapon deploys the sub-munitions or is the LASTE-WIND page only effective for correcting the fall of the main ordnance before it deploys the smaller munitions?

I think you need to get more speed. 97's if they are stupid will hit 2/3 area on a bad day with heavy winds for me.

It might be a good idea also to increase HOF (or RPM, the setting for 97's whatever), so a larger print covers the area.

Why not try release WITH the wind.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I think you need to get more speed. 97's if they are stupid will hit 2/3 area on a bad day with heavy winds for me.

It might be a good idea also to increase HOF (or RPM, the setting for 97's whatever), so a larger print covers the area.

Why not try release WITH the wind.

I dont' see how any of that would really change anything since the wind causes a shift so large that its basically ineffective and if I increase HOF and other settings I wouldn't expect it to be particularly effective and net me more than 1 vehicle maybe?

Higher release just means the parachutes have farther to travel before reaching their activation altitude, meaning the wind can blow them even farther.

I mean... its pretty linear in terms of the problem. Wind pushes parachutes linear distance in a relatively staedy azimuth over time of fall from HOF. Good experience should allow me to know how much to lead the target with my pipper but that kind of defeats the purpose of all these super duper advanced ridiculously expensive munitions if I'm just going to eye ball it.

I mean, maybe I haven't entered my LASTE WIND data properly, but seems like something the computer ought to have an easy time compensating for considering the relatively more complex problems it handles with great accuracy.

CBU-97s are no WCMDs. Only CBU-103 (enhanced CBU-87s) and CBU-105 (enhanced CBU-97s) are wind corrected.

Keep that in mind. Both 87s and 97s are just "dumb bombs" in terms of delivery!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If it got tits or wings, it makes you trouble!!

I dont' see how any of that would really change anything since the wind causes a shift so large that its basically ineffective and if I increase HOF and other settings I wouldn't expect it to be particularly effective and net me more than 1 vehicle maybe?

Higher release just means the parachutes have farther to travel before reaching their activation altitude, meaning the wind can blow them even farther.

I mean... its pretty linear in terms of the problem. Wind pushes parachutes linear distance in a relatively staedy azimuth over time of fall from HOF. Good experience should allow me to know how much to lead the target with my pipper but that kind of defeats the purpose of all these super duper advanced ridiculously expensive munitions if I'm just going to eye ball it.

I mean, maybe I haven't entered my LASTE WIND data properly, but seems like something the computer ought to have an easy time compensating for considering the relatively more complex problems it handles with great accuracy.

Watch the smoke of destroyed vehicles and release up wind of your tgt, also set HOF parameters of 105's and 97's at 500-700 feet. You're right about setting the HOF higher affecting the drift, plus I haven't seen (noticeable) improvement in coverage increasing from 700 feet.

I don't even bother with 103/87's, I've found the same as you about hitting all around the targets, also last time I dropped on vehicles with troops around the 97/105's also target troops, so although that's kinda playing the (incorrectly implemented) system, it works.

CBU-97s are no WCMDs. Only CBU-103 (enhanced CBU-87s) and CBU-105 (enhanced CBU-97s) are wind corrected.

Keep that in mind. Both 87s and 97s are just "dumb bombs" in terms of delivery!!

Even dumb bombs are wind corrected by the onboard computer, or so I'm told they are, by CCRP. I gotta test more, and see if correct wind data in any way improves accuracy or if its just a fallacy of technique (as far as the sim is concerned).

As for visual correction, that seems like a stupid thing to be doing with a CCRP release so if a bomb can't reliably hit within the confines of CCRP with wind data I'm gonna have to seriously consider putting some work in to figure out mil corrections based on wind for the CCIP pipper.

also last time I dropped on vehicles with troops around the 97/105's also target troops, so although that's kinda playing the (incorrectly implemented) system, it works.

I'm not sure it actually targets troops... may be secondary explosions from the Vehicles kill them? Need to re-check in 1.2.2 but in DCS A-10C 1.1.1.1 they even seem to priorize on armor, ok they often hit one target multiple times, though.

Wind coorection is modelled correctly AFAIK, but only until the Dispenser opens, which with the Parachutes of the 97/105 leads to quite a margin of error with drift.

The idea to put the CCRP release point a bit downwind is not that bad.

If the targets are moving you need to consider a point in front of them with enough time to rise and acquire targets...:D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I was talking to a real A-10C pilot about CBU's a few days ago.

I too was frustrated about watching wind blow my nice cluster of bomblets off target.

When I asked how they do it, the answer was "combat offset" or kentucky windage.

SWAG and TLAR!

Win 10 64bit; 32 GB DDR4 3200 Ram; ASUS MoBo; 1TB SSD;Intel i7 8700K; GTX 1080ti 11GB; Thrustmaster Warthog;Odyssey + VR