Mustang First Take-Off and Landing: Post your Tracks/Vids

159th_Viper

I see u and I go to the same flying club. They taught me that first sign of trouble - any trouble, immediately pull back on the stick. :D

Yep, bad instincts abound when I am at the controls.:megalol:

EDIT: I was determined not to let go off of the runway that time, come hell or high water!!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team

For those that may have missed it, there are a couple of assists in Options / Misc under the P-51 tab. One is the option to turn rudder assist on and off. It defaults to on, so many of you may have been flying with this on. The other assist is a slider for takeoff difficulty. It defaults to zero assist.

Crashed in the first 2 attemps to take off, don't have a track of those. It'll take some practice to master the control of such a torque force (single propelled engine and about 1200 hp!).

This video shows the next 3 successfull (barelly) take offs and landings. Great sim!

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

For those that may have missed it, there are a couple of assists in Options / Misc under the P-51 tab.

"We don't need no stinkin' assists!":D:pilotfly:

You might have to kind of old to remember that one.

Thanks, Matt.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Good to hear :)

But, I have a feeling some may have auto rudder assist on and not realize it.

I did see some mention of that. I am the anal retentive type that looks at every option screen as soon as I start it up. Then I start mashing buttons.:D

• ED Team

Just took off using only keys as a rudder... USB port had disconnected CH pedals. :) I had not check it before TO. It's possible! :) And no assistant.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Just took off using only keys as a rudder... USB port had disconnected CH pedals. :) I had not check it before TO. It's possible! :) And no assistant.

Nice! I've tried that too- I wanted to test beta 2 and didn't have time to connect my joystick. Tookoff on keyboard alone, still I almost crashed:)

Until you have reached 150 mph it is better to just do a shallow angle climb.

Thanks for the tip:)

Edited by Corvus

Only my third serious attempt to land, after many tries at take-off, I use the X-52 with the twist rudder controls, I see pedals in my future

Intel i7-3770K,Windows 10 64,Noctua NH-U12S ,ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ,G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400,EVGA GTX 1080,ADATA XPG900x2 RAID 0, CM HAF XB Case,Thrustmaster Warthog,Combat Rudder Pedals,Logitech G930 with wireless TrackIR 5, 39" Insignia LED 120Hz Monitor, Oculus Rift

Whats the point of using assist, when you choose the DCS brand for it's fidelity, if using assists one could just as well buy any other run off the mill ww2sim where TO is easy.

I had my problems as well, for me the to run starts ok, but at some point, probably when the tail lifts, the nose begin to go everywhere. And yes i do use 5-7 degree rudder correction.

So reading a bit more, i decided to use a bit of flaps, 1 or 2 notches down, and hold the tail wherl dowm and let the plane fly itself off.

Funny because it's descriped as a min dist TO in the manual.

Luckely it actually helped somewhat with the direction stability as the wheel rudder transition

Not is feelt so heavily.

Getting better...

Only my third serious attempt to land, after many tries at take-off, I use the X-52 with the twist rudder controls, I see pedals in my future

You are getting there. Lower your flaps much much sooner. You do not want that instability they create when lowering just right before landing.

It worked, I'm airborne, I'm flying!!! yes!!!! OK, so how do I land ? :D

You mean we have to land too!;)

Yes :thumbup: Hold the stick all the way back even a bit longer I think.

Thanks.

I need to rewatch that from the pit but I was thinking that I pushed the stick forward to late which is why the nose was coming up before I was ready. Notice how it dips back toward the ground for a moment. I beleive that is when I moved the stick forward and then decided to let the plane lift.

My first takeoff was a complete disaster but strangely enough my first landing was ok. Didn't think I would be able to land it.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

8th takeoff, 8th landing, 8th crosswind landing.

Effective Beta2 not 1.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

After a week of trying I've finally took off and landed successfully, though it weren't pretty. lol

Nice. The zig-zag across the runway was well done. I like to check what's in front of me too!;)

...Mustang Sally...

I could not help but notice that you used a truly excellent version of that tune. The Commitments do that so well.:thumbup::thumbup:

EDIT: Didn't want to clutter the page with a full link but...http://youtu.be/0EFTfM0Rd8Y

Edited by cichlidfan

Is itt normal that I took off and landed 4 times before my first crash?I find the FM very intuitive and so easy to fly.Other FM's where things happen and I have no idea why but this FM makes sense to me.Also,I take off full power now as I find it easier this way where I just hold stick back for a little while and concentrate on staying straight.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle