Mustang First Take-Off and Landing: Post your Tracks/Vids

159th_Viper

Thx VIMANAMAN :-)

Really looking fwd for that UH-1H ;-), and for being able to one day join you online ;-)

Yeah the vids of the Huey look really bloody nice! - I seriously can't wait either!

BUT I dread to think what it's going to do to my rudder control with the Stang though :( :lol:

Some online fun would be good - but finding time short even for SP at the mo - will PM you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
I got it going down the runway but pitched up real high and ah.."landed" suddenly :music_whistling:

I am having fun with this, maybe I'll get it in the air someday!:thumbup:

No flaps used during take-off for such a heavily loaded bird ... tsk tsk. Prop pitch set to full fine?

I wonder what happened to all the ordnance on the wings; during crash landing it disappeared.

Edited by Hans-Joachim Marseille

Sometimes I still can't believe how powerful that engine is. Things can escalate out of control very quickly.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

No flaps used during take-off for such a heavily loaded bird ... tsk tsk. Prop pitch set to full fine?

I wonder what happened to all the ordnance on the wings; during crash landing it disappeared.

Flaps aren't required at all for a take off with only 10 HVARs loaded. The P51 will take off fine without flaps with both HVARs and a couple of bombs loaded - especially if you get up to the full military power. Flaps were mostly just used for minimum run take-offs afaik.

Flaps aren't required at all for a take off with only 10 HVARs loaded. The P51 will take off fine without flaps with both HVARs and a couple of bombs loaded - especially if you get up to the full military power. Flaps were mostly just used for minimum run take-offs afaik.

Flaps were used with heavy ordinance and full fuel loads from what I remember. It's in the pilot training manual.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

I think my problem was I held the stick back too long. If you notice, a squad mate pointed out the tail doesn't rise at all until I leave the ground. Then it pitches up very quickly. I have had a big problem keeping it going straight down the runway so I held the tail wheel locked for way too long and my AOA was high. Even with a few degrees of flaps I still would have stalled and pancaked it. On the bright side I didn't blow up and walked away!:thumbup:

BSD Discord , BSD Website

If it doesn't hover, it just sucks and blows

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

• ED Team
I think my problem was I held the stick back too long. If you notice, a squad mate pointed out the tail doesn't rise at all until I leave the ground. Then it pitches up very quickly. I have had a big problem keeping it going straight down the runway so I held the tail wheel locked for way too long and my AOA was high. Even with a few degrees of flaps I still would have stalled and pancaked it. On the bright side I didn't blow up and walked away!:thumbup:

You are right except only one thing: flaps did not help to be more controllable at low speed. They increase lft so you are airborn at lower speed that makes the plane harder to control against the prop effects. THe flaps works good only if the plane is heavy and it requires higher speed to take-off.

Anyway, 20 deg of flaps - and the aircraft with full tanks and payloads can safely take-off even from three point attitude.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Flaps were used with heavy ordinance and full fuel loads from what I remember. It's in the pilot training manual.

Ah ok.. I stand corrected then! Maybe I should try taking off fully loaded from one of the shorter runways sometime. Most of the runways are more than long enough for a take-off without flaps even when fully loaded I've found.

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh, the Mustang is such a dirty [edit] to land, 20 attempts at landing and the landing gear didn't survive a single time. Never ever have flown a plane in a sim that was so freaking hard to land :((

Even the A-10 was 1000 times easier to get down

Edited by sobek

"Even the A-10"? The A-10 is particularly easy to land, due to its wide spaced sturdy main gear and the slow approach speed.

If you post a track with one of your atttempts, i'm pretty certain that the community can get you sorted out.

Also, please mind your language when posting.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Gosh, the Mustang is such a dirty [edit] to land, 20 attempts at landing and the landing gear didn't survive a single time. Never ever have flown a plane in a sim that was so freaking hard to land :((

See, Do:

t9yTD5wJy2g

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

Thank you for the videos, but I'll stay with my good old hog for now. She is forgiving, not like these tail draggers...

Shouldn't give up so easily..you can always join in on one of our session and we can help or go to the Virtual Aerobatic server and TS and the members over there will be a great asset for you..I highly recommend it...:thumbup:

Edited by Double_D

[/Table]

Landing is one of the hardest things to get to grips with the Mustang.

Tips I can give:

• Dont be too slow, go over the threshold straight and wings level at 150knts
  • Be no more then 150ft as you pass threshold unless you are on one of the big runways like Sukhumi.
  • Dont try and slam it onto the ground
  • Keep the downwind leg short so as you turn base and then final you have minimal time with the runway out of sight
  • As you pass threshold idle the throttle, counter with the rudder and let the aircraft glide onto its wheels
  • In real aircraft pilots do something known as "circuit bashing" I recommend every P-51 pilot do this at least 10 times with no crashes before they can feel confident of doing it. Take off turn around to downwind, do base then finals, land and take off again. Rinse and repeat.
  • If it doesnt feel right, slowly add power and go around and do it again. Better a 2nd attempt then a ball of flame

As D said, there is normally a few P51 pilots on the VA server, or hit up one of the Mustang vets and they will normally be able to help you out

Pman

The main problem to me is that the Mustaqng has enormous sink rates even when the nose is lowered a few degrees in the approach. It's also nearly impossible to me to predict where the glide slope is pointing to.

And thank you for the invitation, I will have to see, if I can join you b/c of time zones.

The main problem to me is that the Mustaqng has enormous sink rates even when the nose is lowered a few degrees in the approach. It's also nearly impossible to me to predict where the glide slope is pointing to.

And thank you for the invitation, I will have to see, if I can join you b/c of time zones.

Virtual Aerobatic server is pretty much active at all hours...:thumbup:

[/Table]

Thats really best answered in 2 points

First the sink rate plummets if you go too slow, see point 1 of my list above. Keep the speed around 150knts until your wings level and ready to begin the final decent to landing. This will allow you to control the sink rate, as at 150knts with full flaps you can actually climb out of a dive no problems.

The second about predicting the glide scope this comes with experience and keeping the downwind leg short, dont try and do a long straight approach in the stang, you wont have a great view of the runway and hence the glide path will be more on faith then prediction. If you know exactly where the runway is in relation to the trajectory of the aircraft controlling the glide scope is just a case of managing your speed bleedoff, most stang pilots in the sim have a tendency to stall the aircraft onto the runway.

Do you fly standard patterns when landing? Ie: downwind, base and finals?

Pman

Edited by Pman

• ED Team

There is a simple way to find the point you glide to: as you watch the landscape before you, you can see that the certain point on it is steady regarding the canopy. Use a gunsight frame as a reference point or any point you prefer. As you have 150 mph (130 for unarmoured plane) and 25 inches your sink rate will be moderate. As you have right speed use throttle to correct your sink rate.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Phew, I finally got it. I didn't flare enough that was the main problem. No beautiful landings yet, but at least the ground crew does not have to make overtime repairing my landing gear anymore.

there you go..don't give up on this beauty...:thumbup:

[/Table]

• 1 month later...

Woohoo! Landed BOTH the P51 AND the UH1 for the first time to-nite! P51: Short final, chopped the throttle over the threshold, flattened my descent and it glided to the runway, no bounce, gear and wings intact! (I've gone through several sets of both up till now! Also looked at a lot of grass through the remnants of my canopy)

UH1? wrong forum....sorry, but while my landings didn't equal my takeoffs, they did outnumber the crashes. YESSSSSSSS!!!