Eye Candy - 3d Cockpit

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all. I have been looking for a site as rich in resources and help as I have seen here. I am new here so I apologize if I seem behind the curve. I am building as close to scale 1:1 cockpit of the Typhoon and stumbled across your forum. Those panels are incredible. Would you object if I asked how you designed them? I am also looking for the actual dimensions of all the panels. I can upload pics of how far I am on this Flight Sim if you all want. After 18 months and no help from or responses from the Manufacturer on the measurements I actually took dozens of photos I had downloaded and scaled what I have off of the MFD buttons. It has been a tedious process and I am still not as close as I would like to be. Any asistance is always appreciated and I hope to hear responses.

Thanks again

I doubt the maufacturer would answer you, you might be better calling Conningsby:

General Visits including Aviation Groups

Visits Protocol Officer - Tel: 01526 347204

If you explain yourself, they may put you in touch with someone, they have 1 - 1 mock ups as desktop training aids as well as the real deal - they may have some dimensions they can assist with.

Exactly, like the end scene in "Predator". Did that picture get obfuscated before release?

No I didn't, but looking at it now, nothing makes sence on the most of the displays/buttons etc. I know what should be on them, but I can't make head nor tail of them either :smilewink:

I don't know the EF that well, so I'll assume the buttons have small 2-line text displays integrated, to display the function of the key in different modes / on different screens of the MFDs?

Like the A10C, which displays the functions of the keys on the MFD itself, next to the key?

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

Cool idea, and a tad more ergonomic as it doesn't take up main display space, but I can see why the price of these fighters just kept going up and up :)

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

Exactly, like the end scene in "Predator". Did that picture get obfuscated before release?

Sync between refresh rate of the buttons lighting and cam problem ?

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Sync between refresh rate of the buttons lighting and cam problem ?

For ALL buttons at once? We should be able to at least read some of them in that case...

Since the typical LCD switches (see an example) have a refresh rate of 64 Hz, I doubt the camera would have problems with taking a photo. Try using your camera and take a pic of your monitor (with a typical refresh rate of 60Hz), see if you can catch the flickering...

On a certain well-known aviation photography website is a photograph of the cockpit with the avionics powered up, and you can clearly see the button captions. It claims to have been taken whilst the aircraft was in the factory.

Best regards,

Tango.

Out of interest Ells, do you have any plans for a two seater? I appreciate it would be a lot of extra work but they are damn sexy ;)

I think I'm just a sucker for two seaters mind, most look nicer than their single seat counterparts imo...

You are not the only one with this. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

In some frames, some buttons can be read... Top left: Lock VV, top right FLIR.

The way everything is flickering, though, it makes me wonder if they didn't install some sort of special military refresh rate for the buttons (and the HUD, for that matter) that makes cameras useless for video and still shooting? For example, use a refresh rate of 100 Hz, but only display 1/3 of the characters at a time, so at no single moment the entire character is visible.

The naked eye wouldn't see the difference (the character pieces would blend together), while cameras would record them obfuscated (except at really slow shutter speeds, like 1/4 of a second).

Look at this: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany---Air/Eurofighter-EF-2000-Typhoon/0357473/L

There are many factors that affect how a camera sees something. Many cheaper cameras (even the not-so-cheap cameras) scan the image array for CHANGED pixels, which is why you get weird effects (best seen with propellers on aircraft).

http://www.peteconnolly.co.uk/blog/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/strange_propeller_effect2.jpg

This is the result of the way the CCD array is scanned and processed by the camera. It's a cheap way to get increased frame rate out of a slow (cheap) sensor.

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango
  • Like 1

Thanks, Tango, for the link :)

I'll admit I was having difficulty finding that certain well known aviation photography website you mentioned in your previous post :D

http://www.peteconnolly.co.uk/blog/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/strange_propeller_effect2.jpg

This is the result of the way the CCD array is scanned and processed by the camera. It's a cheap way to get increased frame rate out of a slow (cheap) sensor.

While we're getting a little off topic, I want to correct you. The image you posted is a thing called "rolling shutter" and affects CMOS chip based cameras, not CCD, because whole sensor is exposed at once thus you can't get rolling effect.

There is also nice video showing why this prop distortion happens:

;)

Thanks for the correction on the mechanics!! I thought it only looked for changed pixels (less processing required to scan the array) thus faster to update each frame.

It's still a cheap method though. :D Same way that "HD" was actually a step backwards for image fidelity.

Best regards,

Tango.

At a wild stab in the dark, I would say they wouldn't be that different.

:music_whistling:

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Thanks for the correction on the mechanics!! I thought it only looked for changed pixels (less processing required to scan the array) thus faster to update each frame.

It's still a cheap method though. :D Same way that "HD" was actually a step backwards for image fidelity.

Best regards,

Tango.

Slightly O/T

I worked in the security industry and CCTV was my speciality. The digital recorders and transmission systems use conditional refresh or full frame refresh to store and transmit images. The conditional refresh is what you are thinking of where the units take a reference frame and hen the next 20 frames are just the differences from that, DVD works in much the same way too. It means you can store a much longer recording time on a limited space, but can have problems in play back of an individual frame. Full frame refresh records every frame in full and takes a much greater volume of he storage medium to hold an equivalent length of recording, but each individual frame is immediately available to be viewed. At home I use a system that uses full frame refresh to store and transmit pictures over the network.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron