Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you use to get ROF working on the Rift? I have ROF and would love to try it out on the Rift.

TriDef Ignition supports it out of the box, mostly.

DCS works reasonably well with Nthusim/Opentrack. IL2 '46 is sweetness with Nthusim/Opentrack. Falcon BMS 4.32 brought tears to my eyes with Nthusim/Opentrack.

But all of it is a somewhat frustrating, hack filled adventure. Payoff is nice if you are a simhead, though.

Edited by woodsman

DCS P-51D Rifted-How To

From the Nthusm boards:

Re: Nthusim HMD Bug and Feature Testing Feedback

Postby leonpo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Short report of testing DCS P-51D on Windows 8 64bit with OpenTrack and Nthusim HMD.

The setup was very quick. Below the main steps.

NThusim setup:

separation (70,0) - did not feel any difference for any setting between [0,100]. May be it is only for actual SBS 3D.

Zoom: (100,200) - otherwise wrong aspect ration

Desktop Correction, Look Around, Mouse - all not selected

OpenTrack download from: http://ananke.laggy.pk/opentrack/

Important to start OpenTrack before Nthusim HMD otherwise it can not receive tracking information. However then "Look around" feature will not work either.

Settings: Tracker Source: Rift, GameProtocol: FreeTrack 2.0, all curves on 1-1 relation with movement (straight line from 0,0 - 180,180)

Display Configuration: NVIDIA GTX680, "Duplicate" mode with 1280x800 resolution. I have tried to use "Extend" mode with Rift as Primary display however it was not usable: I could not select any menu options in DCS UI while looking via Rift. "Look around" feature was not available because of OpenTrack. May be when Nthusim HMD will support head tracking, the problem will be solved. It is important because using "Duplicate" mode is not recommended for Rift because of additional lag.

In DCS I have setup 45 degrees FOV in SnapView.Lua for P-51D however it was too zoomed in so I have changed it in game with "/" and "*".

Instrument readability was much better than in WarThunder or IRacing. I dont know how to explain it, but i was able to read all main instruments: AIS, ALT, V/S. Manifold, RPM etc. Even for different zoom levels. However in order to be able to read instruments, it was required to keep head steady, without any movement.

Outside view also was very reasonable, no problem to spot airports, hours, trains, cars. Did not try to spot other plans.

Head movement was not very smooth (comparing to IRacing and Warthunder with native head tracking support) with detectable lag that immediately caused me very light nausea (did not have any problems in iR and WT). Framerate around 120 FPS.

In general, I still had a strong feeling looking via binocular and not feeling like in IRacing of actually being there. May be because of not optimal zoom level and lack of SBS 3D.

However , it is way better than playing with displays (i have cockpit with 3x32in LCD displays and motion seat).

Did not try with motion enabled yet, will update

Did also quick test with X-Plane, without flying or head tracking, worked great. Will do more detailed test tonight.

Regards

Leon

Already got VorpX as well, will try to get it running with DCS today or tomorrow evening and report back with my findings.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Ok, so I did play around with VorpX quite a bit. It is not really ready yet and won't be ready for DCS for quite some time - it does not support 64bit game binaries as of yet! So the driver simply won't work with DCS unless Ralf comes up with 64bit support.

Also no luck with getting the Star Citizen hangar to work with it (for the same reason, it is 64bit only).

It works nice with FSX, but getting headtracking to work is quite a pain, I resorted to FaceTrackNoIR to read the Rift's tracker data and feed it to FSX. But the 3D really works well in FSX DX9, the sense of flying definitely is there!

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Ok, so I did play around with VorpX quite a bit. It is not really ready yet and won't be ready for DCS for quite some time - it does not support 64bit game binaries as of yet! So the driver simply won't work with DCS unless Ralf comes up with 64bit support.

Also no luck with getting the Star Citizen hangar to work with it (for the same reason, it is 64bit only).

It works nice with FSX, but getting headtracking to work is quite a pain, I resorted to FaceTrackNoIR to read the Rift's tracker data and feed it to FSX. But the 3D really works well in FSX DX9, the sense of flying definitely is there!

Yep, only Nthusim HMD has DX11 and 64-bit at the moment. I just wish we were further along in development.

There seems to be another prototype floating around:

https://twitter.com/aarondeandavies/status/390056443170549760/photo/1

It looks slightly different to the HD prototype they showed at GamesCom.

Exciting times. A direct competitor to the OR has arrived, and drop the screen technology for a mirror system originaly contracted by the army, that beams light directly into your eyes which apparently translates into much higher image quality/authenticity and is far more comfortable for the eyes (no screen to focus on, your eyes relax completely and the beam focuses for you). It is explained that compared to screen VR (OR) that if using the Oculus Rift feels like looking at a screen picturing, say, a window to the outside, then the beam tech feels like looking through the real window directly. Coming early 2014 in a consumer version & consumer friendly price range. Definitely following that too.

http://reviews.cnet.com/wearable-tech/avegant-virtual-retinal-display/4505-34900_7-35828603.html

A crowdfunding might be imminent.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Exciting times. A direct competitor to the OR has arrived, and drop the screen technology for a mirror system originaly contracted by the army, that beams light directly into your eyes which apparently translates into much higher image quality/authenticity and is far more comfortable for the eyes (no screen to focus on, your eyes relax completely and the beam focuses for you). It is explained that compared to screen VR (OR) that if using the Oculus Rift feels like looking at a screen picturing, say, a window to the outside, then the beam tech feels like looking through the real window directly. Coming early 2014 in a consumer version & consumer friendly price range. Definitely following that too.

http://reviews.cnet.com/wearable-tech/avegant-virtual-retinal-display/4505-34900_7-35828603.html

A crowdfunding might be imminent.

It has lenses, so it's not "direct" to the eye. They don't give much detail on the technology, but I suspect that they've taken DLP technology and instead of projecting the reflected light on a screen, they are throwing it directly to the eye. A cool concept, it may be something really cool to look at, but I think they are putting a lot of palaver (is that word right?) with the topic of the "virtual retinal display", which is a controversial concept by itself.

It has lenses, so it's not "direct" to the eye. They don't give much detail on the technology, but I suspect that they've taken DLP technology and instead of projecting the reflected light on a screen, they are throwing it directly to the eye. A cool concept, it may be something really cool to look at, but I think they are putting a lot of palaver (is that word right?) with the topic of the "virtual retinal display", which is a controversial concept by itself.

This isn't news, and I don't get why people get this excited for stuff that has been around for 30 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_retinal_display

This isn't news, and I don't get why people get this excited for stuff that has been around for 30 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_retinal_display

Because the concept is fascinating, but the materialization is like... not possible.

This is the interesting part, the 'talk' of that article of the wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Virtual_retinal_display

There is a part where it's explained that one would need to surgically remove the eye lenses to use a "real" virtual retinal display.

Because the concept is fascinating, but the materialization is like... not possible.

This is the interesting part, the 'talk' of that article of the wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Virtual_retinal_display

There is a part where it's explained that one would need to surgically remove the eye lenses to use a "real" virtual retinal display.

I think he's talking about the smartphones sitting on the desk and projecting image into your eyes, those are impossible. With the use of lenses, freshnel?, you should be able to do this with an HMD system.

I surprised I haven't seen anybody posting their experiences with the oculus rift and dcs.

I managed to configure blackshark 1 to use the OR vie the tridef drivers. The effect is amazing. My flying has never been so smooth. Hovering felt natural, even easy with the autopilot off. I was always a nervous lander but the OR on I could pick out my spot 2 miles out, maintain a solid line down to the pad and touch down with class. Really I can't tell you how much more natural an experience it is.

I can tell you the gauges are usable. It's nice that with the wide fov most gauges are visible with a glance of the eye rather than a move of the head that was always needed with trackir. You can't read digits but you can see needles and that's enough once you've seen the gauge up close once.

The bad: frame rate, resolution and lack of positional tracking.

I have a beefy machine but with tridef running at 90 degrees fov I can't keep the fps above 60 except in the most empty of regions. If the game had native support I think this wouldn't be such a problem. Please, please, please ED patch in support. I will pay and so will others once they try OR with DCS.

The resolution of course is limited. The consumer version will fix this but I don't care I won't be flying the blackshark again without the OR it's just too satisfying.

I am going to try patching in the trackir to solve the positional tracking.

If you have blackshark 1 and the OR I urge you to get the tridef trial and give it go. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I got to try a dev kit the other day and having used other vr headset's like the vr920 and owning a trackir I was instantly impressed by the headtracking and even the res wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't get to try dcs or anything like it and I was wondering just how difficult it would be to read the gauges in a cockpit.