Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Oculus Home opens automatically when you start any VR program that uses the latest runtimes. You have to leave it open. Closing it closes the VR application.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm obviously a RIFT guy initially but I really appreciate Sentry's posts because he is genuinely invested in VR and helping people get their Vive working properly.

For the "particular person" you might consider adding them to your ignore list.

"Go to users profile, under user list, choose add to ignore list."

There are folks that post in this thread that aren't buying VR and for some reason are just out to troll. I've added every single one to my ignore list and suddenly this thread is a joy to read every day. :)

I don't have a problem with Sentry, and he's not the "particular person" I was talking about. I could have put that particular person on ignore, but they he would have gotten away with posting crap that those less familiar with VR might use in their choice of a VR headset. I have no problem with people buying the Vive, as its a very good VR headset. IMHO the Rift is a better choice for flight sims, but I may have to buy a Vive myself depending the max IPD adjustment of these units.

Yeah, on my server box, if I close Oculus Store while running an App it causes all sorts of App Crashes.. lol.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'd take that gif with a pinch of salt personally. I take photos through the CV1 lens and it looks loads better on the phone screen after its finished with it. I can have the phone take both of those photos off the CV1 if I wanted to...

I'd like to try a Vive as I still believe the rift is deliberately softened in the middle of the lens to reduce SDE (which is pretty critical for simmers).Luckily DCS is still playable with it but could have been even better!

CV1 is pretty good though and I guess Vive is pretty good too. Just buy whatever one you want and help VR development! I can't wait to see where the tech goes!

Here's the Nitty, Ran DCS on Server Box, since my gaming rig is not available at the moment.

The "Resolution" Problem alot of people like to point out, effects everyone, w/ or w/o Rift and TrackIR, (except maybe 40 Inch 4K HDTV users).

With DCS + Track IR (or NUMPAD Movement), I can look at panel, but I Still needed to Zoom in a lil to read some switches, Running at 1440p 24' Screen

With DCS + Rift, I can Look at Panels and Read most of the text, and still need to lean in a lil to read some, then again I know most of the A-10C's switches without reading labels anyway.

So It's about the Same, Clarity Wise, but differs in how you react to smaller labels,

The MAIN Difference is, w/ Track IR you can still Zoom, w/ Rift you have to actually move your head.

IMHO it feels more natural this way. and I Like it a lot better than turning my head left, while looking out the right side of my eyes, and FoV Zooming in and out etc.

So You're trading off Overcranked Ratio Tracking w/ Zoom In and Zoom Out on a 2D Image, With 1:1 head Tracking/Movement and 3D Depth of Field.

IMHO, I likely wont go back to Eyefinity anytime soon.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I may have to buy a Vive myself depending the max IPD adjustment of these units.

Sorry, I remember you asking about that a while back... The CV1's lens spacing mode shows the IPD setting as you adjust the slider. On mine, the range shows up as 58 to 69mm.

Hope that helps.

PS- Playing around with the slider, I find my setting is 64, but within +/- 3 mm of that is still comfortable.

Edited by KLR Rico

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Gazelle video with DK2 will be posted by Polychop shortly.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Can't Get DCS working with Oculus 1.3.1...

Hi Guys,

I have tried it all:

- Newest drivers for graphics card (970)

- Newest Oculus software (1.3.1)

- I have "auto detect Rift" checked in the sim - I also have aero interfact turned off

- Steam 1.5 version of DCS - I have tried both "openbeta" and standard versions

pCars and P3D both work flawlessly but when I launch DCS from Steam it launches to the monitor every time.

One thought - I had the open beta version of DCS installed and when I change to the non-open beta version steam does not download anything - is it possible that, even though Steam says it has dropped the openbeta, that it is still running the openbeta exe?

Any Ideas? I can't wait to see ATW at work in DCS - it works so well in p3d!

Thanks,

Mars

Hi Guys,

I have tried it all:

- Newest drivers for graphics card (970)

- Newest Oculus software (1.3.1)

- I have "auto detect Rift" checked in the sim - I also have aero interfact turned off

- Steam 1.5 version of DCS - I have tried both "openbeta" and standard versions

pCars and P3D both work flawlessly but when I launch DCS from Steam it launches to the monitor every time.

One thought - I had the open beta version of DCS installed and when I change to the non-open beta version steam does not download anything - is it possible that, even though Steam says it has dropped the openbeta, that it is still running the openbeta exe?

Any Ideas? I can't wait to see ATW at work in DCS - it works so well in p3d!

Thanks,

Mars

Right now Stable and Open Beta are the same Version.

Make sure you have the Oculus software set to allow external Applications.

make sure Oculus home software is running.

That is indeed the current one, so your updater is good.

You might try a repair (\bin\DCS_updater.exe). If that doesn't work, then I'd probably clean reinstall next. Before you do, make a copy of your DCS folder under users, and if your clean installation works you can reuse the control profiles.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

I suspect it's already been answered, but the thought of going through 600 odd pages is a little daunting so please forgive me.

How does zoom and aircraft spotting work with the Rift ? I always have the devil of a time balancing zoom with orientation and situational awareness normally, when using TrackIR. My Rift will arrive, one day, but while waiting I'm rather curious how it works in game.

IMHO it feels more natural this way. and I Like it a lot better than turning my head left, while looking out the right side of my eyes, and FoV Zooming in and out etc.

So You're trading off Overcranked Ratio Tracking w/ Zoom In and Zoom Out on a 2D Image, With 1:1 head Tracking/Movement and 3D Depth of Field.

This is why, despite my health issues and extremely cracky neck, I hope I'll be able to try air to air combat soon - something I've not been able to do for over 10 years with TrackIR. It's not so much the neck movement, but the medication that messes with your senses.

I am encouraged by the pictures showing the Rift and Vive in ED - but don't forget that ED was built from the start to run in VR, too. I wouldn't expect DCS World to be the same.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Im really looking forward to the Gazelle. Here's the Polychop video I mentioned earlier featuring dk2.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051