Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to see if edge is optimized engine for get full use of CPU multicore and GPU,...

EDGE will support multiple GPUs but has not been stated, making it doubtful, to be multi-threaded.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Oculus Rift seated Backwards

Hello,

I just downloaded DCS tonight and got it running with the DK2 Rift.

Everything works fine, but I am seated backwards in the plane with the DK2 facing the back of the seat in the aircraft.

When I turn around to view the front - OMG - the detail is incredible.

Please let me know how I can turn the view 180 degrees so I am facing front.

Thx!

Asus Rampage V X99 | Win 7 x64 | i7 5930 @ 3.5 GHz | 32GB RAM | Nvidia GTX780ti | Logitech G940 | Oculus Rift DK2

pressing the 5 key on the numpad does work, but it zooms out the field of view so it feels like your eyeballs are attached to the seat instead of inside the pilots head, you can try putting your hand over the camera, sometimes that causes it to ergomagically recalibrate without zooming out the view so much.

really, i hope ED just enables FOV-on-slider like it is without the rift, solve all our problems, screw "best practices", for a flight sim, being able to see is more important than any best practice; or is the best practice...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One problem I am finding is that I do not have the ability to lean forward and back. My head does not move forward in the cockpit. Is there a setting I need to change?

Also, the mouse does not work when I am in the aircraft with the DK2. So I cannot make menu options.

Asus Rampage V X99 | Win 7 x64 | i7 5930 @ 3.5 GHz | 32GB RAM | Nvidia GTX780ti | Logitech G940 | Oculus Rift DK2

DK2 won't move in "z" (lean forward and lean sideways)

Hi - Everything works great on my machine except I cannot lean forward and sideways with the DK2 when flying the intro Mustang. As I lean, the whole screen moves forward or sideways instead of my head. Is there a setting or a fix for this that I may be missing?

Thank you.

Edited by EddieJames

Check your sync cable, the one that looks like a headphone jack and goes between the camera and the little box near the usb connector, and that the camera is detected in the oculus config.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thx Hadwell - you gave me the idea to check it in the Oculus config utility and when I ran the demo scene there it would not lean forward either. So I did a re-boot and it fixed it. Thx for the help.

I received my Dk2 yesterday, at last! (ordered in august) and for the sake of my life I can't make it work with DCS. Monitor flashes, Rift shows nothing, the graphics card's driver stalls and resets itself... I updated DCS, the Oculus runtime is latest, nvidia drivers is latest. Maybe compatibility is broken with last DCS update. I wonder what is that so weird that DCS is trying to do to the Rift that is the only application I've tried so far that has problems.

By the way, I love the way LFS handles the Rift. The virtual screen for menu, in-game options HUD, etc works fantastic. I hope ED takes note.

I received my Dk2 yesterday, at last! (ordered in august) and for the sake of my life I can't make it work with DCS. Monitor flashes, Rift shows nothing, the graphics card's driver stalls and resets itself... I updated DCS, the Oculus runtime is latest, nvidia drivers is latest. Maybe compatibility is broken with last DCS update. I wonder what is that so weird that DCS is trying to do to the Rift that is the only application I've tried so far that has problems.

By the way, I love the way LFS handles the Rift. The virtual screen for menu, in-game options HUD, etc works fantastic. I hope ED takes note.

1) You may or may not have to stop the Oculus service (via oculus setting). IIRC, the latest update negates the need to do this.

2) Run DCS in windows mode

3) In Oculus setting, turn off Direct HMD mode (wording is something like that)

4) In DCS, set it to auto detect Rift.

5) You may or may not have to set the Rift monitor to portrait/landscape. On mine, I had to switch it from on to the other.

that ought to do it.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Maybe double check your cabling and power? If not, uninstall Rift, repair DCS and give it a shot again.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well, it appears to me that I'm finally able to fly in DCS multiplayer with the DK2 Rift; without having to disable rift service and without putting Rift at primary monitor.

The controls, however, are a little buggy (e.g., taxiing to runway - steering is a bit hectic but clears up).

Is there a teak for clearing this up?

I've got it figured out.. I was going into 'the pit' too fast and not allowing the program & oculus to sync, during the start of Multi-player. I made some adjustments in the 'options' menu; Also, I increased the waypoint font in the F-15 HUD display along with changing the HUD color (R-CNTRL/H). Pixelation is not much of a problem, but can still improve. I'm sure that will be fixed when the consumers edition of oculus is out. This DCS/Oculus is awesome!!!

I've got it figured out.. I was going into 'the pit' too fast and not allowing the program & oculus to sync, during the start of Multi-player. I made some adjustments in the 'options' menu; Also, I increased the waypoint font in the F-15 HUD display along with changing the HUD color (R-CNTRL/H). Pixelation is not much of a problem, but can still improve. I'm sure that will be fixed when the consumers edition of oculus is out. This DCS/Oculus is awesome!!!

How do you change the default hud font? It's tooooo small for the Rift...I can't read any of it :(

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Just wanted to share my lessons learned with you guys. I've been having stuttering issues with DK2 and DCS. I stumbled upon an article for dk2 where guys were recommending using Dxtory. It is a program that I believe is for image and video capture but it has a great FPS limiter. Before this I was trying to use Nvidia inspector with no luck. Dxtory works very well and makes the DCS cockpits almost as smooth as the oculus utility demo. Just download it and set the fps under the CPU tab to 75. Enjoy!

Just the note though, I still have a distinct vertical jutter only on one eye. Not sure what causes it.

Edited by Buznee

About Oculus...

Hey folks,

Been thinking a lot recently about the Oculus and DCS. I had a shot of Dk1 quite a while back now and wasnt immediately quite as amazed as I was expecting to be. Mostly due to the crummy resolution and partly because the first couple of minutes turned my stomach; but the more I played though the more I lost track of the poor resolution and got into it.

Anyway... DK2 is out and I haven't tried it - but the word on the street is the resolution still isn't good enough to read your gauges and switchgear without leaning in.

Edit: for some reason my original post didn't include the most important paragraph:

With Crescent Bay on the horizon I will be first in line to buy it IF someone can convince me that it's possible to get a detailed enough image out of such a small screen. I understand they are rumoured to be 1440 screens... But I just can't see how the pixels can be so small and accurate that my eyes (no glasses/contact lenses needed) will be able to make out the instruments...

Otherwise I'll probably be looking at superwide monitors and TIR5 (I have TIR4 at the mo but it's on its last legs)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies!

Edited by Warthog_Farmer

I have heard the same about guages. I will find out first hand in some weeks, but at the least the resolution has increased from DK1 along with reduced latency and improved head tracking which should help with the puke factor. I got to try the DK1 and DK2 and the 2 has noticeably better resolution. My hope is CV1 ups it even more.

Anyway... DK2 is out and I haven't tried it - but the word on the street is the resolution still isn't good enough to read your gauges and switchgear without leaning in

Which is one of the reasons Oculus cautions people not to buy it unless they are developer's (or at least understand that it is not ready for prime time).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: