Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Which is one of the reasons Oculus cautions people not to buy it unless they are developer's (or at least understand that it is not ready for prime time).

Heh. I wonder what percentage breakdown is of consumer vs developer of the DevKits. I would reckon majority consumer who saved their pennies for a glimpse of the future.

The question still remains - is it physically possible to produce a detailed enough image from such a small screen?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well one of the Oculus team(forgot who) mentioned that they would need 8k per eye to get the same visual density of a monitor. As to the resolution of monitor he is mentioning I would think 1080p.

I think for something like DCS it will be a wait and see kind of thing.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

The question still remains - is it physically possible to produce a detailed enough image from such a small screen?

There's the one thing that is easy to overlook around here. Oculus/FB will still have a winner even if you can't quite read the gauges, which I suspect may end up being the case for CV1, since there will still be so many games that it will work extremely well with.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Even if they had the display resolution to enable you to see all the switches and gauges (8k, is it?), you'd need a $10K PC to drive it... at least for today. Give it a few years.

The interesting thing is that the human eye doesn't even have that great of resolution for the majority of it's FOV, it's just that your central vision is so sharp & your brain is so good at filling in the gaps, it just *feels* like you have good resolving power.

It's really seems to be a waste to have to drive a whole display at these high resolutions just to satisfy that tiny, but super important, portion of overall vision. I wonder if it'd be feasible to use eye-tracking to only render the full resolution in the area where the eye is pointing, and downscale the peripheral areas on the fly. Of course, hardware wise, you'd need to have the full resolution available to the whole display, but it'd help with the processing power.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Well i am a lucky owner of oculus DK2 and to be very honest with you i dont think it will ever be any good for a hard core flight sim. You need as you need to see your controls. Now using oculus on something like a sim racing is a different story all together. And i just feel that we need so much more resolution to make it really usable and i dont think the technology is there yet.

The plugin for prepared has a quick zoom and it is quite functional, no side effects.

This is my take on the gauges. you can't really read them. Who knows what sort of resolution will be required or if it will happen with the CV1. Secondly, depending what gauges you are talking about depends if you need to read them. I can glance at some gauges and clearly see where the needle is pointing. I don't need to know what value it is as I basically know from where the needle points.

Thats the gauges, the next question is does it matter too much for gauges? Depends what planes you fly as to how important they are.

A lot of flight simming can be done without having to know the miniature of what your gauges are doing, if you are a VFR flyer then only a couple gauges are really necessary and you can tell by needle position if you are in ballpark.

So some planes and some type of flying may not be the best but that doesn't rule out flight simulation as a good experience in the rift. It may just rule it out for some of you flying some particular planes, fair enough but that doesn't cover the flight sim genre as a whole by a long shot.

Well i am a lucky owner of oculus DK2 and to be very honest with you i dont think it will ever be any good for a hard core flight sim. You need as you need to see your controls. Now using oculus on something like a sim racing is a different story all together. And i just feel that we need so much more resolution to make it really usable and i dont think the technology is there yet.

Which is why Oculus made you sign the "this is a dev kit..." when you ordered. It's still a work in progress.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Which is why Oculus made you sign the "this is a dev kit..." when you ordered. It's still a work in progress.

hsb

Yeah i know that but what i am saying is we dont have the screens with enough resolution to make it work yet and cant see us having screens like that for years to come..:doh:

So some planes and some type of flying may not be the best but that doesn't rule out flight simulation as a good experience in the rift. It may just rule it out for some of you flying some particular planes, fair enough but that doesn't cover the flight sim genre as a whole by a long shot.

Absolutely, I can think of one sim where every aircraft will be quite manageable with the Rift, even at less than 'gauge reading' resolution.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah i know that but what i am saying is we dont have the screens with enough resolution to make it work yet and cant see us having screens like that for years to come..:doh:

I don't think it will be the screens that we have an issue with, I think the graphics hardware is where we are going to run in to issues. Mainly because of cost needed to run 75+ stable FPS on high resolution with 3D.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

I don't think it will be the screens that we have an issue with, I think the graphics hardware is where we are going to run in to issues. Mainly because of cost needed to run 75+ stable FPS on high resolution with 3D.

In that arena, I believe the current code, not the hardware is the bigger part of the issue

Code is always an issue, and usually one of the most hardest and time consuming to fix.

I do agree. I was trying to point out that hardware is not the problem.

Anyone tried the new oculus runtime released today? Any improvements?

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Anyone tried the new oculus runtime released today? Any improvements?

Just tried it, no perceivable improvement or change in DCS. First tried lowest graphics, fps above 75. Still get the judders.

Then turned on my fps limiter (dxtory), smooooooth but has the curtain effect on one eye as before.

Removed the fps limiter and turned on vsync. Smooooooth but lots of latency. Will make you sick very fast.

Setting the DCS built in FPS limiter to 75 via C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\graphics.lua maxfps = 75; added another undesirable effect. The snappy cockpit effect. Can someone here take a look at their file and tell me what the default is for this? It was set to 120 before and it may be causing a conflict with dxtory causing the curtain effect that I am currently experiencing. Hands down though the best experience setup has been low graphics, vsync off, no hdr, and using dxtory at 75 fps. Almost to perfection.

Setting the DCS built in FPS limiter to 75 via C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\graphics.lua maxfps = 75; added another undesirable effect. The snappy cockpit effect. Can someone here take a look at their file and tell me what the default is for this? It was set to 120 before and it may be causing a conflict with dxtory causing the curtain effect that I am currently experiencing. Hands down though the best experience setup has been low graphics, vsync off, no hdr, and using dxtory at 75 fps. Almost to perfection.

I found dxtory gave me that issue you have with the line. I think it was sync tearing, its vertical instead of horizontal because the screen is running in portrait mode.

I wonder if we change the limiter to 74 or 76 if that might fix it. I notice some games only pick up the rift as 74hz.

I should have asked this early on. Does DCS use the DK2 if the DK2 is set to "Direct Mode"?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Derek, DCS doesn't support direct mode yet.

Thank you, MnW. I thought this was the case. The new runtimes don't change anything. Still have slight judder, but not a deal breaker.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare