Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

If I am not totally mistaken, this mod adds shoulder and ... erm, how is that called ... "eye sockets"? to DCS. Shoulders are now implemented in the stock version of DCS, but the mod still adds that eye-stuff to it.

(to clarify: the mod placed the actual eye point a bit forward - not like in default DCS directly on top of your spine.)

Yes, and that subtle change makes all the difference. It's crazy to convince people who never tried it how well it works, has to be tried with TIR.

• Like 1

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I think this mod works great in single-seat aircrafts. In Huey or Mi-8, it's disaster.

I think the people who don't understand complaints may not be owner of these helicopters.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 2 weeks later...

Works perfect with new Flanker PFM. I have tweaked original viewpoint for this mod.

Notice in Vid how natural distances are and overall cockpit and outside perception.

Files for you attached.

View.rar

Edited by Shaman

tail# 44 or 444

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It is normal as it modifies the angle limits inside the cockpit (I think it ads a bit of 6DoF movement too) so clipping occurs for very close object... the head rest being the closest when you turn your head.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Would like to say this mod is awesome. This is the immersion I've been looking for that I've seen on other people's DCS videos that I can't seem to replicate with my Track IR

Works fine for the A-10C and the Ka-50. However; would like to report some issues on the Su-33. Seems like the pilot's head occupies the same space and time as the headrest.

Have yet to see if it's okay on the F-15C.

Screen_150216_195412.thumb.jpg.13918f99391b1f767fb19be2731c26d8.jpg

Screen_150216_194236.thumb.jpg.a4180377045d748bc00317a9a8a5a2b9.jpg

Screen_150216_194231.thumb.jpg.00ef432c39079704d3a9b9afc52fffab.jpg

It has no files to alter the Mig21 module.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Is there a way for me to deactivate this mod for certain aircraft ? (i.e. Su-33).

The mod doesn't seem to work for the Flanker-D.

Sure. You open the files that are in this mod with notepad++ one at the time and then open beside them in different tab the original ones from \DCS World folder\Config\View\ (server.lua and defaultsnapviews.lua) then you compare them and look in sections of Su-33 and copy the original values in the modded ones. You can use Alt+D to compare the 2 files to see better the differences.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Use Shamandgg's fix here,

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2080611&postcount=511

The Mig's default view is still off a bit, but simple fix on them by moving the cockpit camera forward and resaving the default view per the instructions in the first post.

(Yes - I know how hard it is for some of you to look it up your own in the options ...)

Disable/Pause your Track-IR/Head-tracker while doing it !

"Num/ - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Back

"Num5" Cockpit Camera Move Center

"Num2 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Down

"Num* - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Forward

"Num8 - RCtrl - RShift" Cockpit Camera Move Up

"Num8" Turn Cockpit Camera Up

"Num2" Turn Cockpit Camera Down

"Num/" FOV- aka Zoom-in

"Num*" FOV+ aka Zoom-out

"NumEnter" Default FOV aka Zoom

Once you are satisfied , after using above key-commands,

just use following key-command to save this view as default:

"RAlt+Num0" Save current Cockpit view as default for this vehicle

You will also need to set your own snapviews if you use them for each AC, for instance Num0+Num5 is usually a zoomed in view of the Hud. Set your view up per above, then to save it, you would use LWin + Num5 to quick select that view, then when you hit RAlt + Num0, it will save that view as the default for that snapview.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@zaelu

After fiddling around; still no joy.... The pilot's head is still embedded on the headrest. If you have the time; can you assist in placing the default values for the Su-33 ? I might have missed something or placed a value in the wrong place and tbh I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

@jalebru

using this method seems to just adjust the zoom. Not exactly the positioning of the head. I don't think it's a matter of snap views.

-------

This is really hurting my rear visibility bad >.<

Screen_150226_151902.thumb.jpg.cdab0b41c0e76fd562de82416bdc3e74.jpg

@zaelu

After fiddling around; still no joy.... The pilot's head is still embedded on the headrest. If you have the time; can you assist in placing the default values for the Su-33 ? I might have missed something or placed a value in the wrong place and tbh I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

OK, I modified the values but I can't test it... I use different thing... mod. Actually I visit this thread from time to time maybe I spot why people still use this (for me) obsolete mod. :D

Thing is... ED wasn't satisfied with how the view system was after FC3 and added a new value that changed the things for better. That value is "shoulder size". That made the whole point of this mod work and removed the bad side of old system and this mod... the fact that when you look up and down... with this mod or other custom values in old system the view is unnatural. Meaning... when you look up in real life... say... 20-30° but you keep your eyes on the monitor for example... you won't see the monitor moving. Even if in fact on retina projection it is geometrically and grammatically :P moving... you brain filters that out and the monitor stays put. This is what it needs to be simulated in the game... the perception... and sometimes by the numbers just doesn't feel good.

Of course... this is just my opinion.

Server.lua

SnapViews.lua

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just tried this in the Ka-50 and I can't see any difference.

Some people claim it still works, other (including PeterP him self) claim it won't.

Can somebody confirm if it works with the Ka-50?

How did you get it to work (if other than default installation)?

What to look for compared to default?

Mi-8 and Uh-1H?

(I fly helicopters exclusively)

I'm at the moment with

DCS World 1.2.16.37730

TrackIR 5

"User snap-view saving" enabled

(also experimenting with multi monitor and SoftTH, not decided if I will run more than one monitor)

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Yes it does, thing is, EDs camera unnaturally travels forward and once you look at your 4 o clock your neck is on top of flight stick mounting or even more in front. Getting rid of it with Proper Neck on any aircraft immerses a lot. For me the most prominent change is on Warthog and Flanker as these are aircrafts I fly all the time. I just recently removed the mod to see if ED improved, but they did not. It's terrible to me when my virtual neck transits forward in aircraft each time I turn left or right.. It makes me sick now. Prefer the mod. It's best feeling, it's like apple, it just works as expected.

tail# 44 or 444

Thank you for your answer, shamandgg.

Even if you did not mention my helicopters specifically, I'll take your word for it that it works.

I do see now that something is different, but can't really say if it's because I finally have a neck or if only the why the camera moves has changed (but not the position relative my shoulders). I'll let the mod stay for a while and maybe remove it later on to see if I get the same reaction as you.

Question.

Have you done any changes to your Server.lua?

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5