How-to: Create net settings that fit YOUR connection!

The group I'm in did some testing tonight.

Bumping up net settings on the server was fine in all situations, but when we connected clients with high custom settings we had warps and crashes if the server also had an AI load on it. Our test mission incrementally loads AI units over time.

Our best results, of the net speed variations we tried, were when running our 8 internet clients on the adsl 1024 setting.

We had 1 additional client on the same network with the server.

Thanks. So at least it helped for the servers, eh.

Actually final value is interpreted as KB (Kilo Bytes) per second as defined here in line 4

local kBit = 1024/8

meaning 1024 bits (which is 1KiloBit) then divided by 8 to make it into KBytes

The wording of the unit is wrong local kBit should be called KBytes or just KB

I am not sure about that Kuky. In saved games\dcs\config\network there is is a value of

243200 (bytes?)

for me, which is ca 230 KiloByte. Pretty much exactly what I entered into the net_types.lua. And it would make sense.

But then again - funny, I once hosted "assault on mineralnye vody" and SOMEHOW my upload went up to 290-350 KB/s. It's crazy because that's what my netLimiter program told me but I know for a fact is not possible since I only got 250KB/s up. :-/

The mission is MASSIVE and I had about 6-8 clients connect and sit in the pit for me.

Weird weird weird.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

hm... could it be these net types are not setup properly as I don't see how the final values could be represented in BYTES (as per c0ff's post) when the local variable kBit is defined as multiple of 1024 (clearly an IT Kilo unit) then divided by 8? The base unit is a bit... 8 of them is a BYTE.. so I don't get it...

And what's LAN value... is this for 10Mbps or 100Mbps connection?

If kBit was a BYTE then 10240*kBit would be 10KBYTES... no LAN connection is 10KBYTES.. it's either 10Mbits per second or 100Mbits per second

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

when the local variable kBit is defined as multiple of 1024 (clearly am IT Kilo unit)

It hurts my eyes when i see someone setting kilo = 1024, especially when that's coming from pros like ED devs. kilo means 1000, mega means a million and so on. There is no IT kilo. That is true specially in networking, a Gigabit line transfers at 1,000,000,000 bit per second and a 16 Mbit ADSL line got 16,000,000 bps.

Nothing against you personally, it's just frustrating to see ;)

But to stay on topic, if you've got a value in kbit, multiply it with 1000 / 1024 you've got it in bit. Divide it by 8 and you've got bytes. Multiply your kbit value with 1024/8 and it's the same in one step

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
It hurts my eyes when i see someone setting kilo = 1024, especially when that's coming from pros like ED devs. kilo means 1000, mega means a million and so on. There is no IT kilo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Specific_units_of_IEC_60027-2_A.2_and_ISO.2FIEC_80000

So, yes, you are perfectly right about ADSL/network speeds.

The rest of you rant, is just a rant.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

St3v3f... you just basically called me stupid then said something very stupid yourself... mate... in IT a Kilo unit is exactly 1024.

What you are referring to is when they sell HDD and other PC parts when they say 10Mbps or 100GB they use your terminology (multiple of 1000 not 1024) but REAL unit is 1024.

I never called you stupid and I am sorry if you had the impression I did.

I was pointing out that the common "knowledge" that in IT, kilo means 1024 is simply wrong. If you are using 1024 as multiplier, you are talking about kibibytes (KiB), mibibytes (MiB) and so on. The "classical" prefixes are based on 1000 and nothing else.

And using 1024 as multiplier for the capacity of a network line is just one many situations you can run into trouble by falling for that false knowledge.

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I never called you stupid and I am sorry if you had the impression I did.

I was pointing out that the common "knowledge" that in IT, kilo means 1024 is simply wrong. If you are using 1024 as multiplier, you are talking about kibibytes (KiB), mibibytes (MiB) and so on. The "classical" prefixes are based on 1000 and nothing else.

And using 1024 as multiplier for the capacity of a network line is just one many situations you can run into trouble by falling for that false knowledge.

They're correct with the 1024 = K as it is all based on 8 (as far as I can make out... 8 bits to the byte)

32 bit bus = 8 bytes wide

64 bit bus = 16 bytes wide

1 byte (apparently = 1 letter/ character/ number

Memory sizes (32/ 64/ 128/ 512/ 1024/ 2048, etc) all divisible by 8

Cluster sizes... all divisible by 8

1000/8 = 125 (throws the clockwork out)

1024/8 = 128 (keeps everything nice and orderly)

hm... could it be these net types are not setup properly as I don't see how the final values could be represented in BYTES (as per c0ff's post) when the local variable kBit is defined as multiple of 1024 (clearly an IT Kilo unit) then divided by 8? The base unit is a bit... 8 of them is a BYTE.. so I don't get it...

And what's LAN value... is this for 10Mbps or 100Mbps connection?

If kBit was a BYTE then 10240*kBit would be 10KBYTES... no LAN connection is 10KBYTES.. it's either 10Mbits per second or 100Mbits per second

yes...

A 1 Mbit/s Internet connection can transfer 1,000,000bits per second (125,000 bytes per second, assuming an 8bit byte)

A 1 Gbit/s Ethernet connection can transfer 1,000,000,000bits per second (125,000,000 bytes per second, assuming an 8bit byte)

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

There are plenty of programs out there that allow you to tune your pc for better speeds and latency. I use system mechanic which has internet tune included. Here's a site I've used in the past.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

There seems to be a confusion about the semantics of the orders of amounts of bytes. There is no "one standard" that is all-defining. The meaning of kB, MB, and so on means different things in different standards. For example, the meaning of "KB" in the JEDEC standard for memory quantities is defined to be 1024 bytes. However, by convention, and by intuitional inference of the meaning of "kB" in the SI system, dictates it to be defined as 1000 bytes (kilobyte). Furthermore, the IEC standard defines "KiB" (kibibyte) to be 1024 bytes.

As a computer programmer working in a computer software company, I claim myself to I have a justified word on the topic, which is that it usually does not matter what you define it to be, as long as it is well understood and unambiguous to the others working on the program what you mean. 1024 bytes is 1024 bytes anyway.

However, I must say that as a Norwegian using the SI system for all of our national measurement systems, I find it strange when people define 1 kB to be 1024 bytes. 1 kilobyte is 1000 bytes, not 1024.

Lost

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

There are plenty of programs out there that allow you to tune your pc for better speeds and latency. I use system mechanic which has internet tune included. Here's a site I've used in the past.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Hmm, more programs = less DCS resourches.

The reasoning behind having your program making your connection faster seems far fetched.

When you need a program to stabilse stuff you could also look into what is actualy destabilsing and not needing another program.

When you dont add any connection restrictions yourself you cant be faster than the copper wire alows you. A provider simply throttles your connection on how much youre willing to pay for speed and fully utilise that copper wire.

When you have another provider telling you they have faster internet for you on the same wire, the only thing they do is throttle a little bit less than the other provider. Its still the same damn copper cable disapearing under the pedestrian roadsection from your house with perhaps another router.

Be moar sceptical!

Let me make something clear, semantics do matter because units are units and should be labeled in correct way.

small "b" stands for bit

capital "B" stands for BYTE

1Byte = 8bit

In computers (1's and 0's) a Kilo is 1024 as everything is on the power of 8

In networking (for public general use) things are in bit.. so 10M LAN is 10MegaBits/sec

Also when downloading data, if you are downloading at 1Mbps actual LOAD of data (your file you are downloading or uploading) is only a percentage of the data being transferre.. due to OVERHEAD (which is addressing) which is required in IP world.

So once again, the unit labeled as "kBit" in networktypes file is actually a KiloByte because it calculates this units to be a multiple of 1024 of some base unit (which is a bit) then divides it by 8 (to make it into data Kilo unit)

So to have ADSL speed shown as 128/64 kBit is actually saying that this is 128KiloBytes down and 64KiloBytes up.

Help me Obi Wan :)

Speedtest says for my crap connection pretty standard in Australia though.

0.67Mbsec up and 4.72Mbsec down. So I figure that means 83.75Kbsec up and 590Kbsec down ?

Exactly what should the string I put in the net_types.lua file look like ? or what would be the best default setting to select ?

hows this :

{ADSL.." IvanK", 512*kBit, 64*kBit}

Edited by IvanK

Also guys, have a larger margin from the tested speed like 20% off or so.

Reason being that there is no way i can get max bandwidth to Usa from Europe. The 20% should cover that but might need more tweaking if you want to make absolutely sure.

Many speed tests won't represent anything reliable towards your friend far away.

Also bare in mind that many isp's don't adjust very well for peak use on their connections. So if you are gaming in prime time you might see a drop in performance.

My experience was that when on a mega fast line, there was a difference in loading time and overall MP feel. The line was a 50/50 Mbit (meaning around 5Megabytes each way.)

But anyway we have all seen the odd lag in various mp games and if the games allows for it, then there was one or more with a ping time of 1000+ plus killing the game.

The classic is the guys on wifi or doing torrents. As soon as they go hardline or no torrents things improve.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Those net speed tests give you AVERAGE speed... Edit: actually they are top speed during the test

If your speed varies, you'll need to be bit reservative (maybe use 1/2 the speed to make sure bandwidth is always there). If your speed is almost always the same you can use higher up, close to what your test speed gives.

HiJack you have

69.6MegaBits/sec down (69600000 bits/sec)

10.1MegaBits/sec up (10100000 bits/sec)

Divide by 8 and you will get Bytes then divide by 1000 and you will get KBytes whats used in DCS network settings.

8700 KBytes/sec

1262 Kbyes/sec

so I think you could use 8000/1000 values in DCS, and that's awesome speed by the way :)

Edited by Kuky

Help me Obi Wan :)

Speedtest says for my crap connection pretty standard in Australia though.

0.67Mbsec up and 4.72Mbsec down. So I figure that means 83.75Kbsec up and 590Kbsec down ?

Exactly what should the string I put in the net_types.lua file look like ? or what would be the best default setting to select ?

hows this :

{ADSL.." IvanK", 512*kBit, 64*kBit}

correct

Keep in mind though that when making the setting, to take into account any Line fluctuation which may occur.

(Line Fluctuation can be seen when using Speedtest)

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Those net speed tests give you AVERAGE speed... Edit: actually they are top speed during the test

If your speed varies, you'll need to be bit reservative (maybe use 1/2 the speed to make sure bandwidth is always there). If your speed is almost always the same you can use higher up, close to what your test speed gives.

HiJack you have

Divide by 8 and you will get Bytes then divide by 1000 and you will get KBytes whats used in DCS network settings.

8700 KBytes/sec

1262 Kbyes/sec

so I think you could use 8000/1000 values in DCS, and that's awesome speed by the way :)

Thanks Kuky

I did the configuration using c0ff's script and came up with this settings for CanalDigital 70MAX

In Bytes:

69600000 bits/sec = 8700000 bytes/sec

10100000 bits/sec = 1262500 bytes/sec

In the .-net configuration this will be:

connection = {
"Canal Digital - 70MAX",
8700000, -- download speed in bytes/sec
1262500, -- upload speed in bytes/sec
}
connection = {
"Canal Digital - 70MAX-HALF",