Improper Rankings of Door Gunners

cacti4-6

Hey Folks, I just wanted to throw out an FYI that the rankings that the two door gunners have in the Huey module have improper rankings. Typically door gunners were Sgt. and below...Normally they were SPC and PFC's. Looking back and seeing a couple of Warrant Officers manning the 60's kind of threw me for a loop.

cheers!

PS:

fantastic job of the EGI effects...reminds me of when i was riding around in blackhawks back in the day!:pilotfly:

Cacti 4-6

Militarygamers.com Senior Staff

Edited by cacti4-6

Branch Sustainability and Integration Officer

Militarygamers.com

A community for current and former US Service Members. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

Interesting observation. I never would have thought to look.

If the Huey wasn't lacking so many other promised options which should have been implemented by now (prior to MI-8), including aircraft sharing, I'd say they should fix that. Seems like it could be easy too.

Also, how cool would a DCS Blackhawk be?

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

technically there is only one gunner on a huey...the other guy is the crew chief....

normally gunner/crew chiefs are full sargents yes...but you could see a corporal as gunner in a rare case (no privates or PFCs)....normally the crew chief has been though enough training in order to know all the systems on the helo to be at least a sargent

the Pilots should be a captain or high lvl warrant officer, probally no less then W-4, and the copilots should be a 1st lieutenant...normally 2nd lieutenants were the new guys and not giving a lot of responsibility at first...but I guess the copilot could be a 2nd Lt on a rookie crew....

....this is the old vietnam era crew type...I have no idea how non U.S. or the modern U.S. does it...

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

Speaking of ranks and insignia, has anyone noticed that the American flag badge is backwards on one of the pilot's shoulders? Probably both pilots actually.

That's how insignia is worn on many (but not all) uniforms in the U.S. The American flag patch is worn so that the flag is facing forward relative to the direction the wearer faces.

Imagine a flag being flown over a soldier and the wind blowing at the soldier's face. Looking at the soldier's right side, the star field is in front and the stripes to the rear.

Edited by sjb5001

Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz

8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3, 1600MHz

NVidia GeForce GTX 760

Windows 8 Pro Operating System - 64-Bit

Saitek X52 Pro Joystick and Throttle

• 2 months later...

Just to give you a heads up... the texture map has changed for the patch texture in 1.2.7. (However it is not reading correctly at the moment) Below is pictures showing the mapping of 1.2.6. vs 1.2.7. and also what the game is currently mapping.

[ATTACH]93094[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]93096[/ATTACH]

TM-1.thumb.png.82dd58140e76f97cc018957e5d8e71b6.png

TM-2.png.5b4f21afce5ced204b5f115a0cee946e.png

Edited by A229th Reaper

What system?...Not quite sure, I think its a 64bit system cause the keyboard says 'Commodore64'.

As far as ranks... (as with all things military Nothing is written in stone.) Normally the highest rank is the ship commander and sits in the left seat. But being the commander he can sit where he likes. During Vietnam many of the pilots were wo1 (especially their first tour). It was also not uncommon to have a wo as ship commander while a commissioned officer was onboard for stick time. But that was a different era.

Please remember while very accurate, DCS is for enjoyment not historical accuracy. Enjoy the expierence so few get to do for real.

What system?...Not quite sure, I think its a 64bit system cause the keyboard says 'Commodore64'.

Just to give you a heads up... the texture map has changed for the patch texture in 1.2.7.

That, and you don't see enlisted rank on the sleeves of flightsuits (at least for US troops), and the rank insignia is not properly oriented (i.e. if you have an oak leaf facing left it will face left on both sides).

Edited by Home Fries

I don't understand why the PIC would sit in the left seat when all of the important instruments he needs are on the right...

Google is your friend: http://www.airspacemag.com/need-to-know/Need-to-Know-Why-Do-Helicopter-Pilots-Sit-in-the-Right-Seat.html

From the Vietnam pilot books I've read, the AC always preferred sitting on the left as the spiral descents were conducted in an anticlockwise direction so being on the left was preferable. I dunno...maybe its just him.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

The pilots should be warrants. Not that I am bias or anything. Not that many commissioned officers flying compared to warrants. Senior Captains start losing flight time drastically as they are assigned to other jobs. Officers lead and do paper work, warrant officers do most of the flying in the Army, that's just the way it is. lots of CW2's and CW3's. We have alot of E5's and E6's as our crew chiefs. E5 range for gunners +/_ works. And remember good pilots switch seats ever flight, left and right. At least they do now, PIC or not, doesn't mater the seat.

HHC, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

http://1stcavdiv.conceptbb.com/

Hey Folks, I just wanted to throw out an FYI that the rankings that the two door gunners have in the Huey module have improper rankings. Typically door gunners were Sgt. and below...Normally they were SPC and PFC's. Looking back and seeing a couple of Warrant Officers manning the 60's kind of threw me for a loop.

cheers!

PS:

fantastic job of the EGI effects...reminds me of when i was riding around in blackhawks back in the day!:pilotfly:

Cacti 4-6

Militarygamers.com Senior Staff

that is need to know bases, and non essential people don't need the true rank set up from the military . its that way for a reason.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

that is need to know bases, and non essential people don't need the true rank set up from the military . its that way for a reason.

Good point. What would happen to us guy's in the military if people found out our true ranking system from a war that happened 40 years ago? I know I wouldn't feel safe flying anymore. I want to thank you for saving us all. If only this knowledge wasn't already open source and released by the military...

HHC, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

http://1stcavdiv.conceptbb.com/

Good point. What would happen to us guy's in the military if people found out our true ranking system from a war that happened 40 years ago? I know I wouldn't feel safe flying anymore. I want to thank you for saving us all. If only this knowledge wasn't already open source and released by the military...

Check the movie and T.V industry, they are told the same thing.. :smartass:

Beside the ranking structure hasn't changed in 40 years, only the camouflage.

Edited by Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||