Operation Bactria (MP COOP 14), Afghanistan CAS

very intense mission! Thanks for making it habu.

Nerd setup:

Asrock P67 pro 3| 8GB DDR3 | Intel i5 2500K @ 4,3 ghz | Asus GTX 780 oc 3gb| 2x OCZ VERTEX 4 128gb SSD 1x 150 gb hdd 1x 320 gb hdd | track ir 5 & track clip pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Thrustmaster MFD pack | ASUS 22 inch | ACER 19 inch (mfd's) | Saitek flight pedals (tip: do NOT buy ati cards for DCS A-10C)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Roughly two months ago I announced that Op. Bactria v3.0 was being worked on and I gave a hopeful release date by Christmas 2012. When we all received word that v1.2.3 was being worked on in December, I decided to continue development but hold off a release due to new upcoming mission editor features and a history of new patches breaking the functionality of missions. At this point in time Op. Bactria v3.0 is completely done minus some conditions that will utilize new mission editor features. I also need to correct some outstanding bugs and most importantly, make sure that the rest of the mission was not broken by the latest patch.

I'm pleased that v1.2.3 is finally released so that I can finish the remaining parts of the mission and release it to you all. I do ask, however, that you remain patient in this process as I insure that the mission is 100% stable and working. I'm incredibly busy and it will take time (in the magnitude of weeks) to finish the mission as I'm away from my main PC. Many of you have offered suggestions for a future version of the mission and I'm thankful for your feedback. I'm pleased to announce that I have faithfully considered all of this feedback and acted upon most of it for version 3.0.

Version 3.0, among other updates and changes, includes a new four ship and randomized tasking that in my opinion is the most realistic and fun of all the flights in Op. Bactria. I'm very thankful for all of your support and feedback and I hope that you will be entertained by this next release.

Habu/Force

Edited by Habu23

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Operation Bactria v3.0 Released!

Download Link, v3.0

Compatible with DCS: World v1.2.3

Single player version coming soon.

Roughly a year ago, I released Op. Bactria v1.0 and was very thankful for all of your support and enthusiasm for the mission. Last December, I announced that work on version 3.0 was underway. After learning about the v1.2.3 to DCS: World, I withheld release to insure compatibility and reliability at all costs: my primary focus in mission development. I want to apologize for the long duration of time that has passed until release. It was not intended to be so long, but the wait is no more! After several months of testing and development, it is now ready!

Unfortunately, this will probably be the last development cycle for Op. Bactria. The file size is at its max, and unless ED creates a "file caching" system for multiplayer so clients do not have to download the same mission over again, it will be infeasible to add more taskings and thus expand the file size. On an average internet connection it will take clients roughly 1.5 minutes to download the mission file. I am formulating additional mission ideas that will utilize this proof of concept in other missions, though we will have to wait until EDGE and Nevada are released :). Please see below for more information about this version and a teaser made by Fluffer.

Teaser

A special video prepared by Fluffer for release:

C3k-84ST1YA

Updated Briefing Map

Bactria50_zps4e36bd1b.jpg

Changelog:

**New Content**

- Op. Bactria is now a COOP14 with the addition of a new 4-ship, Tusk flight, with its own randomized tasks. The tasking for this 4 ship is, in my opinion, the most realistic and entertaining of all the tasks in the mission. Tusk flight focuses on the contemporary insurgency in Afghanistan.

- Tusk flight introduces more complex logic that provides more possibilities for failing taskings. While this has certainly been improved over previous flights, limitations on file size and triggers have made failure conditions less numerous than I would otherwise like to have.

- Each sound file has been remastered with a new "radio click" that is far more realistic and pleasing to the ear. Sound files have also been adjusted appropriately for volume.

- At 9.44 MB, Op. Bactria v3.0 is only 600kb greater than v2.0 despite having 75 more sound files. This was possible due to new compression techniques and overall optimization. This was the surprise I was implying a while ago :).

- Updated briefing map in-game has all relevant frequencies and tanker tracks included.

- Mission has been made, tested, and released for DCS: World v1.2.3. Previously Op. Bactria was only tested for reliability with standalone A-10C.

**Fixes**

- New to Bactria v3.0, any member of the flight (i.e. lead, #2, #3, and #4) can activate the taskings by flying to the IP or to the target area. Before, only lead was able to activate these triggers.

- Tanker speeds have been increased to allow more realistic and easier tanking.

- All JTAC's for Boar flight should be working as per DCS: World v1.2.3. Their reliability cannot be guaranteed across different past and future versions of DCS: World.

- Helicopter land feature has been utilized.

- Grids that are given by AWACS have been reduced to six digits when necessary for realism and to facilitate easier recording and entering of target grids. Voice recordings will still tell 10 digit grids if player is interested in recording all 10 digits.

- Taskings have been reworked so that if clients inadvertently fly over the tasked target area during AWAC's briefing on the new tasking, it will not trigger the next sequence of events. V3.0 should fix all issues with multiple sound files playing over each other.

- Loadout possibilities are restricted as per airport warehouse inventories to maintain realism (i.e., stick with the default loadout) and F10 outside views have been restricted to fog of war.

- Many taskings have been altered to improve gameplay, clarity, and functionality.

**Credits**

- Special thanks to Fluffer (www.unitedoperations.net) for helping me with the entirety of Tusk flight's voice recordings. Thanks to him, the dialogue is incredibly realistic and convincing. Check out his YouTube channel, integralsrulz.

Enjoy!

Habu

Edited by Habu23
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Got some trigger time in with Tusk. Everything was smooth- though I had a couple of my guys shot up pretty bad stuck with guns / rockets on assignment in a SAM environment. Need to have those flare packages ready and proactive- start punching out a couple of flares every second or two and have a blitz 4 x .25 x 8 pattern ready.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Got some trigger time in with Tusk. Everything was smooth- though I had a couple of my guys shot up pretty bad stuck with guns / rockets on assignment in a SAM environment. Need to have those flare packages ready and proactive- start punching out a couple of flares every second or two and have a blitz 4 x .25 x 8 pattern ready.

The secret to avoiding IR SAM's in any environment is to preemptively drop flares when you break the hard deck on attacks and to keep dumping them until you reach a safe altitude and distance. My biggest recommendation is to use program M and run it about 2.5 times on each attack run. Program M drops 1 flare each second for 20 seconds. The MANPAD operator will usually not fire when there are so many flares in the air and the large number of flares will help you defeat the missile. I frequently tell people I know that "you have 240 flares, so use them"! Another tip is to balance altitude and distance on attack runs and the egress. The MANPAD operator is dealing primarily with slant range, so a mix of both altitude and distance is what will save your bacon. Too much of one and too little of the other will put you in jeopardy unless it is extreme (far away or really high up).

Habu

Edited by Habu23

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]