New default FoV

BeastyBaiter

I have my fov on a rotary and the new middle position is so zoomed out into fisheye territory that it's basically unplayable. I know it was changed to accomadate the 3 people on earth with super wide monitors, but can we please have an option to make it better suited to normal monitors too? The old default was perfect.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

It's a tough question. From the comments people are clearly are relying on the maximum and minimum FOV limits as working range stops. They are using the limits of value as features and have a desire for those limits to correspond exactly to personal tastes. Like a credit card with a maximum balance the "use what you want; you don't have to use it all" doesn't apply.

Personally I like the limits to exceed my normal use. If I am at the limits frequently then the limits are probably too narrow. When I prefer an FOV that is somewhere in the middle of the allowed range that's a big clue that that's the FOV I really want.

If everyone used axis FOV control it would be no problem as the personal limits could just be configured as axis limits by the user but probably more than half the users use the key inputs instead (e.g. me).

I think the entire concept of "legal limits" that the user cannot exceed is quite silly. Consider the limits are per render instance and not total displayed there's nothing preventing me from setting up 360 vision with enough computer horsepower. For example the "3 monitor" setup option allows the limit FOV on each image portion which bypasses the limit compared to the 1 monitor setup option.

The real reason for FOV limits is aesthetic and user experience and not any kind of "anti cheating" effort. The lua that controls these values is checked because of potential for abuse regarding the other values. It's not possible to cheat with FOV alone.

Realizing that FOV working range is a user preference and probably different from module to module really does suggest a preference slider for max (and why not minimum too) FOV. Then the renderer HFOV limits can be set to 180 or even 360. If people want that much then they can. The working range limit preferences are set in options and Bob's your uncle.

We'll think of an alternate implementation!

Hi Cobra847,

Most people are using 2 buttons to control the FOV

One Set to "Zoom in Slow" or "Zoom in"

One Set to "Zoom out Slow" or "Zoom out"

So I suggest adding 2 new keys:

Current:

Zoom out Slow

Change to:

Zoom out Slow FOV110

Zoom out Slow FOV150

Current:

Zoom out

Change to:

Zoom out FOV110

Zoom out FOV150

Another solution is: MiG-21Bis 's Special Setting

Add an option: do you want to be old or new FOV limits

btw, Great work LNS, you are the Best! :thumbup:

I play with a single 32" 1920X1080 monitor and I was quite pleased when I logged in today, so make me #4.

I believe that an option would be the best to suit the people with different tastes instead of catering to a specific group.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

You can't see the difference if you are not using maximum FOV through keys at least. Otherwise the game defaults to Normal FOV which is the same 90°

This is how the new max FOV looks to me on a single 1920x1080 monitor

nhY1q3m.jpg

I feel like in a sledge playing NFS.

Edit

Because some (like me) use an axis for zooming that axis can be tweaked in controls settings to discard part of the FOV angle like this:

G8I1aWF.jpg

The result is the FOV max will be capped at around this:

3BIWUpq.jpg

If you want you can tweak it to 60% or 65% (instead of 55% like I did) and you will have a bit wider FOV (almost like the old default).

For the people that use keys... I don't think there is a solution other than wait for an implementation of a feature like Mi-8 has.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

This is a prime example of "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." The answer for now is: "Then don't do that."

It's much better for people who need that wider FOV to have it available than it is for people that don't want it to be prevented from exceeding the FOV they want.

This is a prime example of "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." The answer for now is: "Then don't do that."

It's much better for people who need that wider FOV to have it available than it is for people that don't want it to be prevented from exceeding the FOV they want.

Says you, I have different point of view. Its ****ing ironic that EDs anti cheat feature is forcing me to cheat to set this back to my preference.

I don't know anything about limits, zooms on slider axes, zooms on keys etc., because I've been always using TrackIR Z for zoom in DCS. This is where the difference became noticeable right away, because in such case, 150 is the value the standard view resets to at the beginning of each mission, and that's not really a great solution.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

It's unfortunate that something so personal as FOV which really can't be a cheat at any angle is included in the IC. It's probably because that file controls other exploitable values.

I don't know your exact use case but is it possible to just not use the entire FOV range available? In the analogy of a credit card with a $10,000 maximum balance, is it practical not to use it to its limit? How troublesome is it to hold down the zoom out key until it's the preferred value and release? I've had a number of games with a FOV control where the FOV could be larger than I wanted and I just stopped pressing the button when it got to where I wanted.

Art-J with TrackIR that counts as axis control and so you can axis tune that to whatever deadzone, limits, curves, etc. you want. You should be able recreate previous or really any behavior using the axis tuning options.

If you go to a doctor with a problem like you described and he tells you just to "don't do that" then go to a different doctor.

This is a case of believing you know what the other say although you didn't walk in his shoes ever, not even tried to imagine how it is.

I agree that people with 3 Screens (which are not a majority just to be noted) should have the ability to see just as fine as people with one single monitor... but the reality is the situation now is just reversed not solved. You see... prior to introducing the views.lua files in IC they had to enter a new value in their own lua like the people with one single monitor have to do it now... and fail IC.

As I said I use an axis, I can stop my axis roughly at where I wanted it in the first time. For me is problem solved. But there are people that use keys and will remain with this small (no big... we don't exaggerate) issue. And they shouldn't have to. There are solutions for this like BST has in Special options Tab. With something like that everybody would be happy.

You said above that maybe those files were put in IC basket because they might allow some exploits. Yes! They do and is good they are finally placed there. One could make his cockpit sty outside o the plane or/and allow moving outside the plane/cockpit for several meters if he wants. We don't need that in multiplayer.

But if one wishes not for more but for less than is allowed... he should have the ability to do it without failing IC, that's all.

@Art-J

Try to do what I did for my joystick axis with you TIR axis that is assigned for zooming.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

No biggie, I'm not complaining, because I'm strictly an offline player, so I just made a little JSGME mod with edited relevant .lua to get back to the old 105 degrees and it's case closed for me now.

But If I ever have to revert back to unmodded .lua, it's good to know that I'll be able to tune it.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

This new FOV has been a godsend. Seriously- the FOV at 90 on a triple screen monitor setup for single camera at 5760*1080 was absolutely unplayable. This new default max FOV means I can actually now fly on servers with the integrity check on. The alternative was going into 3 screen mode, which triples the load on the card, and that could sometimes get into FPS trouble.

So thanks a ton, Leatherneck. Best decision yet.

I think to remember the default FOV_per_aircraft was really easy to edit in a snapview(*).lua somewhere?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I think to remember the default FOV_per_aircraft was really easy to edit in a snapview(*).lua somewhere?

It seems is ignored now by the game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It seems is ignored now by the game.

consider

there's a 'default' in the DCS install dir

SnapViewsDefault.lua

there's a 'user' in the 'saved games' dir when/if you define snapviews

SnapViews.lua

so somehow you need to 'align' these definition

f.i. A10C

in my

user SnapViews.lua

SnapViews["A-10C"] = {

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 105.000,--FOV

I think this works (or does it, not, yes)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

You don't need to align them. Snapviews.lua and server.lua from User folder "overrides" the settings from snapviewsdefaul.lua and server.lua from DCS folder. But the modules that have separated view.lua files (mig21 included) if you add sections for them... they are ignored.

Basically for A-10C works, for Mig21 doesn't.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You don't need to align them. Snapviews.lua and server.lua from User folder "overrides" the settings from snapviewsdefaul.lua and server.lua from DCS folder. But the modules that have separated view.lua files (mig21 included) if you add sections for them... they are ignored.

Basically for A-10C works, for Mig21 doesn't.

'Align' might be the wrong word,

I have my profile name change with every update

so, with my A10C / SU25T / KA-50 / F-15

if I make a 'mod' of the FOV's, the safest is to mod the

SnapViewsDefault.lua, that will contain the FOV,

then changes in the

<user>SnapViews.lua will contain the FOV's from the SnapViewsDefault.lua

sorry to hear about the Mig21

If you go to a doctor with a problem like you described and he tells you just to "don't do that" then go to a different doctor.

This is a case of believing you know what the other say although you didn't walk in his shoes ever, not even tried to imagine how it is.

I agree that people with 3 Screens (which are not a majority just to be noted) should have the ability to see just as fine as people with one single monitor... but the reality is the situation now is just reversed not solved. You see... prior to introducing the views.lua files in IC they had to enter a new value in their own lua like the people with one single monitor have to do it now... and fail IC.

As I said I use an axis, I can stop my axis roughly at where I wanted it in the first time. For me is problem solved. But there are people that use keys and will remain with this small (no big... we don't exaggerate) issue. And they shouldn't have to. There are solutions for this like BST has in Special options Tab. With something like that everybody would be happy.

You said above that maybe those files were put in IC basket because they might allow some exploits. Yes! They do and is good they are finally placed there. One could make his cockpit sty outside o the plane or/and allow moving outside the plane/cockpit for several meters if he wants. We don't need that in multiplayer.

But if one wishes not for more but for less than is allowed... he should have the ability to do it without failing IC, that's all.

@Art-J

Try to do what I did for my joystick axis with you TIR axis that is assigned for zooming.

I play with a single monitor though and I really don't understand the problem. Just don't zoom out super far? My TMS up swithch is zoom in slow and TMS down is zoom out slow in mig21. And DMS right centers view. Nothing seems different to me about how well that works.