Dear oculus rift cv1 users. Is it really worth it!

boedha68

That's great to hear. I am almost there as well - just want to throw out that Obutto Ozone, replacing it with a MonsterTech rig. Once that's in place, Oculus, here I come! :)

:thumbup:

You are so going to love it!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still play some stuff in 2D as well - it's nice to sit back and just watch the plane flying over a landscape say in Aerofly FS2, or race a track in Project Cars as the detail is so rich. That's the one thing I'd like improved in VR currently, but in DCS it's 100% VR for me at the moment as the sense of flying the plane is just beautiful.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I still play some stuff in 2D as well - it's nice to sit back and just watch the plane flying over a landscape say in Aerofly FS2, or race a track in Project Cars as the detail is so rich. That's the one thing I'd like improved in VR currently, but in DCS it's 100% VR for me at the moment as the sense of flying the plane is just beautiful.

Yep. dcs is 100% VR for me too. Got the rift now for 3 weeks.

In the beginning i thought. only singleplayer vr and multiplayer, teamtraining 2d.

But last week after multiplayer training and mp matches i am used to the rift now. Settings and smoothness are good. Wasn't easy too get it perfectly right. Just visual spotting of other planes can be hard, but once on radar you know where you must look. :D

I am on the rift!!! :thumbup:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I have had my Rift for about 10 days now - and I must say, after about 12 hours in DCS with it, I am loving it more and more!

I am so glad you guys convinced me to make this purchase. My only problem now is not sure I can play any of my other games I have that do not have Rift support, thankfully DCS is my main one anyway. Any future game purchases will be for titles that support the technology no doubt.

Glad to hear! Im in the same boat as you, not bying anything non VR haha. Its just amazing. Ill be selling off a couple of my 5x 24" screens thats for sure.

I also did a couple of back to back flights with the Vive and Rift last night to before finally shipping the Vive back and while it gives a tad more presence the clarity and picture on the rift is just way better. That pretty much nailed it for me, the Rift it is! That said though hah, i really with i could just keep both, the vive with its bigger view makes me feel a lot more there but its just no contest vs the rifts clarity and smaller pixels.For all the 360 and room scale stuff that dont matter as much. If only i could win the lottery!

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Speaking of other games in VR , Have you guys tried Elite dangerous. this game is a must have if you play VR . the first time i put my Rift on inside the space station i was like WOWWWWWW that spaceship is huge

It's super pretty, but sooooooo boring. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it. Very well built game though.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Speaking of other games in VR , Have you guys tried Elite dangerous. this game is a must have if you play VR . the first time i put my Rift on inside the space station i was like WOWWWWWW that spaceship is huge

It is going to be my next purchase, here in the next few days...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It is going to be my next purchase, here in the next few days...

I will get my Oculus tomorrow, just because my friend is a elite dangerous freak. He bought one and I tried it.....

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

I will get my Oculus tomorrow, just because my friend is a elite dangerous freak. He bought one and I tried it.....

:thumbup:

You will love it!

So after several hours in the Spit working on take offs and landings, I finally got to where I am fairly proficient with both of them.

So I decided it was time to try some dogfighting in it now.

Loaded up the dogfight mission, and man oh man with the Rift - wow! There were a couple times when I took evasive maneuvers, the pit of my stomach went up into my throat, and I was sweating like crazy LOL.

So dang realistic!

Don B

Makes you want to limber that neck, doesn't it, dburne? :)

Lol, no doubt!

Don B

Man I want to buy a VR headset so bad... but I keep forcing myself to wait until gen 2 or at least 1.5...

And then what, wait for 3rd gen? I was convinced reading this thread, still waiting for delivery. :music_whistling:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Well... the reason to wait in my mind is for a bit better resolution. As others have said, although VR is amazing, the resolution isn't quite there yet.

Agree prolly 2 generations of graphic adaptor and display but sometimes early adoption is okay too. :thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Agree prolly 2 generations of graphic adaptor and display but sometimes early adoption is okay too. :thumbup:

And CPU's to keep up with them as well...

While I do enjoy nice graphics, I have never been what I would call a graphic junkie. I did not need high resolution, like 1440 or even 4K to enjoy my experience - had been flying in 1080p for quite some time. Although with my current rig it was nice being able to crank all the settings in DCS to pretty much full.

However I got more out of the immersion factor, taking me out of reality and giving me a feeling of being more in that world and situation, than sitting at my desktop looking at sharp crisp trees. forests, water, vehicles and just looking around taking it all in.

The Rift for me, has totally taken that experience to a whole new level, unlike any advancement I have seen over the past many years. I guess the closest would be in first the development of the true HOTAS and then the Track IR. I thought Track IR was a huge leap in the immersion factor , but it pales in comparison to the leap VR gave me.

So yeah, I had to crank my settings down somewhat although I am still able to run some things pretty high surprisingly, and the visuals especially looking out toward the distance are no where near what a high resolution display will give - at least yet. But I am an early adapter and realize that, and at least for me the fantastic feeling it gives me of actually being in that plane, far outweighs the reduction in the graphics sharpness I gave up.

So when I put my Rift headset on and launch DCS, I escape to a whole new world. I am looking at full size plane, full size instruments, leaning outside my cockpit looking down at the distance to the runway - and I quickly forget about the less clarity in the graphics and get totally immersed into flying that plane. I don't see anything in my peripheral vision but the scenery I am flying in. And dogfighting, whoa what a rush.

I do so look forward to what this technology is going to bring as we continue along. I am definitely hooked.

Don B

Holodeck? :thumbup:

And dogfighting, whoa what a rush.

Definitely!!! Having way too few time for gaming, I did had the chance for some dogfights sitting in a F86 against a MiG15. Wow! That was so intense, your adrenaline is so much higher since you really feel the enemy is right behind you. I was sweating and breathing heavily as I tried to leave the MiG behind. Dam, that has been so real!

And I found out, that I could turn my head to the left much further than to the right - until now, I even didn´t knew that. I have to go to my doc and tell him, I need a more balanced flexibility for dogfighting :megalol:

Are you guys using labels in (gun-)dogfights? It has been hard in TrackIR to keep the enemies tracked and it is easier with the Rift, but still when you lose sight, it is hard to find them before being shot at...

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Definitely!!! Having way too few time for gaming, I did had the chance for some dogfights sitting in a F86 against a MiG15. Wow! That was so intense, your adrenaline is so much higher since you really feel the enemy is right behind you. I was sweating and breathing heavily as I tried to leave the MiG behind. Dam, that has been so real!

And I found out, that I could turn my head to the left much further than to the right - until now, I even didn´t knew that. I have to go to my doc and tell him, I need a more balanced flexibility for dogfighting :megalol:

Are you guys using labels in (gun-)dogfights? It has been hard in TrackIR to keep the enemies tracked and it is easier with the Rift, but still when you lose sight, it is hard to find them before being shot at...

I don't use labels but I sometimes have to go f5 to spot where the bandits are:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am however I have always been a SP only guy and have always used them.

I could see myself eventually getting away from them though, especially if/when ED implements a good model enlargement feature.

For close WWII combat, I can certainly see the enemy much easier in the Rift versus that small monitor.

Don B

Elite Dangerous and DCS.....Just WOW!

Love it

McDan out

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

And CPU's to keep up with them as well...

While I do enjoy nice graphics, I have never been what I would call a graphic junkie. I did not need high resolution, like 1440 or even 4K to enjoy my experience - had been flying in 1080p for quite some time. Although with my current rig it was nice being able to crank all the settings in DCS to pretty much full.

However I got more out of the immersion factor, taking me out of reality and giving me a feeling of being more in that world and situation, than sitting at my desktop looking at sharp crisp trees. forests, water, vehicles and just looking around taking it all in.

The Rift for me, has totally taken that experience to a whole new level, unlike any advancement I have seen over the past many years. I guess the closest would be in first the development of the true HOTAS and then the Track IR. I thought Track IR was a huge leap in the immersion factor , but it pales in comparison to the leap VR gave me.

So yeah, I had to crank my settings down somewhat although I am still able to run some things pretty high surprisingly, and the visuals especially looking out toward the distance are no where near what a high resolution display will give - at least yet. But I am an early adapter and realize that, and at least for me the fantastic feeling it gives me of actually being in that plane, far outweighs the reduction in the graphics sharpness I gave up.

So when I put my Rift headset on and launch DCS, I escape to a whole new world. I am looking at full size plane, full size instruments, leaning outside my cockpit looking down at the distance to the runway - and I quickly forget about the less clarity in the graphics and get totally immersed into flying that plane. I don't see anything in my peripheral vision but the scenery I am flying in. And dogfighting, whoa what a rush.

I do so look forward to what this technology is going to bring as we continue along. I am definitely hooked.

Couldn't agree more and the res is more than enough if you play other games. Arizona sunshine is a blast and lots of other great games are coming. Walking trough dark caves with just a flashlight and a gun while hearing zombie noises, it's pretty cool.

Elite Dangerous and DCS.....Just WOW!

Love it

McDan out

I gave in and bought the thing. Gonna check that out tomorrow

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

`

Okay my oculus rift arrived today after the system was setup I took the Huey for a free flight in DCS 2 NTTR all I can say is Ho!ly F*&king S&it! (no offence intended!).

The lower resolution takes a distant back seat to the experience. Then I took the Gazelle for a spin. I was nearly sick but it is awesome. The Rift (prolly other 3D sets) is a game changer.

To boot I don't need to wear my glasses when using the rift. :thumbup:

recently hooked my trackir back up and while the resolution was nice it felt like I was playing on a 10 inch monitor. No way I can go back to that.

Also for people with glasses, what I did was take the straps off some cheap prescription swim goggles and just put them inside the rift, works great for me.

`

Okay my oculus rift arrived today after the system was setup I took the Huey for a free flight in DCS 2 NTTR all I can say is Ho!ly F*&king S&it! (no offence intended!).

The lower resolution takes a distant back seat to the experience. Then I took the Gazelle for a spin. I was nearly sick but it is awesome. The Rift (prolly other 3D sets) is a game changer.

To boot I don't need to wear my glasses when using the rift. :thumbup:

Welcome to the club man. Nothing, even reading the others experiences really prepares you for that 1st time does it?..haha. It never gets old and in fact seems to get better as you learn to deal with the new env. Now imagine gen 2, it is gonna be freakin amazing. I am glad this has arrived in my time. Enjoy.