HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

check out my settings in my sig, my hardware spec is pretty close to yours, a couple of changes, i don't use default.vrsettings anymore, i just leave the line

// "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

commented out, that's what the // is for.

and then set re-projection in steam to be enabled for DCS...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

You mean option labeled: "Historical Reprojection Mode" ?

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Awesome, thank you.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

check out my settings in my sig, my hardware spec is pretty close to yours, a couple of changes, i don't use default.vrsettings anymore, i just leave the line

Arrrgh! Based on your earlier recommendation, I just went into the file edit the other day to remove the // in front of MP : auto. Do i now need to go add them back in?

I'm totally confused now. Where do I turn this feature on and what setting am I supposed to use? Pics of the new location/GUI would be appreciated.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I've been trying to find this! Where is it in steam? DCS isn't in a drop-down list in SteamVR. I've reproduced your other settings with great success. Thanks for your help.

Markeebo

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Another question for the thread. I'd like to acquire another cable and cable clip. Can I get this on the HP site?

I've given it a quick look on the HP site, but can't seem to find anywhere where I can buy any replacement parts.

Markeebo

Arrrgh! Based on your earlier recommendation, I just went into the file edit the other day to remove the // in front of MP : auto. Do i now need to go add them back in?

I'm totally confused now. Where do I turn this feature on and what setting am I supposed to use? Pics of the new location/GUI would be appreciated.

They both achieve the same end and effect. One gives you slightly more granular control at the game level, and one is frankly easier to use, and is only ow available quite literally in an update that took place a couple of days ago.

I'm very sorry you are confused. But, this is part of the nature of beta software, it changes and the impact changes advice given. This is part of wmr For steam beta, that has an impact on steamvr beta...

I will try to get some screen shots and step by step instructions on how to use this, but, tbh, the information is in the thread... This is not my priority right now.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I've been trying to find this! Where is it in steam? DCS isn't in a drop-down list in SteamVR. I've reproduced your other settings with great success. Thanks for your help.

Markeebo

It's in a text file default.vrsettings you need to edit it with text editor.

Markeebo

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Another question for the thread. I'd like to acquire another cable and cable clip. Can I get this on the HP site?

I've given it a quick look on the HP site, but can't seem to find anywhere where I can buy any replacement parts.

Markeebo

no idea i would post this as a question on https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/ which has a very competent HP employee who monitors this sort of thing

I've been trying to find this! Where is it in steam? DCS isn't in a drop-down list in SteamVR.
I had to have DCS running for it to appear

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Guys, in attempt to ease some of the confusion surrounding Motion Reprojection (MP) settings, here is my guide. Now, this may be wrong, but it's how I understand things at the moment.

You should note from the start that beta versions of WMR for Steam and SteamVR are probably required for some of these options to appear.

The key file in all this is the Steam Mixed Reality VR Driver settings file. It is located within your Steam library folder. This can often be where Steam was installed, but not always. I, for eample, have my main Steam library located on my D: drive.

So, if you only have 1 Steam library, the location of the critical file is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

It may not be there, mine is located here:

D:\Iain User Folders\Steam Libray\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings.

After a recent update, there are now 2 ways of getting MP to work:

1) purely within WMR, or

2) within SteamVR itself.

In both cases, it is necessary to edit and maintain (we'll come to that later) the file mentioned above.

If you choose 1), then you simply edit the above file. The crucial section is

"driver_Holographic_Experimental": {
       // Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation 
       //     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
       //     auto         = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
       //     disabled     = turn off motion reprojection
       //
       // Comment out or remove this line to use the SteamVR settings for controlling motion reprojection
       "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

By using this method, you just need to change the 'motionReprojectionMode' variable as per the useful descriptions above. Personally, I keep it set to 'motionvector' as I can't see the point in the fps occasionally jumping to 90 when I look at sky. A smooth 45fps is fine and that is achieved using 'motionvector'. Personal choice. Setting to 'disabled', disables MP COMPLETELY, including within SteamVR.

Following a recent beta update, you can now choose 2) above and set MP within SteamVR. To do this, there are 3 steps:

a) edit the file mentioned above, and make sure that the line "motionReprojectionMode..." is either deleted or commented out, i.e. put // in front of it.

b) if you are running the standalone version of DCS, you must add it to your Steam Library as a non-Steam game.

c) WHEN DCS IS RUNNING, go to SteamVR settings>'Video>Per-Application Video Settings' and select DCS from the drop down list. Then select 'Motion Smoothing>Enabled' from the drop down list of options.

(Note: I personally cannot see DCS in the list of applications, whether it is running or not.)

It's as simple as that - almost!

IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT EVERY TIME there is a WMR update, the default.vrsettings file mentioned above reverts back to Microsoft's default, and your edited file gets over-written. The only way you can tell if this has happened is that in DCS - and all other apps - MP will be switched off (as the default option is now 'disabled') and your fps will jump around between 45 and 90.

When you notice this, whether you are using 1) WMR or 2) SteamVR for MP, you will have to edit the file again as per instructions above, as the default 'disabled' applies to SteamVR as well.

I hope that is useful, and please tell me if anything is incorrect.

Baldrick33 has made an excellent point, and that is that you may require different MP settings for different apps. In that case, using SteamVR is your only option, as using WMR applies your setting to all games/apps.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Very useful explanation. Might be worth noting I think you need the beta version of both WMR for SteamVR & SteamVR for the option to manage apps and motion reprojection in SteamVR settings.

Also the option of managing reprojection settings in SteamVR settings is handy where you use multiple applications. For instance I would prefer to have reprojection permanently on for DCS as it is almost always on as you say, for iRacing I want it on auto as it is at 90fps most of the time. For another flight combat sim I turn it off and let it use its own fps management to maintain 90fps. So I can see the benefit.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Very useful explanation. Might be worth noting I think you need the beta version of both WMR for SteamVR & SteamVR for the option to manage apps and motion reprojection in SteamVR settings.

Also the option of managing reprojection settings in SteamVR settings is handy where you use multiple applications. For instance I would prefer to have reprojection permanently on for DCS as it is almost always on as you say, for iRacing I want it on auto as it is at 90fps most of the time. For another flight combat sim I turn it off and let it use its own fps management to maintain 90fps. So I can see the benefit.

Two excellent points! I've made the edits to my post.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks, excellent info! I learned that WMR config file setting for MP must be commented out to allow SteamVR MP setting to fuction.

@imacken

To make DCS visible in SteamVR "per application video settings" you have to have DCS World in Steam library. If you use DCS standalone version, you can add it to Steam library as external non-steam game. This is my experience at least.

Markeebo

I got one sent overnight FedEx when I called and complained about an issue I was having with my HP Reverb.

Personally, I can't see the point in using SteamVR for MP - even though I can't even get it to work! - as you have to edit the default settings file anyway, so I see no benefit, certainly in ease of use. However Baldrick33 has made an excellent point, and that is that you may require different MP settings for different apps. In that case, using SteamVR is your only option, as using WMR applies your setting to all games/apps.

A really good bit of work, well done and thank you!

The only reason is to manage the control of different apps, hopefully we will get a point where touching default.vrsettings at all becomes a thing of the past

To make DCS visible in SteamVR "per application video settings" you have to have DCS World in Steam library. If you use DCS standalone version, you can add it to Steam library as external non-steam game. This is my experience at least.

Thank you, that did it! I'll edit my earlier post.

Sadly, as I've posted elsewhere, there is no improvement to the poor VR performance being experienced by some since 2.5.6 in today's patch.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4251295&postcount=157

no, motion smoothing == ENABLED

Do we have confirmation that ithis setting give us better gaming performance ?

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Do we have confirmation that ithis setting give us better gaming performance ?

No, it doesn’t. Just gives more flexibility.

*this*

Too bad. Not that my DCS/VR runs bad but I did off course already count in 20% more performance....so this feels like a 20% performance loss :doh:

Have to test it anyway... :-)

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe