[NOT A BUG] Turbo-prop sound is heard above mach 0.8

bkthunder

In external view, anytime above M 0.8 I can hear a distinct turboprop engine sound when viewing from the front in both F2 and F3 views. I can also hear it internally just a tad.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Every aircraft have specific sound. The F/A-18 has a certain growl at certain speeds and engine/throttle settings. The F-15 and 16 have their own unique sound if you hear them enough time, you get to recognize the differences. Specially, if you live by a runway, when they do landing approaches (which they normally do several every time before landing).

I heard it hundred of time with F/A-18 and now I can't find a video to demonstrating it, go figure.

Edit:

Is this what you mean?

Cy172p0V8SM?start=30

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

@mvsgas, here's a small video that you'll get it a bit better, thogh most of the time i've heard only the sort of properler sound, when i recorded this test, you get to hear both sounds overlapping, and i doupt the sound comes from the Mig-29 behind me :) But i think ED knows about it, as i remember reading something already a while ago on this.

You get normal sound then weird sound after in the vid.

I've read in some books about the Hornet that the Lex makes a buzzing/humming sound at high subsonic/transonic speeds. Could this be it?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

@mvsgas, here's a small video that you'll get it a bit better, thogh most of the time i've heard only the sort of properler sound, when i recorded this test, you get to hear both sounds overlapping, and i doupt the sound comes from the Mig-29 behind me :) But i think ED knows about it, as i remember reading something already a while ago on this.

You get normal sound then weird sound after in the vid.

That is quite weird for an FA-18C engine sound

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Maybe they where trying to emulate vortex rumble or inlet rumble and it is coming on at the wrong speed or AOA.

Looking through the manuals I do not see anything indicative of that noise at that speed or AOA.

Does it only occur at specific conditions, with a specific load out? Does it seem random? Could you guys load a track so maybe guys at ED could see it after the holidays.

A track is better than I video because they can get many more parameters out of it.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

It’s a feature, not a bug ;)

That’s just the hum the F-18C makes when it gets above a certain speed. I’m not sure if it’s intake related or from the lerx but the real deal definitely does something similar. Quite what it would sound like from F2 view in real life might well be consider a “turboprop noise” and from the outside on the ground it would get doppler shifted like the above IRL video clip. Anyway it’s WIP so I’m sure it’ll be improved.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

It is to fool the enemy into thinking that the radar blip is a p-51 ;)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It’s a feature, not a bug ;)

That’s just the hum the F-18C makes when it gets above a certain speed. I’m not sure if it’s intake related or from the lerx but the real deal definitely does something similar. Quite what it would sound like from F2 view in real life might well be consider a “turboprop noise” and from the outside on the ground it would get doppler shifted like the above IRL video clip. Anyway it’s WIP so I’m sure it’ll be improved.

I get it sounds ok from a doppler effect perspective, but according to my testing, the prop noise is directly affected by engien RPM (i.e. throttle position), so I guess it needs to be worked on.

Form the F3 view I have to say it sounds veyr nice.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

When i hear the sound in the video, then i mostly though that 1st april came early this year.. ha ha and its a joke. :megalol:

But yes jets do sound different in some situations and in what angle you hear the sound from ( sometimes ) but dident notise that sound in dcs yet ;-)

I agree, it's not a bug. It's a feature, perhaps it requires a bit of tweaking but it's not a bug.

Nice, i learn new stuff everyday :) I only had to chance to hear and see Hornets in Real-Life a few times, and didn'T know about that sound, only one i ever heard was the howling, and thought that was the one people in this thread meant to be in DCS, but sounded a bit different which made me thought it was a sound bug playing the wrong sound maybe intented for placeholder, as i often heard the howling i thought of in DCS which sounded different got me wondering. Someone was able to record the howl i thought that most people talked about in this thread ont he below video at 0:23. But again, sticking to a F2 view sound different and can get confusing versus that when it passes over as you hear the sound in non-stop loop, not too often i watch sticky F2 views, specialy from the front point of view.

It sounds exactly the same as a prop plane . As if I am using a c-130

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15EF-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Please remove the turboprop sound. First...It's annoying. Second.. If you want to do the whistle... Do the right one.
We need to ascertain if this sound is real to the Hornet or not before making move to remove it.

Perhaps it a sound bug but let ED confirm this.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Don´t see any statement from ED to this... Could please anyone of the team make a statement whether it´s a bug or a feature with "unlucky" sound.

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

I've heard some strange sounds from the Hornets when I was in, including a strange buzz similar to what we're hearing here. For whatever it's worth, on my particular system, it is not throttle dependent, but airspeed dependent, and disappears above and below certain speeds, though I haven't checked altitudes.

If you listen closely, you can hear this sound emanating from the Hornet in this video at the Mach Loop. Fast forward to 5:45 for the Bug.

Edited by MurderOne

Sorry, no cool signature here.

• ED Team

When you watch F2 view, the camera moves with the same speed. Because of high speed we have a very large doppler pitch on it. Check this sound on F3 view.

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince.