Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Again I'll ask are you using nvidia dsr for the down sampling?

me? No, just Nvidia settings, custom resolution for rift and monitor to 2560*1440, same res ingame and go. thats all I did

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rift is now set up and running very well. Spotting air targets is no issue, ground targets a big no-no. Dog fighting is incredible as you have to move in a 1:1 ratio. WWII fights ends up in sitting 170°deg to your keybord and you shoot the enemy down within 10min or your neck et tiered! THIS IS JUST INSANE GOOD!

I'll attach some screens, rendered with 2560*1440 and downsampled to Rift display. Enjoy

show some pilot bodies!! (Ka50, Su27, P51D has pilot bodies...)

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

What's the hit on frame rate? And is that by using nvidia dsr?

I also have a 4770k, but 780 in SLI. Im running everythin on medium with the Rift.

Since i got less stuttering from bumpin' up the resolution, it feels much better, havn't measured it tho.

I did the same as LuSi_6, just changed the resolution in the Nvidia control panel and ingame.

DCS and Oculus Rift- Cockpits and gauges

Hi,

I made a little gallery of almost all cockpits and gauges so you can see how they look like in Oculus Rift DK2.

Also I would like to make a list of useable planes:

The most intense plane:

The K-4! The Cockpit is so small, you really feel like falling out of the plane!

Easiest to use plane (DCS Module):

No.1 : Dora. Big gauges, organized cockpit

Agz3Z7l.jpg

No.2 : K-4, again big gauges!

EfvL3hp.jpg

No.3 : P-51 Mustang. Gauges are smaller and a little harder to read than in the german planes

updWys8.jpg

No.4 : F-86 Sabre. Same as the P-51 bt new cockpit reflections are a mess

cPHKqO1.jpg

No.5 : Mig-21 (quite hard to use without a keybord...)

JWk281t.jpg

Flaming Cliffs 3:

No.1: Su-27! Gauges and HUD are bigger than in other planes, easy to read

no number 2, instuments in the F-15 are hard to read, font size in the HUD is to small

SyT1pl6.jpg

FUzvkIC.jpg

Ground attack:

only possible with IR TV (SU-25T and Maverics in A-10 A & C)

lRzuGVF.jpg

RAas5Ab.jpg

A2A:

WWII planes easy, no problem spotting targets, BVR works best in the SU-27.

Here is the whole gallery, enjoy!

http://imgur.com/a/zcG7G#36

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

nice work!

Btw on the Dora, whats with the red/brown outline on the cockpit canopy, where the metal bits meet the sky? That looks like some kind of red/blue 3D that old school movies and books used, don't tell me the oculus uses that to enhance the 3D? (I can see that its in other places as well, but most noticable between sky and canopy metal)

Each side of the image looks kind of blurry, I would have expected that the each image be very clean like on a normal monitor, except each eye a different angle. This looks like it destroys colors as well as readability.

Edited by FlyingHighAU

nice work!

Btw on the Dora, whats with the red/brown outline on the cockpit canopy, where the metal bits meet the sky? That looks like some kind of red/blue 3D that old school movies and books used, don't tell me the oculus uses that to enhance the 3D? (I can see that its in other places as well, but most noticable between sky and canopy metal)

Each side of the image looks kind of blurry, I would have expected that the each image be very clean like on a normal monitor, except each eye a different angle. This looks like it destroys colors as well as readability.

This is the image as displayed on the Rift screen. The lenses not only distort the image, but distort each color differently. When viewed through the lenses, everything looks normal.

Hi,

I made a little gallery of almost all cockpits and gauges so you can see how they look like in Oculus Rift DK2.

can you comment on the 3d-ness? how is the depth of objects? when you look outside the cockpit, do you have some sort of sense of vertigo? do things outside of the cockpit look far?

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

ok i found out you have to turn off full screen, but now when i jump in the cockpit the camera view is almost in the front dash and the the camera rotates vertically into the canopy and wont move back down, after i crash and jump into another plane the camera stays forward and head tracking works, but the view is in the front dash, is there away to recenter the camera with the oculus? the home button doesn not work like it does with freetrack

Oculus Rift and Myo Armband

This would be very cool to use to solve the problem of wearing a VR goggle and not being able to see the keyboard/Joystick/HOTAS to activate switches/controls:

http://ops.bestofmedia.com/us/ooyala_frame.html#Jrc2FxcjrKyjlJONfkYEwKRgRegRE4ox

I hope such a device will get support in DCS World/ DCS world 2

Just my 2 cents

Has anyone tried to use SweetFX with DCS?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I play DCS with OR regular in coop and using SweetFX. No major problems ;-)

How do you get SweetFX to work in DCS? The improvement it makes to iRacing and the DK2 is quite nice. I'd like to see what can happen with DCS.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

oculus camera view pans up in any plane on mission start

Hello im having a problem with the camera view when using the oculus rift for any module in dcs world. any time i first launch a mission or training mission when i press okay the camera view pans to the ceiling and NUM5 and the home button will not center the view, i have to press left shift + r to restart the mission and then it starts centered, and the num5 button works to center the view, the problem is if i restart the mission in training there is no longer voice overs, and if i restart the mission in the campaign it wont count the mission as completed if i beat it. The other solutiuon is to jump to a copilots plane. anyone know how i can fix this?

Hello im having a problem with the camera view when using the oculus rift for any module in dcs world. any time i first launch a mission or training mission when i press okay the camera view pans to the ceiling and NUM5 and the home button will not center the view, i have to press left shift + r to restart the mission and then it starts centered, and the num5 button works to center the view, the problem is if i restart the mission in training there is no longer voice overs, and if i restart the mission in the campaign it wont count the mission as completed if i beat it. The other solutiuon is to jump to a copilots plane. anyone know how i can fix this?
Run the Oculus demo scene in the Oculus config utility and click recenter. Then launch dcs and see if there is any difference.