Desperately need help with the Sabre controls.

Dudester22

Can anyone help me out with the controls on the Sabre? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but here is the list of problems I'm having with it.

1) The control on the TM Hotas joystick seems very sensitive, is it suppose to be like this or do I need to configure it? Say I push down on the joystick, I have noticed at times that the Jet spring back up quite quickly and then keeps rising even though I have my joystick centered. Is this because this aircraft constantly needs trimming?

2) The other thing I have noticed is the closer I get to the ground the more difficult it is to handle it, it seems even more sensitive to stick movements when closer to the ground and I'm again not sure if it's meant to do this.

3) What should I set my curves to on the Saitek Combat rudder pedals. I leave them as they are on the A10C, but I'm all over the place with them like this in the Sabre.

Has anyone found they need to change any joystick or rudder peddles to make this Jet more manageable? Apart from this I am really like the Sabre, but just wondered what I'm doing wrong because I find I'm fighting the controls alot of the time. Cheers!

I found that I had to tweak my Warthog Pitch and Roll curves to about 15 in order to get a good level of control. That seems to have resolved the challenges for me.

I haven't had to change the rudder settings at all.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

I haven't decided about the rudder yet but, with a four inch extension, the stick was sensitive but controllable. For a stock stick I can see where a bit of curve might be useful.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The Sabre really is a hands-on jet meaning it needs to be flown and trimmed constantly when changing speed, alt, heading etc, it not like the F-15 where you can "let it fly".

You'll get used to it with more practice. Take-off for me we very yo-yo like for awhile there.. :D

I personally prefer now to leave all dcs aircraft pitch curves at stock.

One thing I do every time I jump in a dcs aircraft (using X-52) is move the stick to all it's maximum travel limits, this de-sensitises the axis inputs, if i don't do this the stick is twice as sensitive as it should be. :)

Thanks for the replies, but I have just found out why the Sabre is jumping about everywhere. For some reason my Axis setup reset itself and I was flying with the thrust setup on my TM Hotas stick, aswell as my CH Quadrant and the MFCD's. How I managed to land the thing with My Axis like this is beyond me :doh:.

I did change the Curves after setting it back up correctly though and found my sweet spot to be 8, so thanks for that. I'll have a look at setting the curves on the peddles though, it's just I find having to hold the button in for nose wheel stirring a bit weird. I'm used to toggling it in the A10C and it just feels different holding it in.

Edited by Dudester22

I found the problems I was having with nose wheel steering was due to a delay in control. I was compensating for some rightward movement and by the time it was coming back left it was too late to keep it from swinging way to the left.

I keep my stock axis settings, now I just steer less, but more deliberately and give the nose wheel a chance to catch up to what I want.

Hello,

I use the TM Warthog and I would like to know if you can give me your setings for the Roll and Pitch ?

Thanks, Skull.

Hi Skull

I am in the process in doing a profile for the 86 which I have included full trim control using the trim hat, also add flap control, Air brake etc . I can send it if you want. Timm

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne

Does anyone else have problems with the brakes? Regardless of what curves or what settings I use and set for left/right brake, they seem to want to lock up allmost at an instant.

I have a very very small margin of actual braking until they lock up, and I checked everything on my end. All seems to works out fine and it works fine on my other planes and games.

I'd love to try your profile

Hi,

No problems, if you can PM me your email address I will send out. Now this is very much WIP as I'm finding certain commands do't work in TARGET so those I have put through the normal game setting. Like other posts I'm have problems in trying to get the nose wheel/brakes set up but not having much luck here. Now the commands I have put into the TWH are.

ON THE STICK

1. Full Trim command on the TRIM Button (Nose UP/DOWN, Left/Right wing UP/DOWN)

2. Fire control on the two main weapon buttons. (In Game Command)

3. TRACKIR setup (PAUSE/RESET) on the button directly below the WEAPON RELEASE.

4. Cockpit pan on the lower hat switch. (In Game Command)

5. Comms Button on the top side button.

6. Brakes on the Long trigger like thingy on the stick

7. Cockpit/External View - along with Zoom IN/OUT on the grey side button.

ON THROTTLE

1. Quick start/Close down (For those who want a quick start) on the ENG FLOW LEFT/RIGHT)

2. Speed Brakes- When you bring back the speed brake button and as long as you keep this back the brakes will stay open, when released they will close. The forward button on this switch I have assigned the reset for the flaps.

3. Flaps UP/DOWN as per the flap button. It seems that by default this has been set midway so a quick flick and they are either up or down.

4. Landing gear I have assigned to the EAC button at the bottom left side.

As I mentioned this is very much WIP so please be aware of this. My main command I wanted was the trim button as I thought this aircraft was very jumpy and needed taming these commands have done that.

Regards Timm

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne

The best way to fly PFM is to extend your stick about a foot and leave the curve flat.

Why stop at 1 foot?

attachment.php?attachmentid=89927&d=1382536946

I extended mine by 2 foot (:

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

IIRC the brake axes are inverted on the A-10C as well, so for consistency's sake they'd have to fix both, or keep both "broken" (I mean, it's not a big deal, you set it up once and forget about it).

The brakes are inverted on every single DCS aircraft that has them.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Why stop at 1 foot?

I extended mine by 2 foot (:

Well, Yo-Yo recommends leaving the pitch and roll curvature settings flat to fully realize their PFM. With a foot of extension, control surfaces reach maximum deflection about 3/4 of the stick travel. I'm thinking of cutting down some.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

• 2 weeks later...

On my stock TM Warthog, I set the pitch axis Y Saturation to about 70. Pitch only. I don't even need a curve because even under the most extreme circumstances I can still overload my AoA before the stick bottoms out. I like the other axes to be real responsive though, so I leave those alone. This tweak is only to keep me from exceeding my AoA. If the saturation is at 100, I find myself bouncing from one extreme to the other.

To the OP:

I have no difference in sensitivity with altitude. When you are at this low altitude, are you at high speeds? This will definitely make the controls more sensitive. Also when you are up around 30,000 ft. and traveling at a good clip, she likes to be handled very gently. Any kind of aggressive moves will do all sorts of craziness. Other than that I don't know what is up.

About the brakes:

The little documentation we have so far mentions that the brakes should be handled lightly, but early. The screeching sound seems to play when you apply some force, and continues to play even if the brakes do not lock up. I don't own the Saitek combat rudder pedals, but from the looks of them there is not much total travel in the toe. That would make them more sensitive.

• 7 months later...
Thanks for the replies, but I have just found out why the Sabre is jumping about everywhere. For some reason my Axis setup reset itself and I was flying with the thrust setup on my TM Hotas stick, aswell as my CH Quadrant and the MFCD's. How I managed to land the thing with My Axis like this is beyond me :doh:.

I did change the Curves after setting it back up correctly though and found my sweet spot to be 8, so thanks for that. I'll have a look at setting the curves on the peddles though, it's just I find having to hold the button in for nose wheel stirring a bit weird. I'm used to toggling it in the A10C and it just feels different holding it in.

I have CH Products controllers of Fighterstick USB, Pro Throttle USB and Pro Pedals USB. I use the F-86F Real setup.

AXIS_TUNE

========

For me, Curvature of +8 works good for pitch and roll, rudder is +10, deadzone is +5 for each.

Brakes?

=====

Deadzone = +2

Saturation X = +100

Saturation X = +30

Curvature = 0

Slider is checked

Invert is checked

I roll out on landing to the start of the opposite end runway's tire marks then apply full brakes. Mine are set in Axis Commands as separate Left and Right brakes.

I post my settings because I did a lot of reading within the F-86 Forums to see how others here approach the issue of controlling a twitchy aircraft concerning the Roll axis. I use CH Products gear using its Control Manager.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]