In-Cockpit Sound

Airway

Is the MiG-21 really so quiet in the cockpit, as all preview videos show, or is footage from videos inside a real MiG-21 cockpit with a tremendous amount of engine noise more realistic?

All I can hear inside the Leatherneck MiG-21 is a faint humming and some pneumatic hissing from the brakes? :huh:

Actually, maybe this is an general DCS issue. I notice the same "problem" in my A-10C.

My sound settings specific to that are Vol, World, In Cockpit = 100 and Helmet = 50 (as default is In Cockpit and Helmet the other way round). It always worked fine in earlier versions down to Lock On, but I didn't touch the A-10C since like 1.2.6. Back then I could hear the engines quite well, but now at 1.2.10 I just hear the inverters or whatever eletrics extemely loud and the engines almost null. I used to throttle by ear, but this is virtually impossible now. Exactly what I see in every MiG-21 footage out yet. So it must be something else than just the sound settings.

Edit: Seems I'm not the only one :) - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128367&highlight=engine+volume

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The sound in the cockpit is one of those things we hope to improve ASAP.

That said however, the sound for a MIG-21 pilot is actually very muffled and somewhat silent. This due to the headgear and headphones that are equipped.

Ah, ok.

In FSX there's an option in the A2A Simulations B-17 Flying Fortress to put on the headphones on, that mutes the noise also.

In a jet where the pilot sits on the jet intake I would expect more noise but as you say, hard in a simulation to get the nice loud powerful noise of the engine and besides that, the more faint noises of all other systems and tech stuff.

Really lke the sound of the air system of the brakes :)

So I will take it with the LN MiG-21 as with the women - enjoy the view and don't listen to the drivel :D

I Must say..based on the videos.... I am really impressed by even the current sound samples for the Mig 21. The best is the sound of the landing gear coming up and the clunk sound of it being retracted into the bay. So awesome. No other DCS module/aircraft has got that sound "feeling" right.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

I Must say..based on the videos.... I am really impressed by even the current sound samples for the Mig 21. The best is the sound of the landing gear coming up and the clunk sound of it being retracted into the bay. So awesome. No other DCS module/aircraft has got that sound "feeling" right.

Actually the Dora has very nice and satisfying gear up/down sounds

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

I always chime in on these post...

To me it is like a blind man. Since he can not see he has better hearing.

As sim pilots since we can not feel the AC like a real world pilot can (and they use that sense very much) we need the extra sense of sound.

I am sure LN has it all figured out. Just wanted to vote for a bit more engine noise in all sims - even if it is not exactly what real pilots hear.

Thanks - just one mans opinion.

Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win.

Callsign: Need

Shu-Ha-Ri

This video appears to not mute the sound. Having flown in several jets, including F-18 and F5, the sound is fairly muted with the helmet on BUT you 'feel the sound' more. IOW, you can feel the increase in speed, the engines wind up etc. We are missing that feel in all SIMS.

The sound in the cockpit is one of those things we hope to improve ASAP.

That said however, the sound for a MIG-21 pilot is actually very muffled and somewhat silent. This due to the headgear and headphones that are equipped.

With that said, it would be be great to toggle headphones enabled or disabled for the pilot.

Edited by RUS38