Autorotation Video

A short video demonstration of an autorotation landing is available in the video downloads section:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?end_pos=133&scr=products&lang=en

Allow me to make a few notes. ED is experimenting with the rotor visualization model at the moment, which is why you see the rotor textures suddenly change when the helicopter approaches (LOD switch). This is a WIP issue and will be fixed. Also, when the rotors appear to stop in mid-air, this is a strobe illusion caused by in-game or video FPS matching the rotation frequency.

Finally, note the dynamic gear modeling and use of the collective to naturally decay the rotor RPM on the ground.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

ED is experimenting with the rotor visualization model at the moment, which is why you see the rotor textures suddenly change when the helicopter approaches (LOD switch)

I don't see nothing wrong with the texture, I think it look amazing and very realistic. I did not notice the change.

Also, when the rotors appear to stop in mid-air, this is a strobe illusion caused by in-game or video FPS matching the rotation frequency.

I see the same effect in real helicopter videos, I think it ad to the look of the game. I don't mean to sound like I'm kissing a.. but The game look fine to me, 10 time better that any other helicopter game I have seen out there. Any way very cool thanks

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

look at the way the suspension works as the heli hits the ground. looks fantastic

HP TouchSmart IQ816 / 25.5" HD touch screen / 9600GS 512/ Core 2 Duo 2.16 / 4GB RAM / VISTA 64 / CH Fighterstick

It's a great video to see a lot of physics working. The rotorblades bending up, when the collective is pulled, just before touchdown, the suspension working to dampen the impact, the helo bumping forward, just awesome.

I think what makes the impression that the rotors are actually standing still on first glance is the transition of textures you mentioned. The blur makes it look very fast rotating at the beginning, then a LOD-step up, it looks like the rotation speed dramatically dropped until a full stop.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Autorotation

Nice indeed! Like as written in the handbook:D

How about main rotor RPM and blades' AoA before touchdown (what is the normal RPM)?

THX!

За всю историю никто и никогда не сумел завоевать Афганистан. Hикто и никогда

Having done a mind-numbing amount of these in RL, I can't wait to get my hands on this flight model to try this out.

My opinion, which is not much because I have not flown this FM, is that he was a little late starting the flare and I'm not sure if he did a full collective pull after leveling off right before he hit the ground.

Also, you would never want to use the collective to "naturally" decay the RPM of the rotor once already on the ground. It's stressful on the blades as they are not meant to have lifting forces on them at slower speeds. I think he was just highlighting the physics of it though, which is impressive.

... rotor textures suddenly change when the helicopter approaches (LOD switch).

Also rear landing gear slightly changes. But I'm sure you have noticed that along the rotor :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

C2D E4500@3GHz + Scythe Katana , 2GB/800, GF9600GT@720 (GV-NX96T512HP), Cyborg Evo, Freetrack (2.2), Samsung 20" @1680x1050, Fortron BSII 400W (peak 430W), Win7 HP x64

But it's not big deal. It looks allright IMO.

Agreed - I reckon if you're in that position attempting to wrestle her to the Ground with the intention of savouring a Vodka afterwards and not sucking your Lunch through a virtual straw for the next coupla weeks, the texture change will be the least of your problems!

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I would like to have this one with in-cockpit-view via split screen and ingame sound. Or is the sound model not finished jet?

Me too.

But no complaints here. That was fricken cool!!:thumbup:

Thanks for sharing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.6 GHz // Motherboard - ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO // GFX - ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB // RAM - Patriot-Viper II 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3-1600 // Audio - Creative X-FI Platinum // OS - Windows 7 Home x64 Bit

CH Fighterstick // CH Pro Pedals // CH Pro Throttle // TrackIR 4 // Eyefinity 20"x3 Portrait :joystick:

A German CH-53 active pilot tried the simulation on the LLTM 2008 and he was amazed that all the "effects" like vortex ring state, flaring with ground effect is correctly modeled.

By your words I can't wait anymore, I am so hungry for Kamov :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

• ED Team
Now You teasing me Groove ;) :P Can't wait then even more than ever. Will there be a lesson implemented to learn autorotation?

Yes, we'll try to make one. :)

And as for me this kind of landing is one the most interesting challenge.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I think BlackShark will really set some new milestones to distinguish flightgames and simulations. Really, really great work. :thumbup:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

very nice video well done, nice flying as well.

Nice flying but poor FPS spoils alot. Especialy that it's all about physics->animation here. The latest SimHQ's video is more fun to watch. Could you please make following videos with higher FPS?